How Far with a 7mm Rem Mag?-Elk Hunting

Go the the range, shoot a bunch. There is a big difference between hitting where you want at 300 yards vs 600 yards. And then try it without being on a shooting bench, that will really tell you if you want to take a shot or not. I passed up shooting at an elk last fall at 750 yards. To much wind and couldn't get comfortable enough to make the shot. Plus it was later in the day and across a steep ravine. The next day I was back and still passed at 700. I'd rather not shoot than cripple one.

Go the the range, shoot a bunch. There is a big difference between hitting where you want at 300 yards vs 600 yards. And then try it without being on a shooting bench, that will really tell you if you want to take a shot or not. I passed up shooting at an elk last fall at 750 yards. To much wind and couldn't get comfortable enough to make the shot. Plus it was later in the day and across a steep ravine. The next day I was back and still passed at 700. I'd rather not shoot than cripple one.
Understood, and agreed! Definitely want to make an ethical shot! Thank you for the info!

OP, just so that you completely understand, these highly experienced hunters picked up right away on your inexperience in the field. Wounding a big animal like an elk means he'll run off, maybe miles, and die in some God forsaken place. And the animal isn't recovered and left to rot. We end up finding it.

Just asking the question you asked totally shows the inexperience you have. Unfortunately social media in various videos promotes this mentality. It makes me outraged. It shows a careless disregard for the animal. Armed-services snipers take years of training and shooting in various circumstances. It's less the caliber and more shot placement. My outfitter, a major rancher, has told me he killed elk with a .22-250. And he also had a client shoot one with a 7mm mag at 700 yards with a Berger bullet, and run off. Type of bullet? Wind? Quality/accuracy of the rifle? time of day? Temp? Corvallis Effect? Accuracy of the rangefinder? Altitude? Bullet design & weight? Shooter experience, trigger pull, etc. The further you go out, the more complicated it gets. Your efforts are better spent early on in honing down your hunting skills and keeping shots to say 200 or 300 yards. Clint Eastwood: "A man has to know his limitations".

OP, just so that you completely understand, these highly experienced hunters picked up right away on your inexperience in the field. Wounding a big animal like an elk means he'll run off, maybe miles, and die in some God forsaken place. And the animal isn't recovered and left to rot. We end up finding it.

Just asking the question you asked totally shows the inexperience you have. Unfortunately social media in various videos promotes this mentality. It makes me outraged. It shows a careless disregard for the animal. Armed-services snipers take years of training and shooting in various circumstances. It's less the caliber and more shot placement. My outfitter, a major rancher, has told me he killed elk with a .22-250. And he also had a client shoot one with a 7mm mag at 700 yards with a Berger bullet, and run off. Type of bullet? Wind? Quality/accuracy of the rifle? time of day? Temp? Corvallis Effect? Accuracy of the rangefinder? Altitude? Bullet design & weight? Shooter experience, trigger pull, etc. The further you go out, the more complicated it gets. Your efforts are better spent early on in honing down your hunting skills and keeping shots to say 200 or 300 yards. Clint Eastwood: "A man has to know his limitations".
If you have to ask that question…then your max range is pretty short.
Hello, All,
I know that I have posted some posts from a few members that replied to this thread but, I am speaking to everyone. I have seen that this thread I have started has caused some "interesting" responses to my initial thread. I probably should have asked my question in a different, better to understand way. My initial question was meant to mean "For someone that has experience shooting a long distance, how far do you feel comfortable shooting an elk with a 7mm rem mag for an ethical kill?" The question that I asked does not mean that I am going to go start shooting at elk 500, 600, or 700 plus yards. I was simply asking that question so that I didn't waste money on a rifle that may not be enough rifle for an elk at a certain range. I never have or would want to shoot or harm an animal that I am certain that I could not have good shot placement on. I am not or have ever claimed to a good and effective at shooting long range. And I know that I don't know even half of what some members know. I was just wanting to know if it was a good caliber for that, if/when I became a better long-range shot. I hope that this clears some things up and let's everyone know that I am not and never have been a "reckless" hunter. I am sorry for the confusion that this thread may have caused. Thank you all, for your info, knowledge, and wisdom.

