44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

Sold off both my SBH in .44mag. was shooting .44 special,most of the time anyway. 230# and close to 6',I don't like recoil......photo of a 180gr. silloette projectile out of my S&W Model28-2 6''.
thats 6+ inches of penetration at 35 yards into super hard KILN DRIED FIR !!!!!! there was another round behind the first that I dug out.......I did shoot from a rest,BUT it was way easier to stay on target...a .heavy loaded .44mag,sbh RUGER, not so much....... I would NOT feel under gunned with that gun and that load...... how fast would it stop ''gentle BEN''??? DSCF0005 (1).JPG

Being a 10mm freak and thinking they are they best auto cartridge available. I am not an auto fan for hunting back up. I don't hunt in Grizz land so my choice is a Ruger GP100 in .357. If I were in Grizz territory I would skip the .44 ( because I don't have one) and carry my .454 Casull.

There are some good heavy 10mm loads but I just prefer a wheel gun when I am possibly out in rain/snow and mud and beer.
.454 Cas. 1 shot,maaaa-be 2,would certainly do the job. Never had a close encounter with a grizzly. Know 2 people that got ''run over'' while gutting moose and 3 years ago,in northwest British Columbia, a toothless old GRIZZLY BOAR dragged a fellow I had hunted with, into a river and tried to drown him.......he survived, grizzly left after shots fired by it.
I once fell asleep on a warm fall morning while grouse hunting....woke to find a black bear sniffing around my face and shoulders........I was frozen !!! had a 20ga. double but just kept v e r y still......bear just wondered off..... dead bears at close range have been reported to do alot of damage !!

I carry a Taurus 627 in 41 while hiking. I doubt it will stop a determined bear but it makes me feel better.

I see a company makes a double 12 gauge pistol. I would think the follow up shot might be a little slow.

hmmmmm.... thinking that would do damage if ya hit em....might get ya killed if ya dont..

Your the 3rd person I know that collects pics of bear poop...:eek:)
I worked on the Gallatin National Forest from 1978 through 2007. I was in the Engineering office in Bozeman, but I regularly worked with the people on the Districts.

The biologist on the Gardiner Distsrict (which is just north of Yellowstone NP) was also in charge of that district's trail program that included many miles of trails in Absoroka-Beartooth Wilderness.

As the District wildlife biologist he was very interested in the grizzly bears in that area, so he supplied his trail crews with zip lock plastic bags and had them collect all of the bear poop that they came across doing their trail work.

His office was in the basement of the Gardner Ranger Station, and he had a cafeteria size table in it that was completly covered with sacks of bear poop that he would later study.

I'm to the point in my life that if shit happens it happens. I don't have any preconceived notion that I could stop a bear with a gun or spray.
x2

If that's bears pissed I'm not going to stop it.

I'm in the "you aren't "stopping" a bear with a pistol unless you put one in the brain or spine so might as well get something you can shoot quick, accurately, and at a higher volume" camp.

My bear country pistol is a G40 10mm. I think i'd prefer a G20 though.

My pistol shooting/drawing practice reps have dropped off so I mainly just carry spray now days anyway.

Last edited:
As for the .44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly question of this thread, I've lived and worked in grizzly country since 1975. Since 1978 I've lived a few miles outside of BozAngles, and a couple of years ago my next door neighbor had a picture of a grizzly on her trail camera that is on the hill 300 yards above our houses.

For about 20 years I was the head blaster for the Gallatin National Forest. One of my jobs in that position was to dynamite or blow up dead horses in the backcountry that could cause bear conflicts with forest visitors. In that time I blew up 12 dead horses and only one of them had a grizzly on it when I got there. He ran away when he saw us. The Forest Service would not allow us to carry firearms so I guess I was just lucky that he ran off and didn't defend his dead horse.

For many years while I was deer, elk, moose, and sheep hunting I carried a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH .44 mag pistol. The only grizzly encounter that I had was one year when two friends and I were camped at the end of a logging road near West Yellowstone, MT. We had the quarters of two elk and a bull moose hanging in the stockrack in the back of my pickup.

One night just before going to bed I went out to check my horses and there was a grizzly bear on top of the road cutbank next to our tent camper. He was no more than 30' from me and he woofed and clicked his teeth at me. I had my Ruger .44 mag with me, so with a flashlight in my left hand, I shot once over his head. At 10 o'clock at night that shot made a huge muzzle flash and a loudreport, but the bear didn't even flinch. I then fired a second round into the trunk of the lodgepole pine tree next to him. Again, no reaction from the bear.

