Powder/Bullet Combo for Elk

Howdy Folks,
Picked up my first UT any bull muzzleloader elk tag and I have a question regarding powder/bullet combo for bull elk.

What is your favorite powder/bullet combo for muzzleloader hunting elk? I shoot a CVA Accura V2 open sights. My set up for mule deer is a 100gr of IMR White Hot pellets with a 250gr Barnes Expander MZ .50 sabot bullet. Is that suffice for elk?

Thank you for your feedback.
-SDS14
I've been shooting a 54 cal pedersoli Hawken with a Lyman peep and a lee shaver 17A globe front. loaded with 95 grns of 777 2f and a 485 grn no excuses conical. It's a 2" at 100 yards gun and absolutely hammers on both ends. I've also shot a Spanish made CVA 50 cal with the same front and a williams rear peep. I load it with 85 grains of 777 3f and a 275 grn maxihunter. Groups are about the same and that bullet performs well on deer, but for elk I've been looking at trying the Lee REAL bullet in 300 grns. Will have to put in some more range time though. Honestly it's hard to go away from the 54 but the 50 is a little more friendly on the shoulder.

Howdy Folks,
Picked up my first UT any bull muzzleloader elk tag and I have a question regarding powder/bullet combo for bull elk.

What is your favorite powder/bullet combo for muzzleloader hunting elk? I shoot a CVA Accura V2 open sights. My set up for mule deer is a 100gr of IMR White Hot pellets with a 250gr Barnes Expander MZ .50 sabot bullet. Is that suffice for elk?

Thank you for your feedback.
-SDS14
I used to ml hunt Colorado and always used 348gr powerboats with pyrodex powder. Killed a couple of bulls and several cow elk. I always hunted dark timber so no shots over 100 yards. Lots of options to select from.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back