$45G for a sheep

Here are the number of B&C entries by state from 2007 to present:

Montana shows 138 recorded in this time frame. I know this number is higher than that by quite a bit in that there are a lot that are never turned in to B&C. All it takes to get into "The Book" is a check and a verified score. Some of us choose not to do that. I know of 5 rams well over book that were not turned in to B&C during that time frame. One is on my wall and I could take you to see the other four. None of us turned ours in to B&C.

People that want to hunt sheep and have the financial means know all about the quantity and quality potential of sheep in Montana - especially the breaks area.

Depending on how a person chooses to fill his tag by using on outfitter or do it on your own it is still a once in a life time opportunity. I spent 18 days before pulling the trigger and looked over 100 plus rams - not many places you an do that.

And that is why the Montana tag went for 480K.

We are probably pretty close on our opinions on this subject. If the gov tags went away I wouldn't bat an eye....actually I would support removing all these pimp tags. Hate the game, not the player. I was just wondering if in fact there were any outfitters from the area I am most familar with at the show and if they were handing out 8x10's.

Maybe now, since you asked me specifically, you now know where I stand. No need to assume in the future, just ask me.
I hate the players and the game. You just hate the game. I understand.

So you gonna ask MTMuley since he brought up picture parades as well?

And Oak,
I am not clueless about his subject but thanks for trying to go personal and use durogotory names. Deep down you know exactly what I am talking about. I don't attend them anymore, but have attended a few in the past. I understand these shows are a big deal to you and and respect you and your work and see how important they are to it but I completely disagree with auction tags in general. I actually have met 2 auction tag winners from other states and it made me want to vomit hearing how they described their hunts. Not to mention other stories they told of using outfitters guns on goat/sheep hunts in Canada to shoot animlas at 800+ yards and riding a helicopter up and down the mountain every day becasue they couldn't hike and wanted to stay in a lodge. More babysitting than hunting IMO.

World Record falls one year,the tags auction price jumps $180,000.00 the next.:rolleyes:

If the sheep tag brought half a million, the flag should have brought,PRICELESS.

All the species are Like that.(not recordeed.) There are many Monster bulls killed every Year in AZ. that don't get booked.I whould think the same on Muleys in Colorado..........BOB

I also dont care for the governors tags either, many of the people that buy and hunt on those tags are tools, no question. Many of them couldnt hunt their way out of a wet paper sack. But I'm also smart enough to know that those tags raise a lot of money that helps all wildlife alot.

Sheep, in particular, are not a cheap species to manage. Lots of disease issues, transplants are expensive, etc. etc. etc. These tags fund a lot of those type of things.

My best, and in some cases, ONLY, way I'll ever have a chance to hunt sheep is to draw tags like everyone else. I could also possibly win a hunt in a raffle, and I will probably stretch my budget to afford another sheep hunt or two in my life.

But, the primary way, will have to be through state drawings. The one thing that will increase my odds, is when sheep populations increase. More sheep on the mountain, more available tags, the better my draw odds get.

As far as sheep hunts and the "groupie" deal...its your tag, tell people to back the hell off if you dont want them on your hunt.

I've done several sheep hunts with just a couple people present for the entire hunt, and it was great. If you dont want a posse, just dont invite anyone.

IMO/E, when you get many people involved it turns into a big clusterf$&* that nobody enjoys. I'd never personally hunt sheep with more than 1-2 other people.

If it came down to it, I'd rather hunt solo and take a lesser ram than have a dozen people in camp helping me kill the biggest ram in the unit.

Your hunt should be done, how you want it done...moreso than with any other hunt as most wont get many chances at hunting sheep.

I also dont care for the governors tags either, many of the people that buy and hunt on those tags are tools, no question. Many of them couldnt hunt their way out of a wet paper sack. But I'm also smart enough to know that those tags raise a lot of money that helps all wildlife alot.

Sheep, in particular, are not a cheap species to manage. Lots of disease issues, transplants are expensive, etc. etc. etc. These tags fund a lot of those type of things.

My best, and in some cases, ONLY, way I'll ever have a chance to hunt sheep is to draw tags like everyone else. I could also possibly win a hunt in a raffle, and I will probably stretch my budget to afford another sheep hunt or two in my life.

But, the primary way, will have to be through state drawings. The one thing that will increase my odds, is when sheep populations increase. More sheep on the mountain, more available tags, the better my draw odds get.

As far as sheep hunts and the "groupie" deal...its your tag, tell people to back the hell off if you dont want them on your hunt.

This.

More sheep = more opportunity.

Support RMBS & WSF.

More auction tags = More $$$$ = More sheep = More opportunity

Slippery slope.

I agree.

That's why I have drawn my line at 1 governor's tag. 90% of the funds are returned to the state, the 10% allocated for the org usually pays just for the admin.

Accountability is key.

I'm not sure why it is ok for someone to give $100,000 for basically nothing but not ok to get a sheep tag for $100,000.

I'd get more pissed off about some of "laws" that are coming down the pipe against average hunter. More attention should be paid on that. Big money flows when sheep tags are on the line...as long as a lion's share of the money goes to put sheep on the mountain - I think it is a good idea.

Not sure if its been posted yet, but the MT Bighorn tag brought $480,000 this weekend........ Pretty fun to watch that auction, pretty insane considering that I think the last record was 305,000.

I guess thats what happens when there is word of a possible WR out there

Mt. Miller ,You didn't answer My question. For no reason You make Durogatotory Accuzations Then ignore it. I am on here to get along with fellow hunters and Chat and You make a Chit comment against Me without knowing Me. Cause You have 7000 posts does that make able to acuse anyone of anything or say anything. Watch Your big Mouth from now on Hilllbilly......BOB!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back