Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

3 Teenagers and a bull- Season Finale

T Bone

A few months ago, my son asked if a couple friends could come along for their first elk hunt.

I said sure.

They are on the same Cross Country running team and they are great guys.

Knowing that these guys literally run up mountains, I picked a particularly nasty hidey hole that involves large vertical gain through brush choked, cliffy ridges.

We hiked two hours in the dark, and dawn revealed several blonde bulls in our basin.

The four of us moved into position with the stealth of a walrus.

Two bulls knew something was up, and the start heading for the timber.....so the group hit express walrus mode and crashed to a vantage point that would offer a clear shot.

My son got set up for the shot and waited while the other fiddled with knobs on the too complicated scope for a beginner.

The other kid?......panic set in when he realized he had no ammo in the magazine and couldn't remember where it was in his pack. He started disemboweling his pack in a frenzy. Clothes and food flew out, but no ammo.

One bull had made the timber and the last paused to graze.

It was go time.

The two guys with rifles ready started shooting........and shooting. At less than 300 yards, I spotted several misses high and.....right through the antlers!!!

I turned back to no-ammo kid.

He's walking in circles making squirrel noises. ???

I turn back to the shooters who are banging away at a bull that isn't sure which way to run for safety.

Finally after several magazines of rounds fired, one found the mark and the bull dropped and rolled!

Squirrel guy is in some kind of silent shock.

The others high five and cheer.

Squirrel comes out of the trance and joins in the celebration.

We got to the bull and I saw again through the new guys' wows and exclamations just how magnificent bull elk are.

Several bullets hit antlers.....one through the chest.

No bullet recovery to discern who killed it, so I let them figure out who got to tag it. The two shooters decided with rock-paper-scissors, best 2 out of 3.

No disappointment with the losing hunter, total support and many fist bumps and high fives. The loser was awarded joint custody on weekends and holidays of the antlers!

I was really impressed by the tagging decision making!

On the way out, we bumped into some Dusky Grouse, which they hadn't seen before and Squirrel was able to harvest one with a great head shot at 10 yards.

They did awesome in helping breaking the bull down and we got it all out in one heavy load.

My 2020 big game season is over.

This hunt, by far, exceeded expectations.

Attachments

• 20201120_084950.jpg
    20201120_084950.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 350
Having introduced some of my kids friends to various sports (hunting included) I can visualize this all too clearly...well told Tyson and congrats to all!

Hilarious and awesome story! Brought back some memories. Congrats!

Great story! Sounds like a lot of fun and an awesome experience was had by all! Congrats all involved.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back