Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

Carry whatever you think you can shoot well enough to hit the brain. The reality is most people can’t shoot a handgun well even when they’re not under stress and are way better off with bear spray and most experts who give their opinion have never actually seen a grizzly up close.

I usually carry a Glock 20 in the mountains.

Been looking at the glock 10 mm with hot bear loads for a back up in case a grizzly decides to invade my space. My gun shop owner says 44 mag over the 10 mm. He's a WY resident and says the 10 mm hype is just that. Im about having close to 3x the firepower vs a wheel gun....what say ye?
Need more than 6

Been looking at the glock 10 mm with hot bear loads for a back up in case a grizzly decides to invade my space. My gun shop owner says 44 mag over the 10 mm. He's a WY resident and says the 10 mm hype is just that. Im about having close to 3x the firepower vs a wheel gun....what say ye?
The 10MM is not hype. It is one of the most renowned cartridges around the world. So is .44, just been around longer. You also have a lot of old timers and past generations who only had limited options (which were good options) but may be biased and telling the new generations about it.

I think being bear aware, cautious and picking your travel is key. Also practicing with gun and drawing from holster. Is more important.

There is no such thing as stopping power or knock down power. Both rounds will kill a bear, doesnt mean that bear is magically gonna stop anytime soon. In my mind the most important thing is to puncture the skull and cut the nervous system off. That can be done with both rounds, question is do you do it with one shot of a revolver or a few rounds in the same time with a pistol.

10mm is very easy, fast, and controllable to shoot. and gets rounds off quick and you'll have 15 rounds plus, and less expensive ammo. Also lighter gun in general.

A revolver usually will have more recoil, more time for follow up shots, and also be close to double the price if you choose to shop good brands. Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc. Plus weigh a ton more.

If you go full size 10mm make sure it is a Glock 20 or so. Make sure you handle it too. It is a thick boy and you definitely notice the grip size. Springfield just reintroduced there full size 10mm again and is selling like hot cakes. But they discontinued it previously, years ago because it was failing and coming apart. We will see how much they improved soon. Sigs new 10mm feels awesome, is about 17 rounds I believe and is cut for MOS too. However this similar model is under lawsuit for other things and SIG seems to like to test stuff out on customers first. I would wait for the next generation or so for people to find bugs with them. This is just my experience with talking and selling guns for jobs over the years and handling and dealing with them all.

HD Semi Auto Shotgun with slugs and bear spray would be my choice in bear country but usually carrying bow, rifle, and or shotgun isn't very practical.

Either way you go, buy a known brand. Lot of brands jumping on the 10mm fame and lots of cheap revolver manufacturers.

In the early 90s I bought a Glock 10mm for my summer/fall sidearm, got charged by a SOW and "upgraded" 🤣 to a Smith 44 which was so heavy, I rarely ever took it. Honestly, to kill a grizzly is one thing, but I bet to actually "stop" it would take a CNS hit - and in that case, it might as well just be a snub revolver or 9mm. Around 20 years ago I bought a Airlite 5 shot Smith .357. That's my tent and griz defense gun. Last time I had a griz close call, I had a .223. Boar was a carbon copy of that one in shrapnel's pick. Had it came at me (from 30 yards away), I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made it half way. Definitely felt undergunned, but had the crosshairs right between his eyes and rested on a lodgepole.
C52B361D-D3BB-4762-BD8A-3DCA6AAD3500.jpeg

The 10MM is not hype. It is one of the most renowned cartridges around the world. So is .44, just been around longer. You also have a lot of old timers and past generations who only had limited options (which were good options) but may be biased and telling the new generations about it.

I think being bear aware, cautious and picking your travel is key. Also practicing with gun and drawing from holster. Is more important.

There is no such thing as stopping power or knock down power. Both rounds will kill a bear, doesnt mean that bear is magically gonna stop anytime soon. In my mind the most important thing is to puncture the skull and cut the nervous system off. That can be done with both rounds, question is do you do it with one shot of a revolver or a few rounds in the same time with a pistol.

10mm is very easy, fast, and controllable to shoot. and gets rounds off quick and you'll have 15 rounds plus, and less expensive ammo. Also lighter gun in general.

A revolver usually will have more recoil, more time for follow up shots, and also be close to double the price if you choose to shop good brands. Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc. Plus weigh a ton more.

If you go full size 10mm make sure it is a Glock 20 or so. Make sure you handle it too. It is a thick boy and you definitely notice the grip size. Springfield just reintroduced there full size 10mm again and is selling like hot cakes. But they discontinued it previously, years ago because it was failing and coming apart. We will see how much they improved soon. Sigs new 10mm feels awesome, is about 17 rounds I believe and is cut for MOS too. However this similar model is under lawsuit for other things and SIG seems to like to test stuff out on customers first. I would wait for the next generation or so for people to find bugs with them. This is just my experience with talking and selling guns for jobs over the years and handling and dealing with them all.

