How Far with a 7mm Rem Mag?-Elk Hunting

A better mindset is...how close do you think I can get to an elk before taking a shot.

If you have the wind in your face, and move with stealth, elk are not the most nervous animal out there.

There are all sorts of caliber choices that will kill elk all day long out to 300 yards, without even referring to a range finder. Most of them will work to 400 yards with a modest adjustment for the range.

Quite often it is just too windy to take very long shots. The good news is that most of the time when it's that windy, you can use it to your advantage to get closer.

A better mindset is...how close do you think I can get to an elk before taking a shot.

If you have the wind in your face, and move with stealth, elk are not the most nervous animal out there.

There are all sorts of caliber choices that will kill elk all day long out to 300 yards, without even referring to a range finder. Most of them will work to 400 yards with a modest adjustment for the range.

Quite often it is just too windy to take very long shots. The good news is that most of the time when it's that windy, you can use it to your advantage to get closer.
Understood. Agreed! Getting as close as possible without scaring the elk off is always the best bet. Just wanted to see that if I needed at some point to make a longer shot the 7mm rem mag could do it on an elk. Thank you for the info and wisdom, it is very appreciated!!

Understood. Agreed! Getting as close as possible without scaring the elk off is always the best bet. Just wanted to see that if I needed at some point to make a longer shot the 7mm rem mag could do it on an elk. Thank you for the info and wisdom, it is very appreciated!!

The 7mm mag would certainly be included in any list of good elk calibers.

Good Afternoon,
Thank you to everyone who responded to my "6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?" thread. After reviewing the thread and the info, I have one more question. How far of a shot would you be willing to take a shot at an elk with a 7mm rem mag? Thank you for any and all info and wisdom!

With an @brockel cast off and good optics I'd trust a 7RM as far as the 7 Mashburn Super Mag I snagged from him...

As a 7 mm mag fan (I have two rem and a whty) I zero at 100 and shoot steel out to 400 yards with factory ammo. My max range is 400 yard but most of my elk have been between 100 and 350 yards. I don’t like shooting past 400 it seems like a lot can happen then especially with the weather and wind I have in my hunting area. I have harvested five elk in 12 years so take my knowledge with a grain of salt.

As a 7 mm mag fan (I have two rem and a whty) I zero at 100 and shoot steel out to 400 yards with factory ammo. My max range is 400 yard but most of my elk have been between 100 and 350 yards. I don’t like shooting past 400 it seems like a lot can happen then especially with the weather and wind I have in my hunting area.
Understood. Thank you for the info!!

I chose the 7 mag for a build because I felt the cartridge was good to 500 yards for elk, which would be my max range. That’s with an accubond as heavy as I can get/whatever the gun likes. YMMV

Define long range...

You made me think about this.

I don't think you can put a constant numerical number to define "long range". There are just so many things to consider.

It is easier, everything else equal to hit an elk in the vitals than it is a pronghorn.

Some of it depends on the precision of the rifle and the ability of the hunter to shoot it to its potential.

Wind is variable that the longer the shot, the more accurately it needs to be calculated.

I think a reasonable in the field accuracy, it is not easy to tighten it up more than 2moa. Some can do better, more than a few can't

So, imo in the field shooting from shooting sticks or over a day pack, shots >250 yards are edging to being long range. A good bipod will beat a day pack or shooting sticks, but they have their shortcomings at times.

When I reflect on the moose, elk, and mountain goats I've killed, ~200 yards is about average. Most of the deer have been closer than that.

You made me think about this.

I don't think you can put a constant numerical number to define "long range". There are just so many things to consider.

It is easier, everything else equal to hit an elk in the vitals than it is a pronghorn.

Some of it depends on the precision of the rifle and the ability of the hunter to shoot it to its potential.

Wind is variable that the longer the shot, the more accurately it needs to be calculated.

I think a reasonable in the field accuracy, it is not easy to tighten it up more than 2moa. Some can do better, more than a few can't

So, imo in the field shooting from shooting sticks or over a day pack, shots >250 yards are edging to being long range. A good bipod will beat a day pack or shooting sticks, but they have their shortcomings at times.

When I reflect on the moose, elk, and mountain goats I've killed, ~200 yards is about average. Most of the deer have been closer than that.
Exactly, it differs with every shooter's skillset...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back