MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.325 WSM for elk

elkhnter

I've owned a Model 70 for about 4 years now a finally got around to mounting a scope last night. What's anybody's thoughts on this as an elk rifle? Never shot one or know anybody that owns one. Any advice would be helpful.

If I could of found one when I was looking I'd have it instead of the 300wsm I bought.

I load for a buddy who uses a 325 WSM for everything and he loves it. He's killed several bulls with his. I load him up 200 gr. Partitions and Accubonds. Both shoot great out of his rifle.

I have a .325 WSM that I used to kill my elk last year. He didn't go too far. I would not recommend using the 180 gr. ballistic silvertip ammo in this cartridge for elk. I used that a few years ago and dropped one and he took off running 10 minutes later with no blood trail. I started using Nosler Trophy Grade 200 gr Accubonds after that and it did the job.

Also, IMO the .325 WSM is an extremely accurate round. I shoot 1 inch groups at 250 yards in my Savage rifle, which is what I line my rifle in for elk hunting.

Only thing that I'd say is bad about the round is that is can be hard to find ammo at times, so buy several boxes once you find what you want to use.

I loved it. Still can’t believe I sold my model 70 in a moment of weakness believing I didn’t need two elk guns. 200gr. Accubonds or 180 gr. Barnes X is great elk medicine.

My model 70 likes the 200 gr partitions but I had to push it hard to get the groups to tighten up. Didnt like the 200 gr TSX though.

I've owned a Model 70 for about 4 years now a finally got around to mounting a scope last night. What's anybody's thoughts on this as an elk rifle? Never shot one or know anybody that owns one. Any advice would be helpful.

Tighten up your fillings. lol

It will handle an elk with ease.

Tough to find the ammo sometimes, but a 200 grain accubond created a hole on the opposite ribcage of an elk that a baseball would fit through a couple years ago.

Solid set up for elk. Those 8mm pills are fantastic on game. 131 years of putting game down!

I'd try the 180 Barnes as well as the 200 grain bullets.

I really don’t like you guys! My .325 is a Super Grade, I pulled the gorgeous piece of wood of it and replaced it with a nice laminated stock. I picked up some 200 Partitions. Then I quit. Heading to Wyoming in a month and decided to take the 300 Weatherby Weathermark that I picked up this year. Now I’m rethinking my choice. Thanks a lot! Any one have a pet load for the Partitions?

I really don’t like you guys! My .325 is a Super Grade, I pulled the gorgeous piece of wood of it and replaced it with a nice laminated stock. I picked up some 200 Partitions. Then I quit. Heading to Wyoming in a month and decided to take the 300 Weatherby Weathermark that I picked up this year. Now I’m rethinking my choice. Thanks a lot! Any one have a pet load for the Partitions?
The 325 is just about perfect for elk, I’d imagine. Right there with the .338 WIN. That being said, the one and only elk I shot with my 300 WBY went right down. 180 Partitions shoot well out of it.

I Owned a Browning in 325WSM. Took two Mule deer and one Elk with it. Even destroyed a coyote once with it (made a mess of the little fella). Both Mule deer had some significant exit wounds so not an ideal deer rifle (120yrds and 200 yards). I purchased the rifle for Elk and figured I would use it one day on a moose hunt and bear although I never got to use it for either. It has a niche but I found out real quick that it's not a rifle you practice with for any significant amount of time or rounds. Recoil and cost of shooting it are a bit on the High side in my opinion. Long story short. After 5 years of owning the rifle I sold it. Aside from the few issues stated I found it very difficult to find quality ammo and without reloading, VERY expensive to shoot.

The Good was that the rifle was no heavier than my :06 to carry and was accurate enough. Recoil for a WSM 8mm bullet was tolerable but not something you're gonna spend a day at the range with.

Seems like the 325WSM was really pushed hard as a short action shorter barreled 338 and made to appeal to those looking for a high powered brush gun without the weight and recoil of a 338??? Good dense NW forest Elk gun. Very cool collector and niche rifle. A mainstay, go to rifle???? Eh??

Just my .02

I shot an elk with my 325 wsm this year in Colorado. 160 yards at a downward angle. Went through the ribs and front shoulder on the opposite side. Found the bullet under the skin. 200 gr partition leaving the barrel at 2945 fps. Bull ran about 50 yards and collapsed.

I plan on shooting an elk with my 325 WSM this year. I think it is a great lightweight elk rifle and I don't think the recoil is too bad. I'm not going to shoot 20 rounds at the range with it in a T shirt, but I can easily have a 10+ round session without the old flinch coming back. I have a browning A bolt stainless synthetic and it is a lot more fun to pack around than some of my other guns. Took it for a walk this morning in fact

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back