Caribou Gear

Upgrading my shotgun

People have the habit of liking and recommending the guns they use, of course if they like them only. Guy get's an 870 for his first shotgun and use's it the next ten years and never handles another gun and ask him to recommend something and it's probably gonna be an 870! problem with recomendations is few people have used enough different brand's of anything really enough to say which is better. I see $500 O/U's got bashed but I saw a new one in a Bi mart that looked pretty nice to me. if I was into O/U's I'd try one. My 20ga CZ SxS cost me under $500 new and my latest CZ 28ga Bob White cost me $300 with ten box's of ammo and looks new. It not a Purdey but it didn't cost $100K either! I'm not so sure there's a gun on the market I'd call junk, why in the world would any name brand gun maker market a piece of junk. But there are certainly different brands and some I like better than other's but that does not make the other's junk! You want to know what to get? Go looking for what you can find local so you can pick it up and handle it a bit and get the one you like. Could be you'll have a problem here and there and most reputaable companys will take care of it for you. You don't make a living selling products by running off your customer's. Stick to older established brands early on and trade up as you gain experience. Now and then you will maybe get burned, no guarantee you won't get a bad one but get it from a company that has a reputation for taaking care of customer's. Would not phase me to buy a new Remington pump, I just wouldn't go for their inexpensive model's. Samr with any other company. Look for something you like and give it a shot! The only one that has to like what you get is you!

As for $500 O/U's it may be true you won't get much for $500 but, saw, I think it was a, Stevens O/U some time back brand new for just under $500 and if I was into O/U's I'd have bought it. My experience with Steven's is an old 12ga SxS I had years ago. heavy but indistructable! I'm sure Stevens is like Purdy. Now and then a bad one get's out! Steven's has been around a long time, there's a reason for that!
Don, you're still living in the past. Most of the cheap O/Us marketed by the old American brands aren't made by them. Imported from overseas, usually Turkey. And almost entirely junk! Manufacturers today are concerned about little else than bottom line for sales and, more importantly, marketing. Get some clown with a TV hunting show to use the crap and people will buy it. Or set up a booth at SHOT Show. If you don't think gun makers make junk, go pick up a Stoeger pump or Remington's low end pump. Two years ago I looked at a Rem 887 in Grand Forks Scheels on my way to Montana. The sales clerk came over and asked what I thought. "I think I need a shower to wash off the crap." Good guns, like good cars, have become too expensive. Unlike cars, it's impossible to get a bank loan for a gun that's out of the financial reach for a working man. So he buys what he can afford. And he buys into the image he sees on the TV shows ... like every upland hunter must shoot an O/U, smoke cigars, and sip bourbon. So he buys a cheap O/U, smokes cheap cigars, and drinks rotgut booze with a catchy name and label. Just to look the part. That's why brand new junk guns sell today. Quality and support just doesn't matter. Gun makers are selling to a captive audience. What choice does a college student have who wants to go to the club with an O/U slung over his shoulder like all the hotshots (or wannabe hotshots). A $500 model looks good ... until it craps out.

Sorry Ontariohunter, it was NOT an Express I had all the problems with. It was a 20 ga Wingmaster. The next was a 12 ga Wingmaster. Probably mid 80s vintage on the 20 and 70s vintage on the 12. The one my uncle had was before the Express models came out so that was a wingmaster as well.

On a side note, I have owned 2 Honda motors in my life and both gave up the fight really quickly! Bad luck I guess as I take care of my stuff pretty well.

People have the habit of liking and recommending the guns they use, of course if they like them only. Guy get's an 870 for his first shotgun and use's it the next ten years and never handles another gun and ask him to recommend something and it's probably gonna be an 870! problem with recomendations is few people have used enough different brand's of anything really enough to say which is better. I see $500 O/U's got bashed but I saw a new one in a Bi mart that looked pretty nice to me. if I was into O/U's I'd try one. My 20ga CZ SxS cost me under $500 new and my latest CZ 28ga Bob White cost me $300 with ten box's of ammo and looks new. It not a Purdey but it didn't cost $100K either! I'm not so sure there's a gun on the market I'd call junk, why in the world would any name brand gun maker market a piece of junk. But there are certainly different brands and some I like better than other's but that does not make the other's junk! You want to know what to get? Go looking for what you can find local so you can pick it up and handle it a bit and get the one you like. Could be you'll have a problem here and there and most reputaable companys will take care of it for you. You don't make a living selling products by running off your customer's. Stick to older established brands early on and trade up as you gain experience. Now and then you will maybe get burned, no guarantee you won't get a bad one but get it from a company that has a reputation for taaking care of customer's. Would not phase me to buy a new Remington pump, I just wouldn't go for their inexpensive model's. Samr with any other company. Look for something you like and give it a shot! The only one that has to like what you get is you!

As for $500 O/U's it may be true you won't get much for $500 but, saw, I think it was a, Stevens O/U some time back brand new for just under $500 and if I was into O/U's I'd have bought it. My experience with Steven's is an old 12ga SxS I had years ago. heavy but indistructable! I'm sure Stevens is like Purdy. Now and then a bad one get's out! Steven's has been around a long time, there's a reason for that!
I haven’t seen an OU in any of the bimarts near me. Cabelas is the only place I’ve seen any in my price range. I am a little hesitant to put money into these new Turkish made guns, solely because most of these brands I’ve never heard of before. I did see bimart is having a sale on their stevens pumps for $200. I hadn’t really considered them, as I’m not a fan of the black & synthetic look, but I suppose it couldn’t hurt to go give it a look over.

