Caribou Gear Tarp

280AI 143gr Hammer Hunters powder?

I've called in the past asking about some of their .243" offerings. Worth the time.

Thinking I may try some of the 70gr in my son's 243 Win for a pronghorn laser.

I've called in the past asking about some of their .243" offerings. Worth the time.

Thinking I may try some of the 70gr in my son's 243 Win for a pronghorn laser.
Oooo that does sound fun. Too many nifty bullets out there these days.

Took a couple weeks but my new bullets were delivered today. I'm still awaiting replacement brass from Hornady before I can load any. Using a modified case it looks like to the lands I can squeeze these to 3.339" but I need new brass. I'll probably go with a .020" jump once start loading. Haven't figured out a powder yet.
20190619_160853.jpg

Took a couple weeks but my new bullets were delivered today. I'm still awaiting replacement brass from Hornady before I can load any. Using a modified case it looks like to the lands I can squeeze these to 3.339" but I need new brass. I'll probably go with a .020" jump once start loading. Haven't figured out a powder yet.
View attachment 108463
JLS can help. Here's a little info. mtmuley

Last edited:
Thanks mtmuley, I've been following Steve's progress on that thread lately. I really want to try RL26 but I'll likely end up with something much more available like RL16, IMR7828, or H4350. I'm curious if I could get IMR8133 to work if Steve is having luck with slower powders.

Since he has built one, I bet he wrings it out. Keep following what he does. mtmuley

I revisited my load in my 22" barrel 280ai last time we went to the range. I had tried the rl26 and thought it was pretty good, but the vel was inconsistent. Just not enough barrel length to burn all the powder. I tried rl23 again and it worked out well. I was able to comfortably get 3130fps with good es and shooting about an inch at 200y. That was all I was hoping to get from the short barrel. My hope when I started the build was to be able to get to 3100fps.

My apologies on the delay getting your bullets to you. We got moved into our new shop last week and now will be getting the new swiss lathe up and running over the next few weeks. Once we have learned how to handle the programming and everything with it we will hopefully be able to start cutting bullets ahead and creating some back stock. We have room now to add 4 more swiss screw machines on top of this one. If orders continue to come like they are we will be adding more equipment rapidly.

Stay in touch when you start your load development.

IMR7828SSC closely mirrored RL26 in my 7 SAUM with 160 grain Accubonds/Partitions. I'm getting very consistent accuracy and velocities(2960 fps with 160 grain Partitions) out of my 22" barrel with RL26.

IMR7828SSC closely mirrored RL26 in my 7 SAUM with 160 grain Accubonds/Partitions. I'm getting very consistent accuracy and velocities(2960 fps with 160 grain Partitions) out of my 22" barrel with RL26.
Thanks! Judging from my searches last night 7828SSC stands out and even better is available locally. I may give RL23 a try because that seems to be available in Bob Wards. In some of my reading H4350 may be a touch faster than I want so I can squeeze some velocity out of a longer copper bullet

I revisited my load in my 22" barrel 280ai last time we went to the range. I had tried the rl26 and thought it was pretty good, but the vel was inconsistent. Just not enough barrel length to burn all the powder. I tried rl23 again and it worked out well. I was able to comfortably get 3130fps with good es and shooting about an inch at 200y. That was all I was hoping to get from the short barrel. My hope when I started the build was to be able to get to 3100fps.

My apologies on the delay getting your bullets to you. We got moved into our new shop last week and now will be getting the new swiss lathe up and running over the next few weeks. Once we have learned how to handle the programming and everything with it we will hopefully be able to start cutting bullets ahead and creating some back stock. We have room now to add 4 more swiss screw machines on top of this one. If orders continue to come like they are we will be adding more equipment rapidly.

Stay in touch when you start your load development.
Thanks for the update Steve. No worries on the shipping. I really not setup to start shooting right now anyway. Plus I'm excited to support a local company. I'd love to visit the new facilities one day and see how these bullets are made. I can't wait to give them a try.

As far as 280ai brass goes , I went out on a limb and tried fire forming nickel brass and it worked fine , I'm on my second loading after forming and haven't lost a case...they're pretty too...

Bit the Hammer-bullet so to speak. Just ordered some 131gn .284 for a 7mm08 that doesn't seem to like 3 different weights of TTSX. We will see if they live up to all the HT hype. Talked to Steve about one question - seemed like a super helpful guy.
These bullets have proven to be forgiving. Look forward to results. mtmuley

Bit the Hammer-bullet so to speak. Just ordered some 131gn .284 for a 7mm08 that doesn't seem to like 3 different weights of TTSX. We will see if they live up to all the HT hype. Talked to Steve about one question - seemed like a super helpful guy.

What powder are you planning to use?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back