Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
I done did my share of moving over the years, especially while I was in the military. I am about to retire with no plans on moving other than developing a semi-nomadic traveling lifestyle. LOL Moving does suck.

I done did my share of moving over the years, especially while I was in the military. I am about to retire with no plans on moving other than developing a semi-nomadic traveling lifestyle. LOL Moving does suck.

Wife and I lived out of a converted van for a week recently*. Highly recommend we had a blast.

*pre-covid

Last edited by a moderator:
If Budget does moving trucks in your area use them. Their trucks cost about the same as uhaul and are about 10x nicer. The big ones are diesel box trucks, well worth it. I had a very bad experience with uhaul about 10 years ago, I will saw my dick off with a banana before I use them again.

Yeah was wondering about that... we have a Forester we will be towing, was wondering if we needed to do anything in particular to tow it since it's all wheel drive?
Just get a trailer for the forester, saves you from messing with the car itself, and you can back it up easier than if it's on a dolly type apparatus.
Not sure if anyone has said that yet.

actually that brings up a good point, freezers? You folks who drive out to CO will them. Do you think if my freezer is 1/2 full of meat and I just toss some dry ice in it every day that will work?
We freeze gallon jugs of water and bottled water and pack it around everything in the freezer as tight as possible. Freezers work better and stay frozen longer if they are loaded to the fullest extent. A group of 6 of us went on a few hunting trips together with 10 days worth of pre-made meals and packed the freezer as I mentioned. Stuff was still froze like a brick 3-4 days after unplugging it. We run a generator for an hour each night and stuff never thaws. If it’s going to take longer to get it across country even running it off a small generator helps if you stop to eat or rest.

Towing any kind of trailer across the country stinks. Always an increased risk of blown tires or bearing failures and who knows what else. With gasoline being so cheap at the moment and lots of people bored at home is there any chance someone would drive your forester to Massachusetts and just buy them a cheap plane ticket back to Denver?

Start selling as much stuff as you can reasonably part with on Craigslist or Marketplace a couple months in advance of the move. Sold a freezer, lawn mower, and a couple other items before our last move and got replacements on CL once we got there - I think I came out ahead.

Make sure the only nice furniture you own is a mattress. That way, if stuff gets scratched or dented it’s no big deal. Having to be careful with nice stuff is time consuming and a PITA. I will never own nice furniture. Personal preference, but I’d rather spend the money elsewhere. Just thinking about it now, but I’ve spent more on bear rugs and shoulder mounts than I have furniture (mattresses excluded of course).

As others have said, get a truck that’s plenty big. Better to have too much space than not enough. Good luck.

Have you read Travels with Charley ?

Seem like bombing around in this rig, hunting and exploring would be a pretty cool way to spend you're golden years.

1587690616424.png

Added it up and my wife and I have moved 7 times from 2011-present. Most were somewhat local, with one being a big move to a different state. We are in our 3rd place in ID since moving here, but should be in this one a bit longer. We did the move from MN to ID with our Honda CRV, Toyota Tundra and a 6x12 U-haul trailer. Sold a lot of stuff leading up to it so it was a lean move.

When we did that big move in 2017 we threw everything left (that fit in 2 vehicles and 1 trailer) in a friend's shed and bummed around the west for 6+ weeks camping and cheap motels. Nothing reserved ahead did time. Then had another 1+ month off of work after that. Good way to do a move.

my wife and I have moved into 7 different houses in 15 years in 7 different states... Ohio, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, Missouri, and back to Illinois...

Fortunately either my wife's company at the time or my company moved us so out of pocket was less than $1,000 for all 7 trips.
1. Count on damage. Always happens.
2. Move firearms in under cover of darkness. Seriously. I have never brought them in or out ( entire collection) in broad daylight. Our first time in Illinois my collection was around 70-80 firearms and my neighbors had zero idea. After living there for a year I went deer hunting and brought a couple deer home, my neighbor was floored when he found out I had a gun in my house...
3. get a warranty on the house you buy. Very cheap insurance to get you the first year worry free.
4. Schools even if you don't have kids. Moving into a highly ranked school system will help keep your homes value, especially if you figure on moving in less than 5 years.
5. We ALWAYS have dinner the first night in the new house sitting on the floor without furniture. Kind of a corny family ritual but it helps us to forget about the unboxing that is coming up.
6. If you hire movers, they will act like your best friend, but they will steal as quick as you turn your head. I once had a couple hundred dollars of craft beer from NM disappear from my fridge and not one of them would admit to have taken it.
7. Frozen meat in a cooler of dry ice will last a while.
8. Don't let the movers take the important documents. Birth Certificates, titles, etc... all went with us in our Van/truck.
9. Shop around. I just turned a job down in December which would have required a move to Dallas. I sent out estimate requests from three or four national moving companies. Estimates ranged from $22,000-$12,000. Then after not committing the "deals" starting coming in.
10. Enjoy the drive. We always took our time and didn't try to cram 1000 miles in a day.

Back