50 bmg for hunting

Jc2020

So I’m sure this will cause a stir I saw a show the other day a guy hunting mule deer with a 50 bmg and was talking about the controversy of using one for hunting he made a well place shot with minimal damage to the animal and a quick effective kill to me I personally feel it’s to big to use and I would not but that’s just me I feel like to each their own and its a choice for each hunter to make and with wrong shot placement could cause a large loss of meat and a wasted animal. I’m curious how others feel about the use of one for hunting?

When I hunt big game “out West,” it is usually in Idaho which prohibits the use of a rifle/scope/sling/attachment combination that weighs more than 16 pounds. Fully set up, my 338 LM isn’t legal under that law. I have never shot a 50 BMG, but I suspect I would not want to put too many rounds through one that fit Idaho’s weight limit.

I have no problem if someone wants to use a 50BMG if it's legal. I'm sure with certain bullets, one would might be surprised with the lack of damage. That said, I do not plan on spending my money/time pursuing the use of one.

Seems fine to me. I wouldn't want to tote one of those things around in the woods tho.

It’s overkill but in all honesty, what difference does it make? A .300 RUM is overkill too but nobody bitches about that....

Seems fine to me. I wouldn't want to tote one of those things around in the woods tho.
[/QUOTE
Yeah I agree it would definitely be a pain getting it out to your spot to set up and expensive to shoot but would be fun

My Barrett 82A1 is great fun to shoot but unless you’re driving up to a perch getting out set it up and shoot I doubt you’d get much hunting done. With the proper optic the light .50 has reach that’s unreal if the shooter is disciplined.

Not my cup of tea...way to heavy and not what I would use. If that’s what floats you boat, you are willing to carry it around the hills, and it’s legal where you are hunting, then have fun.

I have used my barrett 99 on coyotes while over looking a dead moo cow, was only about 350 yds away and the ball ammo was running about 1780 fps, fur damage was actually less than my 204 ruger, the round just pushed on thru, half inch in maybe an inch out easy sewing. Smack one in the shoulder with 32 grain VMax theres some serious trauma. But I don't plan on making a habit of it, about only over bait with a short walk. Theres such a thing as not enough gun, but hard to argue with to much gun.The states limit that end.

*grabs some popcorn and sits back waiting for the ethics police to show up*
Wouldn't it be more "ethical" to the animal? I'm mean killing speed would be up there lol. I deer hunt with a 338. Imo there isn't really a common rifle that's too big for big game. Shooting the right bullet out of my 338 is great for deer. That being said a 50 is a heavy rifle to tote up and down a mountain lol

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back