Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

280 vs 7mag

Rooster52

I own a Browning Abolt Stainless Stalker in 280 Remington ,now have the chance at buying same rifle in 7MM Remington Magnum . Do you think I would be gaining much with the 7mag ?

Should mention I just bought a browning Abolt in 338 mag.

Last edited:
It depends on its use. The 280 can be loaded very close to the 7 mag with the lighter bullets. The heavy bullets will do a bit better with the mag. I would forget the 7 mag and just load the 280 to its potential with 140-grain bullets (premiums for elk). Sounds like you are going to need another safe pretty soon!

Last edited:
I don't think the critters will notice the .284 bullet going roughly 100-150 fps faster. Caliber performance advantage, I'd say not much gains to be had. Especially if you are handloading for your 280. That said, if you aren't reloading, ammo selection and availability can be pretty limited for the 280 unless you buy it online.

But who doesn't want another rifle? Good luck with your decision.

I think I will pass on the 7mm mag. Though it is a nice left handed rifle.So far I really like my 280.

My opinion is it is not enough to matter. The 280 is a sweet caliber though. I am surprised it never took off.

I tried to get info on the .280 back in the late '80's and my gun guy had nothing for me. He said he didn't know anything about the cal. Wishing I would have bought one now.

I've got both, shot quite a few animals with both including a bunch of elk, and the only difference is the 7 will shoot the bigger bullets a tad flatter. On the receiving end, zero difference.

The best thing the 280 may offer is a slightly lighter package.

A 280 and a 338 is about as perfect of a pair as I could imagine having for hunting NA.

On some models of rifle I think you can get another round in the magazine with the 280... (smaller diameter and no belt).

Be Safe,

I'd sell the RH 338 Abolt, buy the 7mm Mag and either have it rebarreled or rebored to 338 Win. if you just have to have a 338. Or I'd use it as is with some heavy bullets. I know I'd prefer a correct handed rifle.

My real choice would be to sell the wrong handed 338 and take the 280 on a hunt some where.

1 pointer is in my boat. Your new elk medicine machine : nice weapon by the way, should be good for anything. Give both to your kids - cant take em with ya.

I own a 280 and love it! It barked a little, so I put a boss on it and really love it now. Got rid of my 7mmMag, cuz I didn't enjoy shooting it since it kicked me like a mule. Great caliber!

You could have your chamber reamed for .280 Ackley Improved. That particular caliber is considered to get the most performance out of the A.I. lineup. It wouldn't give up much to the 7mag, if anything.

You could have your chamber reamed for .280 Ackley Improved. That particular caliber is considered to get the most performance out of the A.I. lineup. It wouldn't give up much to the 7mag, if anything.

Do you really get that much improvement on the 280 with an AI? It's already a flat, fast caliber. I have a .257 AI and it performs a bit better for the smaller caliber

Same bullet (150 gr), heaviest recommended powder load for both calibers, the AI will only give you about 140fps over the .280 according to Nosler. The 140gr will give a little over 200 fps with the AI.

I'd sell the RH 338 Abolt, buy the 7mm Mag and either have it rebarreled or rebored to 338 Win. if you just have to have a 338. Or I'd use it as is with some heavy bullets. I know I'd prefer a correct handed rifle.

My real choice would be to sell the wrong handed 338 and take the 280 on a hunt some where.

I got such a good deal on the 338 ,I could probably sell it ,buy the 7mag and have $200 left over. That 338 is such a nice rifle,Wish it was a lefty.

I got such a good deal on the 338 ,I could probably sell it ,buy the 7mag and have $200 left over. That 338 is such a nice rifle,Wish it was a lefty.

I quit compromising and shooting right-handed rifles. I only have one left. It used to be that there were not many options, but not so anymore. Many gun makers have quit discriminating against left-handers.`

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back