Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.277 Fury

Now that I regularly see factory loads on the shelves at Murdoch's- anyone have any experience with this cartridge? The 150gr Accubond loads out of a 24" barrel are impressive. Even the 16" numbers fall between a 24" 6.5 PRC and a 6.5 CM.

Seems like all the new military rifles are designed for fighting in the sand, and I get that. But if we are ever in the wood/jungle again, seems like the Cross will catch on every limb or vine. Don't understand.

i like the idea of getting that kind of performance out of a rifle that you could potentially fold in half and put inside your pack. that would be the main selling point for me. sure would be nice to not have to worry about a rifle strapped to your pack or slung over your shoulder all the time
Imagine you are attacked by an animal out hunting and you have to get your rifle out of your pack, on your back, and unfold it to protect yourself! Yea does make a handgun seem like a good idea! I really doubt, don't know for sure, that this cartridge won't kill anything any deader or any faster than a bunch of cartridges we already have based on some very old cases!

Now that I regularly see factory loads on the shelves at Murdoch's- anyone have any experience with this cartridge? The 150gr Accubond loads out of a 24" barrel are impressive. Even the 16" numbers fall between a 24" 6.5 PRC and a 6.5 CM.
What are the prices you are seeing for the factory loads?

What are the prices you are seeing for the factory loads?
$30-$60/box of 20 depending on the load.

Seems like all the new military rifles are designed for fighting in the sand, and I get that. But if we are ever in the wood/jungle again, seems like the Cross will catch on every limb or vine. Don't understand.
The Cross isn't designed for the military- the MCX-SPEAR is Sig's offering to meet the Military's Next Generation Weapon, which is also chambered in the .277 Fury to meet the military's design criteria (135-140 grain .27 caliber bullet capable of 3100+ fps out of a short action or AR-15 length receiver.
I'd just load a "regular" .270 or maybe a WSM with a Hammer as fast as I could push it. mtmuley
I agree that there are several loads in existence that one could try and replicate the .277 Fury's performance, albeit the 80,000psi SAAMI approve pressure of the cartridge. But that wasn't the question- it was if anyone had experience with this cartridge. I take it you do not but felt the need to share your opinion regardless?

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back