So I holstered my .44, picked up a tennis ball size rock that I threw and hit the bear. He then ran off.

There was another hunting camp on a side road about 1/4 mile from ours, and they had also killed an elk and had it hanging by their camp. A few minutes after the bear left our camp we heard 4-6 quick (pistol?) shots from that camp, and a half hour later that camp pulled up stakes and went home.

The next morning I saddled one of my horses and tracked the bear from our camp to that other one, then there were a few spots of blood in the snow next to the grizzly tracks. I followed his tracks up to the end of the logging clearcut where that camp was, then he went back down to the forest above our camp. We broke camp and also went home that day.

That bear had a radio collar and an ear tag, and because he had been wounded, we reported the incident to FWP. It turned out than he had been a problem bear near Cooke City where he had been live trapped, then released in the area where we were camped.

The Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team radio tracked him to his den on an adjacent mountain, then they found his collar the next spring.

A couple of years ago, I went Brown Bear hunting in SW Alaska. Prior to that hunt I bought a 4" S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum. I carried that pistol on my BB hunt, and my guide also carried a .44 in a chest holster. When he is not guiding hunters, he guides ATV sightseeing trips near Anchorage where he also carries his .44 in his chest holster.

Last edited:
The only grizzly encounter that I had was one year when two friends and I were camped at the end of a logging road near West Yellowstone, MT. We had the quarters of two elk and a bull moose hanging in the stockrack in the back of my pickup.

One night just before going to bed I went out to check my horses and there was a grizzly bear on top of the road cutbank next to our tent camper. He was no more than 30' from me and he woofed and clicked his teeth at me. I had my Ruger .44 mag with me, so with a flashlight in my left hand, I shot once over his head. At 10 o'clock at night that shot made a huge muzzle flash and a loudreport, but the bear didn't even flinch. I then fired a second round into the trunk of the lodgepole pine tree next to him. Again, no reaction from the bear.

So I holstered my .44, picked up a tennis ball size rock that I threw and hit the bear. He then ran off.

There was another hunting camp on a side road about 1/4 mile from ours, and they had also killed an elk and had it hanging by their camp. A few minutes after the bear left our camp we heard 4-6 quick (pistol?) shots from that camp, and a half hour later that camp pulled up stakes and went home.

The next morning I saddled one of my horses and tracked the bear from our camp to that other one, then there were a few spots of blood in the snow next to the grizzly tracks. I followed his tracks up to the end of the logging clearcut where that camp was, then he went back down to the forest above our camp. We broke camp and also went home that day.

That bear had a radio collar and an ear tag, and because he had been wounded, we reported the incident to FWP. It turned out than he had been a problem bear near Cooke City where he had been live trapped, then released in the area where we were camped.

The Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team radio tracked him to his den on an adjacent mountain, then they found his collar the next spring.

In the mid-90s I was sleeping in the bed of my truck at Potomageton Park north of hebgan and a bear went on a warpath similar to that. I chose to bail the next day. That was within 3 miles of where I first was charged by a sow, and also where I ran into the big boar a couple years ago. They are thick in that country.

30 some years ago,my daughter and I were camped overnight by PAHASKA-TEEPEE ''EAST'':unsure: Yellowstone.....
Daughter decided to sleep in the vehicle as it had poured rain most of the day.....I set up a big dome tent and had a so-so sleep....next morning,stopped at iirc,the gas station/store for some beef jerkey...
guy inside said, did you hear that bear last night????
What bearo_Oo_O..... note to self, leave camping around WEST YELLOWSTONE to the tourists .
p.s. I did not have any rocks with me !!!

Last edited:
30 some years ago,my daughter and I were camped overnight by PAHASKA-TEEPEE West Yellowstone.....
Daughter decided to sleep in the vehicle as it had poured rain most of the day.....I set up a big dome tent and had a so-so sleep....next morning,stopped at iirc,the gas station/store for some beef jerkey...
guy inside said, did you hear that bear last night????
What bearo_Oo_O..... note to self, leave camping around WEST YELLOWSTONE to the tourists .
p.s. I did not have any rocks with me !!!
Could have happened at West Yellowstone ... but Pahaska Teepee is near the East Entrance to YNP, up the North Fork of the Shoshone just west of Cody, WY.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back