44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

Have both carried a 4” 29 in 44 mag for years. But the last 20 years here in Alaska I have been carrying a Glock 20 in 10mm. I suggest good Underwood ammo like the 200/220 Hardcast if bear is target like mine.
Of course I modify my Glock to better handle the hot loads with a NDZ 22 pound spring and Rod kit and a great KKM barrel. Shot Glock for 20 years never had a jam ! Carried Glock 22 as duty weapon also no malfunctions! Really like the high capacity 15 rounds compared to 6 in my smith. I got to do bear training with our weapons on bear charges the G20 was the better choice with the right ammo. If you need advice on how to set up your Glock 20 for Bear protection send me a PM……..happy too!
No Bear Spray here !

Attachments

• B0B680B9-5599-45B1-A425-52663D71512E.jpeg
    B0B680B9-5599-45B1-A425-52663D71512E.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
My favorite sidearm is a rifle.

I don't fantasize about stopping a bear. I have an airlight 44 and have considered a 10, but usually a packing a rifle so don't bother. I'm to the point in my life that if shit happens it happens. I don't have any preconceived notion that I could stop a bear with a gun or spray.
+1.

No handgun cartridge, regardless of size or load, is going to consistently stop really any large mammal outside of a CNS hit. Handguns punch holes at the end of the day. A 22-250 with a 55 gr bullet has ~120 ft/lbs more energy at the muzzle than Underwood's .44 mag +P 340 gr hardcast at the muzzle.

Carry what you'll practice with and actually take with you in the woods, hope you don't need it, and pray for some luck and a CNS shot if you use it.

Given I've accidentally pepper sprayed myself twice in the same week, I'm probably screwed if a bear really wants to tear into me.
Best part of having a pistol is that it doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing... I've seasoned myself for the feast before...:ROFLMAO:

Have both carried a 4” 29 in 44 mag for years. But the last 20 years here in Alaska I have been carrying a Glock 20 in 10mm. I suggest good Underwood ammo like the 200/220 Hardcast if bear is target like mine.
Of course I modify my Glock to better handle the hot loads with a NDZ 22 pound spring and Rod kit and a great KKM barrel. Shot Glock for 20 years never had a jam ! Carried Glock 22 as duty weapon also no malfunctions! Really like the high capacity 15 rounds compared to 6 in my smith. I got to do bear training with our weapons on bear charges the G20 was the better choice with the right ammo. If you need advice on how to set up your Glock 20 for Bear protection send me a PM……..happy too!
No Bear Spray here !
If I could get over how horrible the glocks feel in my hand, I might buy one. But I just can't stand the feel. Been eyeing up the M&P 10mm. If I can get my hands on one in a store I'd probably buy it.

If I could get over how horrible the glocks feel in my hand, I might buy one. But I just can't stand the feel. Been eyeing up the M&P 10mm. If I can get my hands on one in a store I'd probably buy it.
Some sites have a good sale on the M&P10 right now… along with the SHOT show $100 rebate!

Springfield XD and the new Sig 320 Xten feel way better in my opinion than the MPs. IF you dont like Glock. However if you decide the MP I would make sure to find the no safety model. To me the safety is right where my hands are in shooting and close enough that a pair of gloves or a quick reaction to grab it would switch the safety on.

Springfield XD and the new Sig 320 Xten feel way better in my opinion than the MPs. IF you dont like Glock. However if you decide the MP I would make sure to find the no safety model. To me the safety is right where my hands are in shooting and close enough that a pair of gloves or a quick reaction to grab it would switch the safety on.
Yeah, I have a M&P shield for my carry, I definitely don't want a safety. It would mess me up in the heat of the moment and I'd be bear shit the next day!

Too many issues with new SW 10mm suggest stay away go Glock and then modify for heavy 10mm loads if needed

Too many issues with new SW 10mm suggest stay away go Glock and then modify for heavy 10mm loads if needed
Issues such as? Everything I've read has been positive. I know there were some issues with the older 10mm, but the M&p 2.0 has been great I heard.

It cracks me up how pessimistic some guys are about handguns. If you just go searching you will find an awful lot of stories of pistols stopping bears (and the failures tend to be situations where no shots were actually fired). Pistols chambered in the anemic 9mm or .41 mag or .357 even.

Further, a lot of the accounts I've read, especially from Alaskans, guys are switching to the 10mm because it IS enough by virtue of accuracy by volume under duress. Just figured I'd throw my total lack of first hand experience into the mix. It IS the offseason after all!

It cracks me up how pessimistic some guys are about handguns. If you just go searching you will find an awful lot of stories of pistols stopping bears (and the failures tend to be situations where no shots were actually fired). Pistols chambered in the anemic 9mm or .41 mag or .357 even.

