Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

22 acre lot near Bozeman

Gotta add the part about public land with no public access, cuz it raises the value….

Good luck with the sale maybe the next landowner will allow access.. 😏

Depending on the location, winter wind can be a pretty big deal up there.
Wind gets bad up on top of the state land where it opens up to the east towards Livingston. Not near as bad on the west facing side. I had a cabin closer to Livingston for awhile, and I can definitively say that the wind over there is WAY worse! Snow is the biggest challenge where this lot is located.

Wind gets bad up on top of the state land where it opens up to the east towards Livingston. Not near as bad on the west facing side. I had a cabin closer to Livingston for awhile, and I can definitively say that the wind over there is WAY worse! Snow is the biggest challenge where this lot is located.
Good year to sell it... we don't have diddly for snow this year.

Gotta add the part about public land with no public access, cuz it raises the value….

Good luck with the sale maybe the next landowner will allow access.. 😏
I didn’t create that problem, but simply chose to play the hand we’ve all been dealt with the resources I had available. And yes, that “feature” did play into the property’s value to me when I bought it. I had the same situation with my cabin near Livingston that actually abutted a different section of state land. It factored into that purchase decision as well. To be clear, I’m not buying properties in order to landlock public, but instead I’m buying properties that give me access to public that is already landlocked. I’ve given permission to several people on this site to use my property to access those state land sections. I also didn’t throw a big fit when a local rancher drove across my pasture to get to his cattle that were grazing on the public. But I don’t have the authority to unilaterally grant open access to a private road that I don’t own.

Last edited:
just like $300/sf to start around bozeman.
Generally there’s a premium for construction on more remote parcels. The lots are often more challenging to build on, time and fuel expense getting there, etc, etc. I was quoted $800,000 to build an 1800 sqft timber frame on a remote piece of land I had near Park City a few years ago. I assume supply/demand issues around Bozeman are driving similar construction prices.

I live on the east coast unimproved land is going for 60k an acre around me with the closest public land access being a 45min drive. Market value is market value and it all relative..point being its a bigger market than Texas or Cali....Good Luck with the sale OP.
Agree. There’s also big variations based on the location. I’m currently upside-down on a gorgeous 150 acre property in NM - 15,000 acre cattle ranch that was subdivided into 100 150 acre lots; roads cut and power run throughout. Those lots are currently selling for ~$75k each. Can someone please make a popular TV show idealizing the dessert canyon life midway between Amarillo and Albuquerque? Maybe call it “Route 66” or something nostalgic like that since that famous road does abut the development. 😂

1701205383276.jpeg

Agree. There’s also big variations based on the location. I’m currently upside-down on a gorgeous 150 acre property in NM - 15,000 acre cattle ranch that was subdivided into 100 150 acre lots; roads cut and power run throughout. Those lots are currently selling for ~$75k each. Can someone please make a popular TV show idealizing the dessert canyon life midway between Amarillo and Albuquerque? Maybe call it “Route 66” or something nostalgic like that since that famous road does abut the development. 😂

View attachment 303729

How many landowner elk tags do I get with it? 😁

As far as dreams of moving west someday (and buying any land) - I guess I fold.

Well, maybe a really small piece… I do have my tent and stove after all.

Good luck on the sale.
Don't apply for a goat tag unless you have another tent. Just saying

View attachment 303729
I like this one better personally. 2 sections for the price of 20 acres near BZN. How is the wind there?

Being from Michigan I am not up on Bozeman. Maybe it’s the going rate. However, that price seems extraordinarily high. It makes me wonder how anyone millennials of average means can afford to live or work anywhere in the US there.

Welcome to the problems of everyone under 45.
1701212644898.png

Hell it's even like that in Mississippi

1701213244466.png
Oklahoma
1701213298991.png
1701213399934.png

A modest house with a back 40 is probably going to run you 1.5-2MM in a lot of places these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 303735
Boggles my mind that anyone is insane enough to spend like that. Unless you have inside information on that property to become something or you can make a killing on the surface/mineral rights then I feel it’s just simply stupid.
Idk where that picture is though, maybe if Lake MI is just out of view then I guess it could be different.

I see parcels priced that way in PA and just laugh. They eventually sell for 1/10th the price 4 years later.

I like this one better personally. 2 sections for the price of 20 acres near BZN. How is the wind there?
Not as bad as WY! 😜

I think a big driver in the huge price per acre difference is whether it’s near some “cool” town or city. This NM property is literally in the middle nowhere, although it is very close to I-20 which will get you to either Albuquerque or Amarillo in a few hours.

View attachment 303735

Hell it's even like that in Mississippi

View attachment 303736
Oklahoma
View attachment 303737
View attachment 303738

A modest house with a back 40 is probably going to run you 1.5-2MM in a lot of places these days.

Your looking in the wrong place.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back