Caribou Gear

3 rifle battery

Dayyhhm, I hate it when this happens. Leave it to your smarta$$ kid to say "Yeah Dad, but what about when..."

So......It sucks when he's right, but I'm going to add one more, and this is the Last one.

Everybody gets to toss in a 'Close enough to see the bug that made it's ear twitch' range weapon. (4x scope included)

Mine, I actually bought for my son, but it's staying in My safe until he's man enough to come take it away from me, a Ruger 96 lever action 44Mag. It's simply hammered every Fla piggy that got in it's way and is going to go through it maiden trek for whitetails this fall in Ohio.

.243 win. In a Winchester Model 70.
.270 Win. In a S & W 1500.
.338-06 improved in a Rem. Model 700

Will take care of anything North America has to offer.

.223 Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit - Most accurate gun I own.
7mm Rem Mag Browning A-Bolt, Stainless Stalker - Bought as my all around big game rifle

If I had to pick up a 3rd it would probably be a .338 for larger game.

I think I could get by with 2 rifles pretty easily though. (I do actually). If I had to do it over again I would probably buy a .300 WSM in place of the 7mm Mag A-Bolt. I keep trying to talk myself into picking up a .300 WSM but haven't managed to do it yet.

I've got a 270 WSM that I'd feel comfortable using for any big game that walks in North America. I will likely never own another hunting rifle until I have kids, at which time I'll get a 7mm-08.

6.5 - 06
7RM
300 WSM
All built on Rem 700 action with Brux barrels and done by DCGS out east.
Instead of the additional .22 rimfire I would go with a .17 HMR.
3 of these 4 currently reside in my safe.

I bought my first three rifles with this philosophy very much in mind. Since then, I've added a handful more but the first three would still be a good "only three."

My first was a Browning A-bolt Medallion in 300 WSM. I looked at a 300 magnum as being a tough to beat "do-it-all" caliber and liked the short magnum package. This was topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.

Seeing as most of the game I hunted was likely going to be elk size and under, the next rifle I picked up was a Winchester model 70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester. This also sports a 3-9x40 Conquest.

Lastly, bigger, dangerous game was always something I dreamed about and so I figured why not plan ahead and get my "Alaskfrica" gun. I bought a Remington 700 XCR in .338 Win Mag to fit the bill. It currently sports a 3-9x50 Conquest.

If I had to pick three I may replace one or two of them (maybe to a .308 and a .300 WM) or swap out some scopes (I own a few Swarovskis now that I'm in love with), but I figured it's tough to go wrong with those three.

Mine would be this.

6mm Remington in a Ruger #1B with a fixed 6x Leupold for coyotes, deer, antelope.

280 Remington or 280 AI (which I am having built) on a Winchester Classic Sporter with a 24" standard contour barrel. Action glass and pillar bedded, trigger worked, and the action trued. Coyotes, deer, antelope, elk, moose, and anything else I would be so fortunate to hunt. Not sure yet what scope to put on this one. Either a 6x Leupold with the long range dots in it or a 2-10 or 3-15 Zeiss Conquest with the Z600 reticle. I would really like to see Leupold configure the B&C reticle for the fixed 6x.

30-06 in a Ruger #1B (which I have) or a Sako. Same as above for animals, coyotes on up. I have a 4x Leupold on it now but would really like to up it to a fixed 6x. Love that scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back