Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

22 acre lot near Bozeman

Have not. It’s one of probably 100 or more ~20 acre lots that in the development, so I doubt it has much conservation value given the size of the parcel and fact that everything around it will or has been built on.
An easement would unlock the landlocked public land though.

Is there a public land hunter using this forum that can actually afford this? Jeez that's steep. Heck rather than spend 600k for the property, I could buy 20 30k guided hunts!
Not a good comparison IMO. Guided hunts you walk away from it with memories, maybe some trophies, and no money. I’ll walk away from this with incredible memories hunting with my son, all of my original investment plus a decent return. No trophies, but that was never the objective. Side benefit is my son has learned a good lesson on how to make his money work for him vs. the other way around.

Some people put their investment assets into the stock market. There’s some pretty active threads on here about that. I choose to put mine into dirt that I can enjoy while it appreciates.

Not a good comparison IMO. Guided hunts you walk away from it with memories, maybe some trophies, and no money. I’ll walk away from this with incredible memories hunting with my son, all of my original investment plus a decent return. No trophies, but that was never the objective. Side benefit is my son has learned a good lesson on how to make his money work for him vs. the other way around.

Some people put their investment assets into the stock market. There’s some pretty active threads on here about that. I choose to put mine into dirt that I can enjoy while it appreciates.
I'm totally with you - all of my investments are in land. Was just pointing out what your market here is on this forum that you are advertising to.

Fair market price.
I suspect road maintenance is questionable, but regardless, proximity is pretty sweet for outdoor opportunity.
They do a decent job, but yeah, there’s going to be times when you’re snowed in for a day or so until they get things cleared. So if it’s mandatory you show up to work on a set schedule or you’re a first responder that has to be able to get out when needed, the location might not work for you. But a big part of what’s driving the increase in values is that more and more people have remote or flexible work arrangements.

As with all semi-remote properties, rapid access to first responder services can be challenging, so that should be a consideration in choosing that lifestyle.

@Big Fin I listened to your Elk Talk podcast today where you talked about saving for your dream hunting trips.

I couldn’t help but think of how land/housing for individuals now is so much different than when you came up. It would be interesting to see a wages, inflation, cost of housing comparison on the next podcast discussing it.
This made me laugh. I’m not sure a podcast discussing data charts is good for anything except insomnia.

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the Financial forum. Going back to 1990 mutes some of the most recent craziness. It’s not great but also hard to get apples to apples comparison. The size of the average house has gone up by 50% so that has to be looked at with prices. You don’t have that problem with raw land but you have to pick data to measure and Housing prices is more robust. Average wages in MT are 3x what they were in 1990.

I don’t think it paints a rosy picture, but our minds have a problem with compounding so nominal increases look worse. Also, a lot of housing data comes from NAR which tries to sell the homeownership idea and how it is a great investment all the time. The real problem is all we have is average or median numbers. The people on the left tail of the wealth distribution are much worse off and there are a LOT more of them, while the people on the right tail just keep accumulating wealth through compounding. Historically, every society has found this to be unsustainable.

This made me laugh. I’m not sure a podcast discussing data charts is good for anything except insomnia.
Shut Your Mouth Step Brothers GIF - Shut Your Mouth Step Brothers Will Ferrell GIFs

Quite a few <20 acre lots within 30 mins of CDA that have similar pricing. The private golf clubs have <2 acre lots for 7 figures.

Fortunately bought property here in 2018 and 2019, even though current prices make me feel stuck. Good place to be stuck.

Got 40 acres (didn't get the mule with it) and paid almost $3800/acre for it about 5 years ago. Now, the price of land is $11,000 an acre at my place.

I'm going to wait 20 more years and sell my house and land for a million and move to my lake 2- (4 acre acre) lake lots that we paid next to nothing for years back.

We will build a house there and live out our days hunting and fishing the corp land by boat and put my middle finger in the air kid rock style to the rest of this crazy world. Kids growing up today will NEVER be able to buy land. They will only be able to inherit it.

I remember hearing about property on the Gallatin going for 20k/acre about 20 years ago. Coworker had family property on Lake Chelan waterfront, siblings forced a sale, 1/4 acre with a cabin, went for over 600k and they wanted him to remove the cabin, that was over 15 years ago. 20 acres next to me with leveled building site, power, good well and septic installed, only level ground is the building site and about 18 acres is too steep to use for much, last I heard asking was 300k, and I'm no where near the lake. Wife's boss built a house on 5 acres with lake views and within 2 years turned down 1.7mil and are currently asking 2.4mil.

Interest rates are awful now but I bet it will still move fairly quickly, especially if they come down. Beautiful property, good luck with the sale.

It’s not just western Montana. We bought our land 9 years ago and for what it appraises for today blows my mind. 5x what we paid and I thought we paid a lot then. And it doesn’t have much for views

I live at the top of an old ski hill and this place sounds like a winter nightmare even to me.

How much does a 2000 sq ft 3 bed/2 bath cost to build on a place like this these days?

will you take a 6-year contingent offer? need to get the girls through school, then we'll take it. haha. i'm sure you'll sell it in no time. i've drooled over this listing a couple different times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back