Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Let me copy your muzzleloader process.

beginnerhunter

Been frustrated getting my muzzleloader to group well. Also missed a good buck recently even though the shot was close range and felt good.

If you have a load that you like, please tell me what you use. I have a CVA optima with a scope. I torqued the scope rings to recommended specs. I'm looking for bullet, powder or pellets (80-120 grains), and also your process (starting with clean barrel, fire primers?, run a patch after every shot?, dry patch?, spit patch?, solvent patch?, how many?, hunt with fouled barrel?, you get the idea...DETAILS). I'm interested in the Barnes sabot bullets if anyone has a good process with those but open to hearing about anything. I've seen posts similar to this before but always lacking in crucial details. Thanks!!!

CVA Accura. Modified breech plug for BH 209 powder which varies from 90-120 grains depending on how bad I want to punish my shoulder. 120 grains of BH is an ass kicker IMO, only think similar I have shot is 3" slugs in a 12 gauge. I shoot 250 grain hornady sabots. I clean about every 20 or so shots with the foam, leave it overnight. Nothing between shots. Regular old 209 primers.

I'm very much a novice when it comes to muzzleloaders but for me, it definitely makes a difference firing a clean barrel versus fouled. I used Thor bullets and Terry told me to fire a squib shot first. Basically you put about 50 grains of powder down the barrel, keep it upright and shoot it. That fouls the barrel and as long as that fires, you know for sure that when you load your actual round, that it will fire.

Hopefully someone else will have some advice for getting an accurate load. I have an older CVA Buckhorn and used 100 grains of Triple 7 and I think it was 300 grain Thor bullets. With a scope I was getting 2-3" groups at 100 yards which was fine for me.

Back when I was ML hunting, I had good results from 100 gr. Pyrodex and powerbelt bullets. I never could get the Hornady Sabots to shoot worth a darn from the gun at the time. I got a steal on the powerbelts when I lived in MT, at $2.50 a package, I bought the place out.

Beginner,
As stated above the Powerbelts did group well and if they are legal in the state you hunt great.
My TC Omega had I believe a 1-28 twist and shot them well, they just overexpanded in the 1st half of the deer.
I have shot many different companies "bore size bullets" which usually group decent in all my TC guns.
In my quest to find a bullet that will stay together long enough to expand and pass through the deer I am ready to "try" the Scorpion bullets in the black crush rib sabot.
As far as helping you shrink your group size..........there are (4) things I would check.
(1) Try the lowest powder charge that is reasonable whether you use 777 / BH 209 / Pyrodex or whatever ( ML accuracy is a function of the powder charge)
(2) Ensure that you are seating your ramrod to the same depth against the charge (use tape around the stick until your load is determined) and then mark it with your knife
(3) Try another scope to be sure it is not your issue or possibly use the iron sights to determine if it is the scope
(4) Heavier bullets typically group better in M/L.........there is certainly a best load for your rifle out there you just need to find it

Clean barrel, 90 pryrodex, and 45 cal 240g Hornady XTP pistol bullets in a black jacket. Absolutely deadly.

Clean barrel, 90 pryrodex, and 45 cal 240g Hornady XTP pistol bullets in a black jacket. Absolutely deadly.

CVA Accura. Modified breech plug for BH 209 powder which varies from 90-120 grains depending on how bad I want to punish my shoulder. 120 grains of BH is an ass kicker IMO, only think similar I have shot is 3" slugs in a 12 gauge. I shoot 250 grain hornady sabots. I clean about every 20 or so shots with the foam, leave it overnight. Nothing between shots. Regular old 209 primers.

Thanks, that was exactly the type of info/process I was wanting. That's a lot of shots but I hear BH powder burns fairly clean so good to know you are able to do that. Have you had good results with the Hornady as far as lethality?

Thanks to everyone for the responses, would love to see more!

I have a CVA Optima V2. I shoot 85 grns BH 209 behind a 265 grn FTX .44cal in a T/C green mag sabot and Winchester 209 primers. I shoot about one inch groups at 100 yards with a 3-9 scope off the bench. My son has an older Optima (similar to the wolf) he is shooting 70 grns BH 209 behind a 250 grn Hornady. He to shoots one inch groups at 100 yards with a 2-7 scope off the bench. They are both 1 in 28 twist like yours. Good luck. You just need to try different combos to see what your gun likes. Like stated above seat the bullet the same each time. Consistency is the key.

I also don't do any cleaning between shots. BH 209 burns very clean. If you use 777 or Pryrodex you will want to run a spit patch down the barrel about every other shot.

I 2nd or third the use of BH209 (84 gr (EDIT: by weight) is their recommended max, by the way).

CVA Accura V2
My process is to clean the barrel and then foul with a primer shot.
76.5 grain (weight) BH209 with CCI Magnum 209 primers, gave me my best groups for the Barnes 250 TEZ. I weigh them out in little capped plastic tubes I got off ebay a few years ago.
Every 5 shots I use a drill bit to clean the flash channel on the breech blug and I swab every 5-10 shots with a dry patch.
Every 20 shots I clean with wet and then dry patches (multiple runs).
I'm sighted in for 175 yards, which puts me 3" high at 100 yards and about 3", 6", and 12" inches low at 200, 225, and 250. Good enough for elk, which is the only animal I use this for.

Last edited:
I 2nd or third the use of BH209 (84 gr is their recommended max, by the way).

that's 84 grains by weight...120 by volume.

There is a lot to be said about switching to individually weighed charges with BH209 as it has such big kernels and in my case bridges really bad in my measure. I really need to start doing it myself

I have a TC Encore 50cal and shoot 100gr triple 7 (2 50gr pellets) with Hornady sabots using the 240gr XTP 44cal pistol bullets. If i do everything right, I'm getting sub 1" and 100 yards. As stated above, consistent seating is very important.

Clean barrel. I use 80 grains of pyrodex behind a 275 grain maxi-hunter. I've chronoed that at between 1100 and 1200fps. Its very accurate out to 70 yards. At 100yds I'd still shoot a deer sized animal under the right conditions but groups are starting to open up at that distance. My pole is a Traditions .50 cal Hawken. I don't hunt with it much but it's aptly knocked over a couple of whitetails.

Mine is crazy accurate with 75 grains by volume BH 209 with a 460 grain no excuse 50 cal bullet. Knight disc extreme and it will shoot legit MOA groups at 100 with a scope.

Clean barrel on my Black Diamond 100 gr Pyrodex P with 250 gr Hornady SST holds good groups out to a 100 yards, I haven't shot it beyond that. My Cabelas Hawken likes 90 gr Pyrodex P with a 350 gr Hornady Maxi Hunter open sights I am good out to a 100 yards. I run a slightly damp patch down the barrel every 2-3 shots and use the TC liquid solvent on the patch. I then run a dry patch down the barrel and snap another cap before reloading.

To clarify, Sabots are not illegal to hunt with in Montana unless you are in a weapons restricted area.

I've been using 300 grain powerbelts with 100 grain 777 pellets. Been spit patching between shots and cleaning after 10 or so.

Reading the responses, I'm getting the idea I should switch to powder to be more consistent. I just liked being able to unload the pellets by unscrewing the breech plug without making a mess.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back