Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.277 Fury

YoungGun

Sig Sauer has pumped up the .277 Fury as the next big thing, using 80000 psi to push 140gr pills at 3000fps from a 16" barrel (~3240fps from a 24" barrel). However, there's still very limited user data out there on the cartridge. Any Hunt Talkers out there know anything more on one of the newest member to the .270 family? Being a potential military cartridge, my guess is it'll either stay in the outer-circles of the shooting world or once the production lines start pumping them out in mass, it could be the next Hunting Magazine Editor's love child, either way- I'm curious.

There isn't really to much out there on the cartridge, I do find it interesting, but my thoughts are from what I've seen and read, the ammo if released as full production, would probably cost a lot more, being that the brass is actually a 2 piece design in conjunction with stainless steel being used with the brass, and the process of producing the brass would therefore be more costly. I also believe, I may be wrong on this, that this would be a difficult if not impossible cartridge to reload for, because of the 2-piece design. However, if the cartridge would become mainstream, a lightweight hunting rifle with a 16" barrel would be a game changer and be hard to keep in stock, whether you're a sheep hunter or hunting the thick woods in the east.

Had been arguing with my son over it's existence for a few weeks until he showed me an article. Interesting to say the least. I agree with glockz on its interest spanning many hunting types. Hard to believe the brass will be too expensive since it's being developed for the military but then again maybe that's why cost isn't a factor.

I agree on the cost aspect, and certainly on the reloading, or lack of ability to do so, rather. It seems like most of the info out there is from the December-February timeframe, with nothing more recent. To me, they (Sig) must have ceased/slowed production due to COVID or are waiting to have a large stock on hand before beginning the distribution and sale of it. I'm guessing the brass is the hold up, as it's not as simple as resizing a bunch of 30TC cartridges, like when introducing the 6.5CM. If the technology of the two piece case design works well, I'm sure we as hunters and shooters will benefit and begin seeing other manufacturers producing new spins on old favorites that use higher PSI to replicate performances typically seen out of longer actions. God know's there will be a .26 wildcat of sorts coming along before long, and then a .30 wildcat as well. Nice to see the .27s getting a refresh though. I just wish I could see real world results from real people on this cartridge, as well as the Cross Rifle that's being released along with it.

I agree on the cost aspect, and certainly on the reloading, or lack of ability to do so, rather. It seems like most of the info out there is from the December-February timeframe, with nothing more recent. To me, they (Sig) must have ceased/slowed production due to COVID or are waiting to have a large stock on hand before beginning the distribution and sale of it. I'm guessing the brass is the hold up, as it's not as simple as resizing a bunch of 30TC cartridges, like when introducing the 6.5CM. If the technology of the two piece case design works well, I'm sure we as hunters and shooters will benefit and begin seeing other manufacturers producing new spins on old favorites that use higher PSI to replicate performances typically seen out of longer actions. God know's there will be a .26 wildcat of sorts coming along before long, and then a .30 wildcat as well. Nice to see the .27s getting a refresh though. I just wish I could see real world results from real people on this cartridge, as well as the Cross Rifle that's being released along with it.

blame covid, or dont, or we can assume this cartridge is going to be similar to the "new" Jeep grand wagoneer, something talked about, developed, but never available for consumers.

agreed. this is a concept that won't work and was introduced to bolster interest in the company.
Definitely could be the case- no pun intended- but if it sparks interest, someone is bound to go that route sooner or later. In the day and age when seemingly everything is getting lighter, shorter, faster, and more "tactical", there's probably a market for it. Nosler jumping on the .27 bandwagon will be a decent barometer for the markets desire for a new cartridge between the 26 caliber offerings and the 28 caliber offerings. I think it's there- people like to spend there hard earned money on something not all that much better than something that has been around for half a century- but time will tell. Am I curious about the .277 Fury and the potential a two piece case could offer? As someone who plays with the Army's toys on occasion, Absolutely. Does it make sense? Probably not- but the big green machine isn't know for doing what makes the most sense all that often.

However, if the cartridge would become mainstream, a lightweight hunting rifle with a 16" barrel would be a game changer and be hard to keep in stock, whether you're a sheep hunter or hunting the thick woods in the east.

.270WSM - Kimber Ascent 5lbs 12oz, 24 in barrel, 140 grn, 3250fps

.277 Fury - Sig Cross 6lb 8oz, 16 inch barrel, 140 grain, 3000 fps

If kimber chambered it, I bet it would have a 22 inch barrel in the ascent and 18 inch in the adirondack. That setup would weigh 4lb 13 oz, so you would save a pound. IMHO that's really all you're getting with this round, magnum performance out of a standard short action cartridge for likely a premium price.

Also I'm personally going to take a hard pass on the cross as a hunting platform.

This. My Stainless Mountain Rifle with a 22" tube is shooting a 136 grain mono at 3150 fps. And it's not near as ugly as these are.

I just see that pistol grip digging into my back and or side, and that barrel shroud getting full of crap. Plus if you take the volume of the cross versus the tikka, I think the cross is actually bigger just shorter. 🤷‍♂️

.270WSM - Kimber Ascent 5lbs 12oz, 24 in barrel, 140 grn, 3250fps

.277 Fury - Sig Cross 6lb 8oz, 16 inch barrel, 140 grain, 3000 fps

If kimber chambered it, I bet it would have a 22 inch barrel in the ascent and 18 inch in the adirondack. That setup would weigh 4lb 13 oz, so you would save a pound. IMHO that's really all you're getting with this round, magnum performance out of a standard short action cartridge for likely a premium price.

Also I'm personally going to take a hard pass on the cross as a hunting platform.
I wouldn't consider a Sig Cross a hunting rifle, because it's a chassis style build and it doesn't have a beautiful wood stock and or any synthetic version of one. I for one don't find anything aesthetically appealing about the chassis style, to me it's just plain ugly! But if Kimber were to chamber it in the Adirondack or another manufacturer came out with one, well now we're talking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back