.280 ACKLEY IMPROVED

Kotimaki

I picked up a kimber hunter 84l in 280 ackley this summer and am finally getting around to load development. I decided to start with the Berger classic 168 and 4831. Saami spec on the 280ai is 3.330 coal. This rifle jams a bullet into the lands at a coal of3.250 tight enough that it will pull bullets every time. So I'm looking at loading to 3.240 to start for a 10 thou jump. This throws published load data and pressures out the window. Anybody have a formula to estimate pressure increase vs diminished case capacity?

Just start low with published data and work up. You will be fine

For crying out loud, lot's of people say that. I have a better idea. Start low with published data and work up. Ah shoot, that's what you said! Your a pretty smart feller! Make the OLL what ever your rifle can handle.

I picked up a kimber hunter 84l in 280 ackley this summer and am finally getting around to load development. I decided to start with the Berger classic 168 and 4831. Saami spec on the 280ai is 3.330 coal. This rifle jams a bullet into the lands at a coal of3.250 tight enough that it will pull bullets every time. So I'm looking at loading to 3.240 to start for a 10 thou jump. This throws published load data and pressures out the window. Anybody have a formula to estimate pressure increase vs diminished case capacity?
Brockel called it. But if you are curious for more info you can post on the handloadersbench.com forum and typically somebody will run the numbers through QuickLoad for you.

Last edited:
Worked my way up to 60.5 ...no pressure signs. Low node was too low , high node seems about exactly what I was looking for. 60.5 is just over 3000 and 3/4 group. This rifle does heat up fast and consistently throws the 3rd shot to the right an inch or more. Ten minutes between rounds made a huge difference. All in all I think I'm going to like this rifle.

Ummm, you don't specify WHICH 4831...
There is a difference!
Just like 4350.

And you don't have to go to handloaders for some Quickload data. Just PM me with your specs.
Already got bullet, COAL.
Just need barrel length, and which powder.

Quick load takes all the adventure and education out of the loading process.
You will never actually know till you run em down the barrel.
I recommend 20 thousands jump as the most, 15 is usually great for accuracy and reliable loading in and out of the chamber.
Load a few and give it a tweak hear and there and run some more.
Start 6-8 grains below Max and go with the 10 thou jump. You can increase powder or seat the bullet deeper on several as you go, checking for pressure sighns, accuracy, and speed if you have a chrony.

8gr lower seems a big step. To me at least.
Depending upon powder, there is the possibility of getting pressure spikes due to not enough case fill.

As with everything, Quickload is a tool. Use with caution.

8gr lower seems a big step. To me at least.
Depending upon powder, there is the possibility of getting pressure spikes due to not enough case fill.

As with everything, Quickload is a tool. Use with caution.
10% below max is general loadbook advice. I tend to start 5-7% below and have never had pressure signs in the first two-thirds of a ladder. YMMV.

OK , time for an update. I settled on 168 berger classics at 2885 , sub 1/2 moa. I bedded the recoil lug and back of action and that solved the heat induced 3rd round flier. Ordered a turret and tested drops out to 500 and all was well. Took the rifle out for its maiden voyage on a northern MI doe. 275 yard lung shot and decimated the off shoulder , like a grenade went off in her. Off to Wyoming....3 antelope later ive decided that this is definately not a meat friendly load. 6-8 inch exits with fragments dispersed throughout. I neck shot a buck antelope to minimize damage and still blew a substantial portion of loin out. For bigger game ...elk and moose I think this would be an excellent load. I just ordered a box of 143 Hammers and we will see how they do.....Karl

Don't know if this will work for you or not, depends a lot on the rifle. Years ago I had an L61 Sako in 7mm mag that shot very well with 139gr Horady spire points but I wanted heavier bullet's in it. Problem I had was using bullet's available, I couldn't seat out a 160gr bullet, Speer Hot Core, to have the base of the bullet at the jct of the neck and shoulder without jamming the bullet into the lands. That was where I seated 139gr bullet's and they shot much much better. Long action on the L61 and the magazine allowed me to seat the 160gr they way I wanted and it would still work in the action. Loaded up a dummy round and took it to a gunsmith and had the throat let out enough to chamber that round with the bullet just off the lands. Turned the rifle with that bullet into a 1/2" rifle and upped the powder chg at max quite a bit also. If your magazine will handle extra length you might consider having the throat of the rifle reamed out a bit!

Magazine length has me pretty limited for length , but looking at drawings if the berger 168 was workable , the hammer should have no problem.

I'm from the crowd that believes that Bergers are not hunting bullets...many argue otherwise but your example proves my point and I think you're on the right track with the 143 Hammers.

I'm using 7828SSC but 4831 does excellent in 280AI. Next I'll be trying 7977 and RL26 (apparently shipments hit the stores in late November) with Fed215s instead of 210s. RL26 apparently produces about 150fps over my 7828 with better consistency. Based on my Kimber rifle, I'm at 3.31" COAL with the 143s which feed just fine.

Last edited:
Berger bullets are definitely a type of hunting bullets. I bet the OP didn’t have much of a tracking job and recovered all the animals he shot. I do agree they are a different style of bullet but in my experience they are very effective as a hunting bullet.

OP- The 275 yard lung shot. Was it a quartered shot? If passing through the lungs and into the shoulder I’d expect meat loss from a lot of hunting bullets also.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back