• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
I’m at 8 moves in 16 years of marriage. Go to Wally World and get 50-60 Rubbermaid storage crates. They stack perfectly and you can’t make them to heavy(just don’t let your wife keep her college books). Hire a moving crew to get everything into the rental truck. On the flip side hire a moving crew to move the big stuff up or down the stairs. Moving sucks, good luck!

On the bright side, if you've been living out west for a while, coming east in Spring is going to blow your green-meter right off the charts. Leaf-out is a pretty special time in the east, just like leaf-off! Hope the move is tolerable!

Thanks for all the pointers! Have an upcoming move and definitely gleaned some helpful advice.

Start packing boxes now. Store them in unused rooms. Hire help on moving day to load U-Haul truck. If you have another driver get two trucks. One truck can tow a enclosed trailer if needed. Use a car trailer from U-haul to tow car. No need to remove driveshaft. Hire help at destination for unloading.
I moved from AZ to CA and CA to UT. Both company paid. Nice if company would do it. This Feb I moved myself from UT to NM. Took a cash payout from company to move myself. Was able to make multiple trips within 1 week to get everything moved. Had to move 4 cars, a boat and a shed. The shed was a chicken coup I built for my wife. Had to move the chickens at the same time and had no where for them to live in NM. So i moved their home too!
I have too much crap!

Get the uhaul insurance if you get a uhaul.
When we moved to Arizona, I declined it because comprehensive insurance on our vehicle should cover it in a wreck. I was thinking of a wreck where it would be totaled.... first stop for gas and I realize the fender on the trailer my wife was towing was smashed in, going to rub on the tire and had the same red paint on it as the bollards on the turn into the gas station....
I knew right then it was going to be a long trip and it sure was.
I was able to pry it off the tire. When we got to AZ, my father in law and I took it off and took it to his shop where he is a magician. A few minute on the anvil and some sanding and new paint we pop riveted and bolted that sucker back on as good as new. If it wasn’t for him, I would have been paying uhaul some insane amount for a fender.

If I have to google “piedmontese” I guess already know I could not afford it.
To be fair if I walked out into their field I couldn’t tell you which cow were Piedmontese and which were the angus/black baldy.

elkduds is correct. A good handtruck can be purchased at Costco/Sam's for under a Benjamin and worth 5 times that easy. A $40 dolly will move a piano on a flat surface as easy as pushing a shopping cart at Kroger.

If you've got the time, driving the moving van out without a tow/trailer behind is a bazillion times less stressful than driving with another 20 feet of movement/sway/wind drift behind the moving van, and after arriving, fly back and drive the car out.

Or you could do what we did on my first move as married's.....rented the moving van as "Local" and paying the mileage there and back was cheaper than a one-way rental, including the gas, for the move. Then I drove our second car back to the new home.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not but in the two multi vehicle trips I've made from NJ to NM, walkie talkies were a huge benefit. Is you need to make a quick en route decision the communication is instant instead of having to fumble with a phone to make a call. Food, hotels, lane changes and exits all at the push of a button. Plus it makes it easier to have random banter and helps pass the time.

My last move we rented a 26 ft Penske which I drove with the dog, and my wife and kids followed in our truck. Driving through big city's we always had the Penske out front with the truck following. Made changing lanes in congested areas way better being abe to chirp in and have the truck switch over and block for the Penske. Especially in the northeast where no one will let you in.

If I had one recommendation for a cross country multi vehicle trip; walkie talkies.

Good luck!

Not sure if this was mentioned or not but in the two multi vehicle trips I've made from NJ to NM, walkie talkies were a huge benefit. Is you need to make a quick en route decision the communication is instant instead of having to fumble with a phone to make a call. Food, hotels, lane changes and exits all at the push of a button. Plus it makes it easier to have random banter and helps pass the time.

My last move we rented a 26 ft Penske which I drove with the dog, and my wife and kids followed in our truck. Driving through big city's we always had the Penske out front with the truck following. Made changing lanes in congested areas way better being abe to chirp in and have the truck switch over and block for the Penske. Especially in the northeast where no one will let you in.

If I had one recommendation for a cross country multi vehicle trip; walkie talkies.

Good luck!
Singly the best advice on the thread...

Now I just have to come up with my handle

Back