Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Remington model 7 accuracy

chevyman181

Hello all,

My wife has an older model 7 in 7mm-08 with a super thin barrel. I'm just wondering what kind of accuracy folks are getting with them and if any has and ideas on improving accuracy with it. It shoots about 2 moa 3 shot groups with everything we've tried. Not horrible but would like it to be better, maybe more like 1 moa.

Thanks

I’ve got the exact same and it shoots about the exact same. I love the wood stock on it but there isn’t a ton of material near the rear action screw to pillar bed it (at least for me). Don’t really want to upgrade the stock for aesthetics but it might wind up in a B&C stock and hope that tightens it up.

I’ve always heard some of the model 7’s were a toss up.

My wife’s is one of the predator models with the heavier fluted 22 inch barrel, it shoots as well as either of us can.

I have a regular 7-08 with the 18 inch thin barrel. I must’ve gotten lucky, it’s been sub moa and shoots the factory 120 ttsx’s best. Still in the factory plastic stock right now. It came with that x mark trigger and even with the screw backed all the way down was s***. I put a timney on it, well worth it.

Hello all,

My wife has an older model 7 in 7mm-08 with a super thin barrel. I'm just wondering what kind of accuracy folks are getting with them and if any has and ideas on improving accuracy with it. It shoots about 2 moa 3 shot groups with everything we've tried. Not horrible but would like it to be better, maybe more like 1 moa.

Thanks
Back off and re torque your action screws. No more than 35in/lb front and 25in/lb rear. Some rifles have a sweet spot they like to be at. Also make sure your magazine box isn't bottomed out.
If the barrel is free floating then you can try a pressure pad at the tip of the forend and if it's got a pressure pad you can try removing it.

Of course there's always bedding.

If it's got a thin barrel you need to wait a while between shots so you're essentially on a cold bore every time.

Hello all,

Thanks
I got one with wood stock when they first came out. Far and away the worst shooting rifle I've ever owned. Much worse than 2"!

Back off and re torque your action screws. No more than 35in/lb front and 25in/lb rear. Some rifles have a sweet spot they like to be at. Also make sure your magazine box isn't bottomed out.
If the barrel is free floating then you can try a pressure pad at the tip of the forend and if it's got a pressure pad you can try removing it.

Of course there's always bedding.

If it's got a thin barrel you need to wait a while between shots so you're essentially on a cold bore every time.
In your experience, does this apply to 700’s as well? I’ve heard this about the Savages as well.

I’m particularly interested in a stainless 260 Rem version, btw.
I got one of these for my daughter to shoot, my boys .270 would be a little too big for her. I know guys that been successful on large bull elk, Mtn goat, deer, and pronghorn with the .260 REM. I haven’t shot it yet.

Balance is a little weird on M7s, they are quite butt heavy. I found the one I had hard to shoot well away from the bench. I had it rebarreled with a heavier profile, and that helped a lot.

That’s a good looking rifle. What did the Model Seven’s sale for when they were and available?
A stainless would probably have been in that $650-800 range depending on where and what you were looking at. I remember handling one of the hs precision rifles that they made right at the end and it was right at $1k but that was their top end rifle

I got one of these for my daughter to shoot, my boys .270 would be a little too big for her. I know guys that been successful on large bull elk, Mtn goat, deer, and pronghorn with the .260 REM. I haven’t shot it yet.
PM me if you decide to sell it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back