20ga Federal Heavyweights - Mod Choke

1_pointer

Anyone have any experiences using the Federal Heavyweight turkey loads out of a modified choke? With baseball on hiatus, it looks like we may get out for the youth turkey season. My oldest would like to use "his" shotgun; an Ithaca 37 with a fixed modified choke barrel. Thinking of trying the shells in the subject, but if folks haven't been having good luck with that combo we might look elsewhere.

No, but the Federal lead loads, with the flight control wad pattern really well out of my 20 gauge, with a mod choke.

Neither the factory full or modified chokes shot worth a flip in any gun I've tried them in.

lol. I’ve had good luck with the Remington Super Full, IC 562, and IC 555.
Thanks. Gun in question has a fixed modified barrel. Plan B can use a Remington Super Full, so may go that way if Plan A doesn't pan out.

My 20 gauge stevens 555 was overchoked with the heavyweights at .555 and .568, mod is much more open than those but may have a chance to work.

I haven't used those, but the #9 TSS out of a 20 gauge are pretty incredible.

I absolutely second this. I watched my wife's gobbler last spring get hit with TSS #9s @ 35yds and it looked like it got the rug taken out from under it. It never even flapped a wing after hitting the ground.

1586548601182.png

I absolutely second this. I watched my wife's gobbler last spring get hit with TSS #9s @ 35yds and it looked like it got the rug taken out from under it. It never even flapped a wing after hitting the ground.

View attachment 135454

'Twould love to give that a try, but in IN we can't use anything smaller #7.5

Legal Equipment

Turkeys can be hunted only with:

• A 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge shotgun loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Nontoxic shot is required while hunting turkey on some DNR properties. Call the property for additional information.
  • A muzzleloading shotgun not smaller than 20-gauge and not larger than 10-gauge, loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Combination loads using shot sizes other than these are illegal.
  • Bow and arrow
  • A crossbow

Though I have never tried the heavy weight #7’s in a modified choke 20, we have a 20 with a Tru-lock PHHU20571 in it, works extremely well. Those federal heavyweights with the flight control wad are awesome.

Pattern the thing and see how it shoots, it might surprise you. At least you’ll know how close the birds need to be. I can certainly appreciate a man wanting to use his own shotgun

Also check out apex and nitro, they have some 20 gauge options too.

As a general rule, steel shot will pattern tighter than lead of the same size (and you will have a few more pellets in the cartridge if they are the same total weight of shot). The downside of steel is range has to be shorter than other non-toxics or lead.

I hope you get the Ithaca shooting well and can find a great tom (or two!) to bring home.

He pulled the shot a bit, but the pattern density looks good enough at 25yds to me. Might not let him stretch it too much further. Now to find some birds!
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back