There may be some truth to that. I’ve only shot Benelli, Franchi, Mossbergs, Winchester, and Remington. Even so, I still prefer an 1100, 11-87, or 870 to any of the other ones I’ve shot.
You have something to compare them to!

Yet another post that shows we could be friends! I have a handful of 870’s that are all set up differently. I still mainly grab the same worn-in express that I shoot better than the rest.
Ha! I have an old youth model 870 express 20 ga that I use for turkeys. I bought it private party for $80 over 15 years ago. It's not pretty but the actions like glass after lots of use. It's death on turkeys!

Ha! I have an old youth model 870 express 20 ga that I use for turkeys. I bought it private party for $80 over 15 years ago. It's not pretty but the actions like glass after lots of use. It's death on turkeys!
Yep! My old Express has a very smooth action and a noticeable patch on the buttstock that is smoother than the rest of the wood, as it has been worn smooth against my beard for years.

I don’t understand why nobody talks fit. On a budget get a 3 inch pump ( 3.5 inch is over rated and too much recoil) Go to a place like Scheels that has several brands and shoulder them all, and you decide. Shoulder them with your eyes closed and open your eyes are you looking straight down the barrel. Check if you like the safety location. You decide, many brands are very reliable. I know tons of people who had problems with the 870 express. If you are going with the 870 get a wingmaster. Good luck and good hunting.

Thank you all for your input on this. After doing a little more googling and shopping around, I ended up getting a Mossberg 500 28” & 18.5” combo from bimart for $385.

So far, I’m pretty pleased with it. I took it, and my NEF single shot, out to shoot a few rounds of trap this afternoon. Shot 13/25 with the NEF, and 19/25 with the 500. First time shooting trap, too! I went to try out my new gun, and brush up for upland season, but I’m thinking imma have to go back and do that again.

I haven’t seen an OU in any of the bimarts near me. Cabelas is the only place I’ve seen any in my price range. I am a little hesitant to put money into these new Turkish made guns, solely because most of these brands I’ve never heard of before. I did see bimart is having a sale on their stevens pumps for $200. I hadn’t really considered them, as I’m not a fan of the black & synthetic look, but I suppose it couldn’t hurt to go give it a look over.
If I recall right the Bi Mart O/U was a Stevens. It was a pretty nice looking gun but an O/U and I don't do well with them. I did have at one time a Savage O/U in 20ga that was a nice gun. I screwed it up and then waithingto get it fixed it got stolen!

Pump action would be the most universal gun you can have. I just happened to buy a benelli nova. 8 lb gun is the only issue but it’s a very smooth action. My dad got a Remington. He just shot it on 2 3/4” shells and said the recoil is rough.

Right! A $500 O/U is a headache waiting to happen. Tristar, Hatsan, Mossberg (also made in Turkey), etc. Just junk. I've seen them all come and go at the trap club. One young fella is on his third set of firing pins for crappy Mossberg. He finally bought a used $1,700 (Canadian money) Browning and is now shooting the lights out with it. If you want an O/U that will last, you'll have to pay for it.
I have a Mossberg O/U that was my favorite grouse gun until it started firing both barrels at once. I discovered it’s not an uncommon problem with them.

Someday I’ll upgrade my old 870 to an beretta a400 or 350. But it’s tough the old 870 is an extension of my arm and I shoot amazing with it

Someday I’ll upgrade my old 870 to an beretta a400 or 350. But it’s tough the old 870 is an extension of my arm and I shoot amazing with it
They are one of the best pointing guns ever made. I'd still be shooting mine but my retinas couldn't take it any longer. If you decide to go with a Beretta, I'd advise synthetic. The wood in the fore ends is very thin and prone to cracking.

They are one of the best pointing guns ever made. I'd still be shooting mine but my retinas couldn't take it any longer. If you decide to go with a Beretta, I'd advise synthetic. The wood in the fore ends is very thin and prone to cracking.
What’s the best pointing one the beretta or the old 870?

Hello, looking for some guidance (not necessarily recommendations on models) on upgrading my shotgun.

I’m new to hunting, 2021 being the first year I really have put effort into it. I mostly focused on deer hunting here in Oregon, but I noticed I kept flushing grouse while deer hunting, so I attempted a little of that too. I never did get to take a shot at either one. This year I’m setting my intentions on hunting dove, turkey (already had my spring tag soup), upland, and am considering waterfowl too. Basically whatever habitat I can get access to. So, I’ve been thinking about swapping out my shotgun for something more versatile.

What I have: NEF pardner single shot 20ga, 3” chamber, 25.5” barrel fixed MOD choke.
Pros:
very light and maneuverable, points naturally, and it’s easy on the eyes IMO.
Break action w/ exposed hammer, very little to malfunction and inherent safety in the design.

Cons:
Only one shot, and relatively slow reload.
Fixed choke.
Company is out of business so no/little customer support or replacement parts if needed.
20ga is slightly limiting (so I hear) for waterfowl.

I’m considering either an OU or a pump, most likely in 12ga. I like the break action, so the OU is appealing to me from that aspect, the fact that it will be a tad shorter overall than a pump is also nice. With a pump, there’s the option of interchangeable barrels, opening up different lengths, or rifled barrels which opens some possibilities.
Part of me is also thinking to just hold onto the pardner and see if it’s shortcomings actually cost me any birds this year before I hurry off to replace it.

So, give’m all this info, let’s open this can of worms. Give me your thoughts!
pump action...having a pump is a neccesity in life tbqh

Did you ever drive up to Alsea and work your way back to Eugene on the logging roads?

Back