.280 ACKLEY IMPROVED

I tried several bullet and powder combinations. I finally settled on 4831SC and 162 ELD-x. I got very consistent velocities and accuracy. RL22 was faster, but very temperature sensitive. H4350 was ok. It didn't quite have the accuracy of the 4831SC though. I have shot deer with the 162s, and they are great at shots over 100yd. I shot my sheep at 90yd and had a little more damage than I hoped for. I shot it dead broadside behind the shoulder, and found pieces of the copper jacket in the on side hind quarter. It bloodshot both shoulders a good ways away from the entrance/exit and managed to open up the guts and get pieces of jacket in the hind quarter. I'll keep shooting them, but wanted to mention the damage I've seen.

Scratching my head wondering when RL22 became so "tempreture sensitive"?

No clue. I had some rounds loaded and shot them in the morning at around 50 degrees with no issues. Later in the afternoon I shot at 80 degrees from the same batch and got a lot of pressure signs, to the point it jammed my bolt on one shot. All of the ammo was loaded at the same time, with an RCBS Chargemaster.

Well 2 antelope down with 143 grain Hammer Hunter in the 280AI. Pretty impressed with the lack of bloodshot (buck shot at 225 yards). Looking forward to seeing what they do on the rest of the animals this season.
What load are you running if i may ask?

If you can get RL26 that's supposedly the powder for the Hammer Hunters...but that stuff is basically nonexistent so H4831 works well and I'm using 7828SSC and my loads keep up with H4831. If you follow the 140 grain bullet loads and work up, I think you'll find they match pretty well.

After emailing Steve at Hammer, it seemed he gave a very slight edge to RL23. So I never tried RL26. My gun is a Remington 700 action with a 24" pacnor #2 and 1:9 twist. The great thing about this gun is it shoots everything pretty good. apparently I like spend money and time and I've tried 160 Accubond, 140 accubond, 140 ttsx, 145 LRX, 150 E-tip, and now 143 Hammers. Powders tried were RL17, 19, 22, 23, H4831sc, IMR4831, IMR4350.

for me, the 160 accubond was excellent with RL19 getting the nod over H4831SC. I never found the 140 AB, 140ttsx to be as accurate as the 160 so gave up on them. The 145 LRX was as good as the 160’s using H4831sc.

With the Hammers, 57 grains of RL23, cci250 primer, .020 jump was the best. Though Not breaking any speed records at 2960. That’s plenty fast.

If you can get RL26 that's supposedly the powder for the Hammer Hunters...but that stuff is basically nonexistent so H4831 works well and I'm using 7828SSC and my loads keep up with H4831. If you follow the 140 grain bullet loads and work up, I think you'll find they match pretty well.
I have heard the same from others. Quickload denotes some powders with a *C*T meaning that it has a copper fouling reducer compound added AND that it's temperature insensitive. Reloder 22 has a *C indicating that it's likely temperature sensitive. I have about a pound to use up. Reloder 23 has a *C*T designation. In my 2 newest 6.5mm projects I'm going to stick with those powders that have at least a *C rating.

I have heard the same from others. Quickload denotes some powders with a *C*T meaning that it has a copper fouling reducer compound added AND that it's temperature insensitive. Reloder 22 has a *C indicating that it's likely temperature sensitive. I have about a pound to use up. Reloder 23 has a *C*T designation. In my 2 newest 6.5mm projects I'm going to stick with those powders that have at least a *C rating.
I made the switch to RL26 back in Feb or March after getting a couple jugs. I'm using 62.5grs with the 143HH @ 3168fps with a 2.6ES. That seems to jive with others

I made the switch to RL26 back in Feb or March after getting a couple jugs. I'm using 62.5grs with the 143HH @ 3168fps with a 2.6ES. That seems to jive with others

Does Reloder 26 tend to be temperature sensitive?

Does Reloder 26 tend to be temperature sensitive?
So far I've not noticed any difference throughout the year. My dial up was exact on my bull and temps were about 20 degrees and I think I developed the load when it was about 60 degrees. Most info I've read it's stable but I'm not so sure a person would notice a difference within average hunting distances.

Don't forget to define "average hunting distance".
On the "Nosler Wants to See Your Success" thread one poster has a 20 yard shot, and 2 shots done over 500 yards.

It definitely relies on the shooter as to what distance they are comfortable shooting at an animal, and for the weather conditions at that time.

As for RL26 temp stability, i've seen little POI shift on targets at 600 yards from 28°-80° with my 7mm Rem Mag & 150gr ABLR.

Kotimaki,

Glad to hear you found a load that works for you, and your enjoying your rifle!

Kind of late , but finally finished up load work on this 280 AI. 64.0 grains of h4831sc , 143 hammer hunter gave me 1/2 inch groups and 3180 fps on the chrono. A couple antelope and three whitetails later I am sold on this combination.
I just purchased a Kimber Montana in 280AI! I’m getting done semi custom work done then I’ll have it in January.

I’m excited for it! Considering reloading possibly

Congrats!

Reloading will bring out the best of it.
Then theres the satisfaction that you made the ammo that took your game, or shot the small group.

My burn rate chart puts RL23 a little slower than RL22. I've read that they are very close, close enough to be basically interchangeable, and that RL23 can almost be considered a temperature insensitive version of 22. Any of you guys that have used both seen anything contradict that? How do the two compare in the real world?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back