• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Yikes, that blows. I've always just used U-Haul trucks, I do like the lower deck heights on their rigs and I'm pretty sure you can hook up their car haulers to them. Just have to disconnect the driveshaft on the vehicle being towed.

Where are you off to now?

If there’s anything big (furniture, appliances, etc) you are already thinking of replacing in the short to mid-term, don’t move it, even if you might need to live without said item for a few months in the interim. I remember helping friends move a PITA behemoth cabinet TV that actually cracked the riser on the basement stairs. They got rid of it shortly after they moved. 🤬

I always use moves as an opportunity to purge stuff. If it’s still in a box from the last move, then I probably don’t need it.

Definitely, we are getting pretty good at being ruthless to never-used possessions.

I actually sold a house once and bought a new one across the street. Yes, I moved across the street...

The new digs were on the water however the move still sucked.

No way to make it suck much less, I've moved from WI>MN>FL>MN>OR>LA>WI in the past 18 years. My pro tip is if you rent a truck make sure it has 10-12 foot ramp. I always liked to back right up through the yard and to the door, then slide that ramp right through the threshold. We invested in a really solid 2 wheel cart with straps. Get some full length door jamb protectors, they make a clamp on style that is great.

Biggest tip my wife and I found was to take good breaks too. We would stop and just have a beer on the patio every couple hours. It helped to avoid some verbal quarreling.

Yikes, that blows. I've always just used U-Haul trucks, I do like the lower deck heights on their rigs and I'm pretty sure you can hook up their car haulers to them. Just have to disconnect the driveshaft on the vehicle being towed.

Where are you off to now?

Yeah was wondering about that... we have a Forester we will be towing, was wondering if we needed to do anything in particular to tow it since it's all wheel drive?

It's the worst. My wife and I have moved eight times in 15 years. If you can, hire people to do the dirty work.

Won't be any different than a RWD - your front wheels will be up on the hauler, disconnecting the driveshaft lets the rear wheels spin freely. You'll need to secure the driveshaft, it would be a good idea to talk with them as you might need to use something to secure it yourself.

Moved a bunch.....always box everything even if you're going just across the street (actually did that when we bought first house).

Even the budget "two guys and a truck " are worth gold....

Doing it in a pandemic...? I got nothing for that. Good luck! May it be a painless as moving can possibly be.

Wish I were there to help. My old horse trailer has been used more frequently to move folks into their new places.

We have been in our house since 1975 and have accumulated massive amount of I don't even remember what! But if you need something ... I probably have it laying around here or in a cabinet somewhere! Help me out; come get it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back