Further, a lot of the accounts I've read, especially from Alaskans, guys are switching to the 10mm because it IS enough by virtue of accuracy by volume under duress. Just figured I'd throw my total lack of first hand experience into the mix. It IS the offseason after all!
Agreed to the point of handguns killing bears and/or stopping attacks- My point above was simply to point out that handguns don't kill in the same manner as rifles (generally circulatory collapse vs hydrostatic shock), so no "magnum" makes that much of a difference, and the OP is better off choosing something he'll actually carry, practice with, and shoot well enough to get lucky. Whether that's a 9mm or a .500 Magnum, I could care less, just so long as they have a realistic understanding of the task at hand.

Here's an interesting article where they looked for verified news and book accounts of bear attacks (black, grizzly, and polar) where a known cartridge was used.

For those that don't want to follow the link, there were 104 instances examined, 101 of which were "Successful". "Success" is inconsistent in the context that it doesn't mean the bear was killed, or the individual not mauled, sometimes severely, but rather that the attack ended. In the same sense, "failure" is vague, too, as it is used to reference everything from the shooter being killed, to the bear not being found dead, so there is certainly some gray area. I would also say the stats are going to be naturally skewed to "success" as dead guys and maimed individuals don't end up telling their war stories in the same light as those that are successful. "I got my ass kicked and bicep shredded, but boy do I love this new Kimber..!" doesn't have the same ring for all of us with an ego.

.22 Rimfire- 7 instances, 6 successful
.380 auto- 1 instance, 1 successful
9mm- 7 instances, 7 successful
9.3x18 Makarov- 1 instance, unknown result
.38 revolver- 3 instances, 1 successful, 1 unknown, 1 unsuccessful
.357 Magnum- 8 instances, 7 successful
.40 S&W- 4 instances, 4 successful
10mm Auto- 3 instances, 3 successful
.41 Magnum- 4 instances, 4 successful
.44-40- 2 instances, 2 successful
.44 Magnum- 30 instances, 30 successful
.45 Pistol- 9 instances, 9 successful (most are .45 Auto, 1 of the instances was a .45 LC)
.45 Super- 1 instance, 1 successful
.454 Casull- 4 instances, 4 successful
.460 S&W- 1 instance, 1 successful
.500 S&W- 1 instance, 1 successful
16 cases where the cartridge wasn't known, 15 successful

I have all up and down the cal list in handguns in Alaska.
454 Cascull -FA 6” and 7 1/2” high recoil FA Premier great single action very high recoil to much pistol ….. worked better with hot 45 Colt handloads……sold !
44 MAG - SW 29 and 629 in 2 1/2” and 4” and 6” - Quickly sold the short one too much muzzle blast and flash and loss of velocity. Carried my 6” in 29 many years great pistol much less muzzle flash than 2 1/2” Alaskan. 4” much better as a packing pistol I consider this length ideal for trail revolver. I don’t use 300 grains in SW but prefer the 255gr / 260gr Hardcast at a moderate vel in SW. The Ruger Stainless Super Blackhawk Stainless 4 5/8” Modified by Magnaport Predator was a excellent packing pistol that easily handled the heavier cast or jacketed bullets loads of H110.
357 MAG- had my Colt Python 6” for 30 years in the lower 48. It was carried a lot but shot little. I always used 180 Sierra FPJ handloads. It was still tight when I sold it after arriving in Alaska. Loved that pistol regret selling it now.
Glock 20 in 10mm - Started my 10mm journey with a SW 1006 then a Kimber, as soon as Glock introduced the G20 I was on it but the upgrades were slow in coming but today in Alaska I still have my 4” 629 but most of the time when you see me at the fishing hole or Moose hunt or Bear Baiting you will see my G20 on my chest. The G20 is probably the most common pistol you will see in Alaska……..they sell like hot cakes ! It’s for protection only so 200gr / 220gr Hardcast handloads or Underwood factory Hardcast loads exclusively in Alaska. After a few modifications to my G20 it’s very much up to the task.

Attachments

• 37257391-F273-4724-BD5A-5615E7B81E6D.jpeg
    37257391-F273-4724-BD5A-5615E7B81E6D.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I used to subscribe to the bigger bore revolvers and living in NW WY and hunting in grizzly country year after year that is what I carried but after seeing penetration tests and hearing results of the 10mm or 45 acp+p or super I am leaning the other way. I swapped springs in my 1911 and am now carrying 45 super loads with a 10 round mag. I bought my son a springfield xdm 10mm. Getting more shots in a hurry and being back on target from recoil is way faster than trying to get a 44 mag or similar back on target.

We trained in Bear attacks charges and by far the best pistol was the Glock 20 with 200/220 Hardcast. For a normal close range charge 3 accurate shots with a G20 and plenty more if your under the bear. My beloved 629 SW 4” was 2 accurate shots with 255gr Hardcast. I love both pistols for Alaska but for the last 20 years it’s been a G20 I grab for the trail. Those 15 rounds are encouraging in the G20.
I have modified my handload for my 44 mag with a 240gr Norma FNSP and HP-38 @ 9.5 still above 1100FPS but less recoil in the 4” very good load for Bear protection. Less muzzle flip and slightly better accuracy with this load.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back