• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
... actually that brings up a good point, freezers? You folks who drive out to CO will them. Do you think if my freezer is 1/2 full of meat and I just toss some dry ice in it every day that will work?

If you are going to have the freezer where you can get to it anyways, just throw an extension cord in and plug it in at night. That will be enough to keep the meat frozen.

Yeah, I don't have any idea. If it wasn't urgent to get it there, you might be able to find a better price. 🤷‍♂️

Brother just moved from Florida to Utah and the hauler charged him $1100 to transport their minivan and that seemed to be a decent price compared to the other haulers.

I also recommend forearm straps or shoulder dolly's for heavy/awkward items. I can put you in touch with a church congregation in the area that I'm sure would be willing to help if you think you could use it. Good luck and be safe.

We just moved from Wyo to Kansas DIY. We got rid of as much stuff as we could and condensed it down to the point we only needed one 26ft box truck. Saved loads of money doing it ourselves but time consuming. I went with the truck that had a hydraulic lift, it worked well. Had the lift on the ground and piled it up until is was full and then lifted it up, rolling everything with a solid dolly. If you do end up moving yourself allow more time then anticipated, those trucks struggle to hit 65 on flat ground!

My advice if you are doing it yourself and having friends or family help load up is to have everything ready to go on loading day. It sucks when you offer to help someone move and get there to find nothing but a bunch of empty boxes and crap everywhere. We moved from one house to another 3 years ago. We just started getting ready and packing about 2 weeks ahead of time. Did some each day here and there and then by moving day everything was mostly packed and in the garage and ready to go. Only took a couple hours of friends time to help load and unload. Good luck!

Getting ready to make our next out of state move. Last time we pretty much sold or threw everything away. Way easier to buy what you need where your going. Pretty much doing the same thing again this time. One huge mistake I have made this time was having a dozen shoulder mounts done and a ton of euros mounts. Not gonna be fun lugging those things around.

Definitely, we are getting pretty good at being ruthless to never-used possessions.

This is what we did last time after 4 moves in 10 years, ruthless was the word I'd use to describe my sorting of the keep/save piles. I painted "FREE" on a big sheet of plywood and kept stacking things out by the road, I was shocked at how quick things would get taken. If you rent a U-Haul rent one bigger than you think you'd need, and if towing a car pack that sucker full too. Moving just sucks though, we're not planning to move anymore...

No way, won't work, I'll take care of that meat for you and you can come visit it next time you hunt CO... ;)

It's about half full of piedmontese steaks and ground off the calf my wife's family just butchered... you're gonna have to fight the mrs. to get your hands on those.

Best advice I can give is hire it out if you can afford it. Second option is to get the company you're going to work for to pay for it. Otherwise rent a larger truck than you think you need. Makes it easier to load.

I second this. Only done one cross country move. I would add to this to sell and re buy larger items (grill, furniture etc.) what you can if you’re paying for it all yourself.

You can often times bargain with U-Haul. Equipment ends up in popular destinations and they need it distributed again. I’ve rented enclosed trailers one way out of State for $50 that were an $850 rental. They told me if I needed another soon they would give it for free.
Car haulers from U-haul aren’t much more than dollies when all considered.
Car transports are negotiable. Most are third parties that find a truck going to your destination. Eliminate the middleman and call the trucking companies direct (It just depends on how soon you need your car to show up).
Hire a local moving company at your destination to offload for you and mark every box with what room it goes to.
Someone already said buy a stack of standard size boxes, 3M tape guns and felt pens beforehand. They will stack evenly.
With all the purging we did in our last move I still regret bringing half of it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back