MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CVA Optima V2 LR DTC Load

This is where I'm at. I have half a jug from when it was still 10oz and 777 is my replacement.

EDIT: I see you ordered some bore drivers. 100 grains seems to be where a lot of people end up but if you have time to invest in load testing maybe starting down around 85 would be beneficial. There could be sweet spot in there.

IIRC, that's a 209 primed rifle so do yourself a favor and use Federal209A or CCI Mag primers and skip over those that are labeled "muzzleloader" they are anemic compared to others. Those hotter primers will help with the heavier powder charges but the world will not end if you can't find some. Cheddite primers seem to be readily available and are similar to Winchester 209s in "power" and will do the job.

You'll find that Power Belts are made with soft lead to obturate to the rifling. This can make them splat when they hit animals...good or bad depending on your train of thought. The will knock down a deer but as others said there are plenty of bullets to try but since you're on a short timetable I'd probably stick to what you can grab locally and having a Mil Discount from BPI makes power belts an economical option.
I picked up some 777 30 grain pellets when I was out later today. Of all places, the pawn shot had them. So, I can run different increment loads. I will start at 80 and see how that does.

I was going to slap my standard Burris Fullfield scope on it, but started reading about the need for more eye relief and an adjusted drop compensation for the lower velocities.

I went with a Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x40 SLUG GUN / MUZZLELOADER scope. Impressive eye relief of 4.3 inches. Was going to go with the Leupold, but they were out of stock for military discount.

Anyone using this scope?

Well, what the heck. I bought a pound of Blackhorn 209 today. I have the new breech plug on the way. Dang near bought the Barnes bullets they had, but I am sticking with the Hornady.

Well, what the heck. I bought a pound of Blackhorn 209 today. I have the new breech plug on the way. Dang near bought the Barnes bullets they had, but I am sticking with the Hornady.
You'll be happy with the Hornadys

Well, first day at the range with the Optima. I absolutely love this rifle and the trigger is just like my CVA rifles. Just a little less than three lbs and zero creep. I am recoil sensitive and was watching people shoot this rifle and I have to admit, I was a little hesitant. I think maybe they were shooting magnum loads, because I hardly even noticed it. Just a push more than a kick.

Worked at getting it sighted in and zeroed. It was a little odd as my scope is 1/4 MOA, but it seemed to make huge jumps when I adjusted correctly. I started at 25, moved to 50 and then 100. I finally decided to stop chasing the scope and shoot one group.

This is 100 grains of 777 pellet and a 290 Hornady Bore Driver. Not horrible, but not where I want it.

Waiting for my Blackhorn breech plug to get here and do some groups with that.

100 grains 777_290 Hornady Bore Driver.jpg

I got the BH209 Breech Plug in today. Will be testing Thursday or Friday. Got a little over 2 weeks to be ready.

After doing some reading I ordered some 250 grain Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ bullets. All I hear is super accurate.

After doing some reading I ordered some 250 grain Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ bullets. All I hear is super accurate.

You hear correctly. T-EZs are the easy button for muzzleloader hunting whitetail. Put them over anywhere from 80 to 100 grains by volume of BH 209, and you'll almost certainly be much more accurate than you'll ever need to be.

Another note that has been touched on, but could perhaps use clarification. BH209 requires both full strength 209 primers and the Blackhorn-specific breech plug. If either "muzzleloader 209 primers" or the stock breech plug is used, you may or may not experience malfunctions periodically... BH209's ignition temp is about 150 degrees hotter than most blackpowder subs on the market and it can be finicky, depending on the rifle. I use 777 in my Optima.

You hear correctly. T-EZs are the easy button for muzzleloader hunting whitetail. Put them over anywhere from 80 to 100 grains by volume of BH 209, and you'll almost certainly be much more accurate than you'll ever need to be.

Another note that has been touched on, but could perhaps use clarification. BH209 requires both full strength 209 primers and the Blackhorn-specific breech plug. If either "muzzleloader 209 primers" or the stock breech plug is used, you may or may not experience malfunctions periodically... BH209's ignition temp is about 150 degrees hotter than most blackpowder subs on the market and it can be finicky, depending on the rifle. I use 777 in my Optima.
Thanks. I got the BH209 breech plug for the powder. I just picked up some 250 and 290 grains at the shop. I want to test groups with both the BH209 and the T7. Only 15 in the box, so I need to save at least 5 for hunting season or until I can get more if I get good groups.

Thanks. I got the BH209 breech plug for the powder. I just picked up some 250 and 290 grains at the shop. I want to test groups with both the BH209 and the T7. Only 15 in the box, so I need to save at least 5 for hunting season or until I can get more if I get good groups.

Love it. I'd stick with the 250s if you only have the 15 to play with. Put those over 90 grains of either propellant and you should be set!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back