.260 Rem. Model 7

Muskeez

I'm totally new to hunting with a rifle (not legal in my part of Iowa other than fur-bearers.) A friend can get me a Rem. Model 7, .260 that is over 5 yrs old but still new in box from a friend of his that just has never used it. It has a laminated stock and blued barrel. What would this gun be worth, and more importantly, would it be a good choice of caliber for my upcoming antelope hunt with my daughters and for a future mule deer hunt? Thanks for any advise!!

The 260 Rem is an excellent deer/antelope cartridge. Perfect for kids with moderate recoil.
I think NIB they retailed for something like $750-800. One sold on 24hrCampfire that was slightly used (less than 75rds shot) with laminate stock for $625.

I agree with the above, great chambering for middlin' size big game and even elk with the right bullets. However, beings that you are not in a rifle state for hunting I assume you don't handload. Though many companies make ammo for 260 Rem, there are not as many options nor is availability as good as many other comparable chamberings. Unless the price is a screaming deal I'd suggest a similar rifle in 243 Win or 308 Win for the greater availability and options in factory ammunition.

Also, IMO, the laminated stocked Model 7, don't handle all that well. I find them quite butt heavy, with the 18.5" barrels being worse at this than the 20" barrels. Putting a lighter stock on the 20" barreled one changes things in a big way, but ups the cost quite a bit as well. Like I said above, if it's a screaming deal I'd still get it, but just something to think about. FWIW...

The .260 is an excellent caliber, as it has low recoil and muzzle blast. As stated, ammo is much more readily available with other options. Since you don't spend a tremendous amount of time hunting with a rifle, I believe that a .308 would be your best option. If it is a great deal, it would still be worth buying, though.

There are some great company's that can supply you handload quality rounds for the 260 at a reasonable price. Copper creek in MO, and southwest out of Arizona. In fact I had copper creek do the load development on mine, very reasonable for the effort.

THANK YOU for everyone's advise!
I got it bought,...haven't even seen a pic of it yet, but I trust my fishn buddy that found it. Got one helluva deal! ($400) It was just meant to be that this deal fell in my lap as I was looking for a gun that would be good for my daughters to use for our first antelope hunt. The guy that found it for me is a total gun-nut and will help me get the equipment needed to reload if I choose to do so. Factory ammo is $1.75 per pull of the trigger. Now just need to look for a scope. Will look for something with BDC like my muzzleloader has probably. Any recommendations on what power to get?

My Remington .260 is quite a bit older but I am will using the 3x9 Pentax Lightseeker scope I originally put on it. My kids shoot it at a range of 200 yds or less. That thing will flat out kill deer. Good luck, have fun.

Back