Caribou Gear Tarp

3 rifle battery

.25-06 for Pronghorn, deer, goat and sheep. Easy to shoot. Not much recoil.
.308 for all the above and elk under 200 yards. Recoil reminds me of a 12 gauge pump.
.338 Win Mag for all the above and elk over 200 yards. I leave for a mountain goat hunt in 2 weeks and may be windy so am taking the .338 to reach out a bit in the wind. Kicks like a mule so a pain to sight in at the range. Once are hunting, never feel the recoil.

3 Guns to cover them all, 3 Guns to rule the world! Hmmmm

AR platform 18-20 inch barrel in 223 for varmints and such.
Browning X bolt in 300 WSM topped with a 4-12x40 Vortex viper
Kimber Montana 338 Federal, Same scope as above, bit larger caliber for those critter moose size and up

Think those would cover it, or swap the AR for a over and under 20 gauge/223

I already have most any gun I feel I'll ever need (or get to use for that matter) but these are the ones that will never be out of my possession,,,, my Remington 722 .257 Roberts, varmints to deer and it was my grandfathers,,,,,,Savage '06, not sexy but takes care of the rest of the critters save for the big bears,,,,, Remington 870 12ga., turkeys to the " wolf at the door". By the way, handguns don't count,,, right??

I would have to go with a ar-15 223 or mini-14 223 for varmits and PD Winchester 94 30-30 for short range work/brush gun. Tikka 300 wsm or montana 1999 300 win with vortex 4-16 for everything else

Last edited:
22-250
300 wby
Woodchucks to moose these can get it done! Well everyone's list can get it done.... But these are mine!

Pretty much use a 2 rifle battery now.

1. Browning safari grade FN mauser 30/06
2. AHR custom CZ 550 9.3x62
3. I'd like to add a 223 heavy barreled bolt action, something like a sako or browning a bolt

223. Something in a bolt action. 6.5x55. Does everything. 338 win mag, it was given to me by my father.

Maybe 243, just bought a savage for the kid,forgot how pleasant it is to shoot . More versatile than 223, but still low recoil. 7x57, been around for more than 125 years can be more than 7mm-08, model 70 in featherweight, top it with a leupold. Last gun maybe something classic like a 375 h&h in a pre 64, with a peep sight, just to keep stuff simple.

AR-15 in 223 for varmints of all kinds
Remington 700 in 25-06. McMillan stock and Leupold VX2 6x18 CDS for lighter stuff
Ruger M77 in 300 WinMag, Swarovski Z3 3-10.-my current 'do everything' rifle.

1 Pointer, can't argue with that. It was super cool, but EXPENSIVE to feed!
AntelopeTroy2.jpg
Almost a near perfect rifle for that kind of country and game. Heck, I remember the barrel even coming loose! ;) What action was it built on? For some reason I remember it being a Ruger, but think Rem was more likely.

These are what I have:

AR-15 in .223
Howa 1500 in .308
Rossi Wizard in 30-06

If we can only have 3, when I inherit my dad's .243, I will have to get rid of one of the 30 cals. Don't know which, though - they each have their merits.

30-06 Remington 700
.300 Savage Model 99 from my Dad

I have many guns and some are magnums, but these two guns ride in the safe more than the truck and I'm not sure why. The two most accurate rifles I own. Period.

Yup it was a Ruger action. The gunsmith did a superb job of getting it all slicked up. It was hyper accurate (literally shot in the .1's and .2's) as long and the barrel stayed attached. ;)
Bat2_zpsd71e67cd.jpg

It really was the perfect rifle for when I lived in that open country. Where I live now it would collect dust for the most part so I guess it's good I sold it, but I do miss it. It really was a killer long range system. Plus I think it just looked really cool.
Bat3_zps98aa8710.jpg

When I was deliberating over my last few rifle purchases I couldn't decide on what calibers to choose. I'm pretty lame so my three primary rifles are currently:

.223 Savage 11 - Getting a new scope
.270 Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with a Leupold Vx-1 3-9x40
30-06 Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with Swaro 3-10x42

I love buying guns but hate owning "safe queens", so these three guns were purchased to be used and likely acquire some beauty marks. I can kill just about anything in NA with those three calibers and factory ammo is easy to find and variety is endless. I don't shoot enough to justify hand loading, plus I'm lazy.

Yup it was a Ruger action. The gunsmith did a superb job of getting it all slicked up. It was hyper accurate (literally shot in the .1's and .2's) as long and the barrel stayed attached. ;)
Bat2_zpsd71e67cd.jpg

It really was the perfect rifle for when I lived in that open country. Where I live now it would collect dust for the most part so I guess it's good I sold it, but I do miss it. It really was a killer long range system. Plus I think it just looked really cool.
Bat3_zps98aa8710.jpg
Good to know my memory still works! A very cool rifle.

Back