Caribou Gear

Always wondered how one could be comfortable carrying like that.

Loaded, unloaded, firing pin removed, whatever, I don't want a firearm pointed there.
I actually really like appendix carry, but in a good holster is obviously a much different scenario.

I open carry all the time, but not in town.

Last edited:
I actually really like appendix carry, but in a good holster is obviously a much different scenario.

I open carry all the time, but not in town.
I have tried it a little and just never was comfortable with it. I just strap a holster to my belt.

I am the same. I open carry a lot, but rarely in town and never because I want to look cool or make a statement. Just happen to have it on when I jump out of the truck.

I have never seen anyone ever open carry is WA, either side of the mountains, and I doubt I'll ever open carry myself.

...but if I did, it'd damn sure be a revolver, old, with pearl grips, because if you're going to make a scene make it a good one.
Just to follow up on myself (entitled millennial here)

I wouldn't be carrying for protection, I've seen me at the range and I've had front row seats to many if not all of my poor descion making in high stress situtations, it would be purely as a fashion statement.

@2rocky I live in SW Idaho and I don't see it very much around here (open carry). I'm always a bit surprised when I see it and the next thing that pops into my head is "well there goes THEIR tactical advantage!". I used to work in a gun store here in town and me and another co-worker always had a running joke about, if we wanted to hold up the place we'd shoot the guys wearing fanny packs (in front) and photog vests first....they were dead giveaways for guys or gals packing a pistol. When open carry became a thing (seems like mid-2000's) we added the open carry guys to that list.

I've always looked at folks carrying open as dead ringers for someone that doesn't know much about the law, tactics, and shooting a gun. Maybe I'm wrong to judge but there it is (I exclude the guy wearing the revolver that's standing in the trapping supply store with blood on his boots and pant legs, and also the guy that looks like the real-deal rancher that's got the Border Collie and a bale of hay in the back of his one-ton Ford with the flat bed.....folks like those get a pass, and much respect, from me).

And for what its worth...........I've been carrying concealed since the mid-2000's.... One of my favorite phrases is "circumstances dictate tactics" so I've worn a pistol (actually a variety of pistols depending on the circumstance) in a variety of ways with a variety of holsters. I use appendix carry a lot these days as I find it is the best way for me to conceal a pistol. One of my sheriff deputy friends (probably the most competent guy I know with a firearm) carries a Glock 17 with a light attached to it via appendix carry....and you'd never know its there. The guy weighs all of about 175 and is very fit. That G17 disappears when he holsters it and puts his t-shirt over it.

Do some of yall think that the 'bad guys' are scoping out the Walmart and picking out open carriers to take out on their ingress? They enter the gas station and haven't started holding the place up yet, but they see a guy with a pistol on his hip and start blasting? I understand the perception of "if you're showing your cards, you're a target" but how well-crafted are the assaults you're invisioning?

If you are in some crazy wild west scenario, who's to say you won't get blasted for having to struggle getting your glock out of your waistband?

Since we're throwing around wild accusations that OC = ignorant and dangerous, people who say that OC means you'll be shot first sound to me like the morons who say they'll scare the home intruders off by just racking their pump shotgun.

That enough material to get things back on track?

I have never seen anyone ever open carry is WA, either side of the mountains
I have, and on the west side of the mountains. When my wife and I lived in Vancouver, a guy moved in down the street from us who open-carried regularly. The gun didn't bother, but the guy sure did. He was prone to doing drunken wheelies on his quad up and down the street in the middle of the night.

I have, and on the west side of the mountains. When my wife and I lived in Vancouver, a guy moved in down the street from us who open-carried regularly. The gun didn't bother, but the guy sure did. He was prone to doing drunken wheelies on his quad up and down the street in the middle of the night.

When did @Schaaf live in Vancouver?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back