Caribou Gear Tarp

35 Whelen vs. 9.3x62

Rifle is back from JES Reboring safe and sound. Preliminary report is that the machine work looks great.

Going to upgrade bases and rings to Leupold DD with low rings. Will keep the 4x Burris on it for now until I can afford a 2-7 Gold Ring with an elevation turret.

Now I just need my dies, brass and bullets to get here.

Going to try some RE15 and Big Game with 250 and 270 grainers.

Good deal! Looking forward to a range report. Should make for a good thumper.

PS- Have you considered going with a quick release type base/ring set up? That way you could keep or put backup iron sites on it. IMO a 9.3 "needs" irons to look right. ;)

270 grains is a light load for that 9.3. God and the Mauser Corporation intended it to be used with a 286 grain bullet. Don't go against God!

Looking forward to seeing it all dolled up!

That RE 15 should do the trick nicely.

9.3 all the way

new here, but not new to mausers, have a few 8mm's and a couple 7mm's, that said the 9.3 equals the 35 whelen until you step up to 270 or 286 grainers then it really shines, with solids it will take on Cape Buffalo, so anything on this continent isn't safe. The 232 & 250 grain examples offer plenty of killing power for elk & moose with a milder recoil, that is; if you consider that mild, I have a 98 action that I have been considering building for some time, when I do, the 9.3x62 gets the nod, and yes I reload ; it's the only way to go, or all I would shoot is 22's

I'll take the 338-06 any day of any week ALL the time - more versatile, better bullets, more brass available and the notion that it is "too close to the old '06" is just plain silly - the Whelen is a darn good cartridge by any stretch but a 225 / 338 Accubond or Partition will do ANYTHING the Whelen or that Euro thing will and not slap you senseless in the process - Jess does STELLAR work BTW

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back