3 rifle battery

Gunner46

I've thought through this one over many campfire sessions. Just sayin', if you could only have (according to wifey), or afford only 3 rifles to hunt N. America (4, if you include a .22 rimfire) what would you choose?

Now, let's be real. About 0.0000001% of us are ever going to actually get a chance at a Griz, or Brown bear, so they are exlcuded. And if you can afford one of these hunts you probably already have a fully equipped arsenal anyway.

If you want to, toss in a model and scope, just keep the total $$, for all 3, below the cost of a new truck, ok !! And Tell Us Why.

Here are mine:
#1 AR-15, 5.56, compact 2X7. Mine is a Bushmaster C-15, good scope yet to come, so it's toting a 20mm 3X red dot for now.
#2 7mm/08. Ruger 77, synthetic stock, 3.5X10X40 Leupold CDS (again Thanks OYOA)
#3 338 Federal, re-worked Rem 600, 20" barrel, 2X7X33 (work in progress, as the money comes)

Why? They cover anything and everything I could possibly ever hunt, under all conditions for the rest of my days. Barn rats, coyote, Javelina, any deer, anywhere, Black bear, Elk, Lopes, Goats, Sheep, 'Bou's, Bullwinkles, Here Piggy Piggy, Commies, Home Intruders, and Zombies.

Take a close look at the ballistics. Just using Federal factory ammo. Each of the 3 can march lock step behind the other, in trajectory, waaaayyyyy out there, and where one doesn't have the Thump, the next picks up.

There's my 3.................Next

Last edited:
300 Win Mag, 12 gauge Mossberg 500, M&P .40

I can hunt pretty much anything in North America with the 300. I carried a Mossberg 500 in Iraq, so it has a sentimental value to me, plus I can hunt with it and protect my house. The M&P is for anyone who tries to get in my house.

For centerfire rifles I'd go:

1. Kimber Montana 223 Rem (possibly AI'd) - Bushnell LRHS scope in Talley Rings
2. Kimber Montana 260 Rem - Bushnell LRHS scope in Talley Rings
3. Ruger MKII SS/Lam 338 WIn Mag - Leupold 6X42

#3 is sentimental as it was my college graduation gift from my father. I'll never sell it. That said, it' is too heavy. For pure hunting I could replace it with a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM like the one I just sold... #2. It would take much for me to make that a WSM model and have it barreled in a 6.5 SAUM.

Centerfire varmint .223
Big Game Deer->Moose .300 win mag
Kids gun 7mm-08

Just what I have...

JC, I thought I was the only numb nut to get issued a 500 for the desert. Turns out.....I'm damn glad I had it.

Shoot straight has it's merits......BLAST a path has it's. Glad we're both home.

Well since you already threw the 22 rimfire in there I can easily get by with just two more:
30.06 ( I got the pictures to prove it will get it done.)

I've owned all kinds of magnum rifles and finally came to the conclusion, for all practical purposes the 30.06 gets the job done on any big game I'm likely to ever hunt (deer, elk, black bear) and the .223 takes care of all the predators and varmints.

Well since you already threw the 22 rimfire in there I can easily get by with just two more:

I've owned all kinds of magnum rifles and finally came to the conclusion, for all practical purposes the 30.06 gets the job done on any big game I'm likely to ever hunt (deer, elk, black bear) and the .223 takes care of all the predators and varmints.
Yeah, but that 257 Weatherby you had was super cool!

OK. Time for the What I have vs What I'd like

What I Have

Varmints/Coyotes: Noveske Ares in 5.56 16.5" AR

General use hunting rifle: Sako 85 Varmint in .308 with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 Reticule

Designated Elk Rifle: New Production Winchester M70 Sporter in .325WSM with Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 RZ800

What I'd like...

"Light" hunting rifle: Sako 85 Finlight in .308 Win(or similar) with Nightforce NXSC 2.5-10x42 MOAR

Precision Hunting Rifle: GAPrecision rifle built on Defiance Rebel XM length action in .300WSM; 22" Bartlein 5R barrel #6 Contour Fluted; McMillan A-5 Edge stock With Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 NP-RF1 scope

With what I currently have. The .325 stays home unless it's primarially an Elk(or larger critter) hunt. I shoot the .308win better, and have a bit more confidence in it. I do love how that .325 performs on game thought and my elk hunts tend to be the longest walks (the .325 is about 3.5lbs lighter than the .308)... .308win will, assuming proper shot placement, cleanly take any animal on this continent.

As far as what I'd like to have... First priority is I would really like to put together a full custom Precision rifle. I really enjoy long range shooting, and enjoy the confidence it builds in my shooting. second priority, a lighter weight hunting rifle for when I don't feel like lugging 15-16lbs of rifle up the mountain.

25-06 Ackley Improved in Ruger #1B..or Dakota 10
Sako Finnlite 300 WSM
Sako Finnlite 300 Win Mag for backup

Self defense battery separate and more than 3

1 Pointer, can't argue with that. It was super cool, but EXPENSIVE to feed!
AntelopeTroy2.jpg

Cheesy Petes. I hope I never live in a world where this three gun battery is in the law of the land, but if the heavens fall and we end up in such a woeful place, I'd want

Smallbore: 300 Mag, either WM or WSM

Medium Bore: 35 Whelen

Large Bore: 416 Remington

Put 'em all in a left handed MRC action and slap a nice piece of AAA Claro on it and I'm good. I guess.

I second this one.

Maybe throw a .375 H&H in for the third. In case I ever do get to hunt that brown bear :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back