HD Semi Auto Shotgun with slugs and bear spray would be my choice in bear country but usually carrying bow, rifle, and or shotgun isn't very practical.

Either way you go, buy a known brand. Lot of brands jumping on the 10mm fame and lots of cheap revolver manufacturers.
Dad and i had a Gun Shop in The booming metropolis of Gahanna Ohio for 25 yrs. Glock had JUST come out and it was funny how the purist dismissed it as a "plastic" gun.... and wtf is a polygonal barrel??..lol..lol I'm leaning towards a cera coated Glock 20-10mm. Btw I have a 2 glock - 9mm 's but just not confident in the 9's ability. I carried a 9mm Browning Hi-power because of the 14 rd capacity and definitely believe more is betta in this case also. I know they have some HOT rounds and the 15+1 is VERY APEALING. I'd imagine the stopping em in their tracks is a fantasy really. The shot placement would have to be perfect to drop one in its tracks. But 2-3 in the boiler room and if able in the ole bucket will possibly save your life. I also carry a mod 57 Smith 41 mag when I'm in the local woods but its HEAVY. Ive been told it too can handle a Grizzly BUT I'm back on the firepower train and will likely go that direction.

Wheel gun will not jam..
Heavier loads with 44.
We always carry our 44s over 10mm.
Just practice
Wheel guns will most definitely jam, especially the high octane loads that can result in a bullet jumping out of the case. Handguns do not kill by imparting energy in the same sense as a rifle. Handguns work by poking holes in the wobbly bits. The more holes you can poke (while balancing the need to penetrate deep enough to hit compromise the respiratory, circulatory or nervous systems), the better.

For a few years I had a S&W 329 backpacker in 44mag, short barrel but the grip was full size which was nice for shooting but I carried it on my hip and the grip was always getting hung up on my pack or jacket or something just a bit big to be on the hip for me, I didn't want to switch to a chest rig so it was sold and went with a Glock 29sf which seems to be better for packing around, I have carried it concealed as well which I would have not done with the 44. Lots of good comments, bout like anything.....gotta get what fits your application. I think no matter which 1 you pick both could save you and you could be bear poop without even taking it out of the holster.....just don't carry it in your pack lol hunted with a guy that did that....never understood why he did lol

My favorite sidearm is a rifle.

I don't fantasize about stopping a bear. I have an airlight 44 and have considered a 10, but usually a packing a rifle so don't bother. I'm to the point in my life that if shit happens it happens. I don't have any preconceived notion that I could stop a bear with a gun or spray.

Seasonal depression has it's grips on me...

If I don’t have a rifle then I will grab either my SBH or SRH 44 mag. Neither is too heavy on a Kenai holster, neither kicks too hard with a hogue grip and 7.5” barrel, and if I can’t get it done in 6 shots, I truly am ok becoming bear chit. 6 is more than my rifle has anyway.

My favorite sidearm is a rifle.

I don't fantasize about stopping a bear. I have an airlight 44 and have considered a 10, but usually a packing a rifle so don't bother. I'm to the point in my life that if shit happens it happens. I don't have any preconceived notion that I could stop a bear with a gun or spray.

Seasonal depression has it's grips on me...
Yeah, my feelings as well.
I don't bother the bears, and they don't bother me....so far.

lf you don't mind, why the staggered loads...
Old habits. I do the same in lots of defensive guns, except hollow points and fmj’s, mix of stopping power and the ability to shoot thru windshields, doors, walls, heavy jackets etc.

My theory on this as it pertains to bear protection is completely analytical, lighter faster (1500 fps) solid copper delivers maximum penetration while the Buffalo bore is what “everyone” says to use. I saw a video where a dude shot thru bank glass with the 140 xtreme penetrators.

Fwiw hard cast bullets shoot like crap in many autos , the 200’s shoot ok in my xdm. My buddies Glock shotguns em, like can’t hit a milk jug at 10 yards. The 140 xp are like a laser in every gun I’ve tried em in. Lots of hunters out there buy a box of bear loads, load the mag and hope to spray and pray. Probably bad strategy based of the bear loads I’ve tested in glocks and Springfield’s.

Also my info is slightly dated, couple years old. I think Buffalo bore and others are making a flat nosed 190 gr mono now for bear protection that achieve like 1250-1300 fps in a 10. Don’t quote me on that, hard to keep track of all the stuff coming out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back