PS: The Danny Devito meme was hysterical!!

If I recall correctly, in the early days of the Gunwerks-based videos, the 7mm RM was one of their favorite cartridges.

My brother has a GW LR1000 in 7mm RM. He uses 168 gr Bergers in it and he has done well on elk out to about 650 yards.

If I recall correctly, in the early days of the Gunwerks-based videos, the 7mm RM was one of their favorite cartridges.

My brother has a GW LR1000 in 7mm RM. He uses 168 gr Bergers in it and he has done well on elk out to about 650 yards.
Best of the West started it all in my opinion. Used to watch it over 20 years ago. And the 7mm Remington Magnum was the cartridge of choice then. mtmuley

Best of the West started it all in my opinion. Used to watch it over 20 years ago. And the 7mm Remington Magnum was the cartridge of choice then. mtmuley
Best of the West is what I was thinking of. I think Gunwerks was the evolution of or a spin-off of BOTW.

That cartridge exceeds my personal max effective shooting range. I have my personal limitations for shooting distance, and the 7 MAG goes a lot further than I can. It's a good round. Bang bang.

Your questions have me concerned. There is so much more that goes into shooting distance than the cartridge.

Are you able to?
Is the gun good enough quality to?
Is the glass good enough?
Quality range finder?
Do you have the ability practice a lot at the distance?
How do you handle recoil?
Have you felt these calibers recoil?

You really need to go to the range with a mentor and do a session to answer these questions.
Adding to this.....
How much are you willing to practice?
How much money are you willing to spend on said practice?
Practice needs to be done in multiple conditions not just on a sunny Tuesday at 2.

Hello, All,
I know that I have posted some posts from a few members that replied to this thread but, I am speaking to everyone. I have seen that this thread I have started has caused some "interesting" responses to my initial thread. I probably should have asked my question in a different, better to understand way. My initial question was meant to mean "For someone that has experience shooting a long distance, how far do you feel comfortable shooting an elk with a 7mm rem mag for an ethical kill?" The question that I asked does not mean that I am going to go start shooting at elk 500, 600, or 700 plus yards. I was simply asking that question so that I didn't waste money on a rifle that may not be enough rifle for an elk at a certain range. I never have or would want to shoot or harm an animal that I am certain that I could not have good shot placement on. I am not or have ever claimed to a good and effective at shooting long range. And I know that I don't know even half of what some members know. I was just wanting to know if it was a good caliber for that, if/when I became a better long-range shot. I hope that this clears some things up and let's everyone know that I am not and never have been a "reckless" hunter. I am sorry for the confusion that this thread may have caused. Thank you all, for your info, knowledge, and wisdom.

PS: The Danny Devito meme was hysterical!!
I have thought a lot about your response. I would still have to say that I don't think you have absorbed what experienced hunters are telling you. I could hunt elk with my .338 win mag, my .300 win mag, my 7mm Rem Mag, or my .25-06. Any of those calibers could wound or immediately kill an elk at any distance. It might take days for that elk to die DEPENDING ON SHOT PLACEMENT. FOLLOW? Yes, bullet remaining energy is important, but the more important lesson that everyone is trying to explain to you is that, we try at all costs, to not push the edge of the envelope and take marginal shots. You can find the remaining energy in ballistic tables yourself. But nobody can train you for hunter judgement. What everybody was trying to focus you on was to get away from the mentality about worrying about the marginal shot (like all the youtube videos do) and focus on your hunting skills and getting as close to the animal as possible. Get that Hail Mary shot out of your mind. These youtube videos don't tell ya how many times these jokers have had a wounded animal run off and die lost in the woods. It is bad hunter ethics in my opinion. Food for thought, and not to beat a dead horse, but it needed to be said again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back