Upgrading my shotgun

FairWeather

Hello, looking for some guidance (not necessarily recommendations on models) on upgrading my shotgun.

I’m new to hunting, 2021 being the first year I really have put effort into it. I mostly focused on deer hunting here in Oregon, but I noticed I kept flushing grouse while deer hunting, so I attempted a little of that too. I never did get to take a shot at either one. This year I’m setting my intentions on hunting dove, turkey (already had my spring tag soup), upland, and am considering waterfowl too. Basically whatever habitat I can get access to. So, I’ve been thinking about swapping out my shotgun for something more versatile.

What I have: NEF pardner single shot 20ga, 3” chamber, 25.5” barrel fixed MOD choke.
Pros:
very light and maneuverable, points naturally, and it’s easy on the eyes IMO.
Break action w/ exposed hammer, very little to malfunction and inherent safety in the design.

Cons:
Only one shot, and relatively slow reload.
Fixed choke.
Company is out of business so no/little customer support or replacement parts if needed.
20ga is slightly limiting (so I hear) for waterfowl.

I’m considering either an OU or a pump, most likely in 12ga. I like the break action, so the OU is appealing to me from that aspect, the fact that it will be a tad shorter overall than a pump is also nice. With a pump, there’s the option of interchangeable barrels, opening up different lengths, or rifled barrels which opens some possibilities.
Part of me is also thinking to just hold onto the pardner and see if it’s shortcomings actually cost me any birds this year before I hurry off to replace it.

So, give’m all this info, let’s open this can of worms. Give me your thoughts!

Another vote for an 870, just hard to beat.

If you do elect to go semi auto save up and buy something worthwhile. My recommendation would be a Benelli m2, they just work. I’ve made it my whole hunting career without 3.5’s and won’t start now lol

My gunsmith told he surprisingly he would get to repair more of those H&R single shots than he ever imagined.

I’m an 870 fan. Buy an older Wingmaster, then go forth and shoot things.

Vote for 870 also go super mag, never know when you're going to want to shoot 3.5" shells, like for goose

The older 870s were bombproof; the newer ones, maybe not so much. Benelli is sound.

My advice, is look for an older SXS or O/U and be one and done. Same action length as your single shot. I went from a pre-war Stevens single shot to Miroku S x S and it was very natural. Ended up with Berettas, but that's because I was a DU sponsor and they knew when to refill my wine glass.

870's last forever and can take a beating same as a benelli nova, I've also had great luck with my stoeger m3020 if ya go semi auto.

I had an 870 when I started and that gun never failed me. That said, I would buy an O/U with multiple chokes. The bonus is you can go sporting clay shooting and not feel like you are bush league.

Break action is much more convenient for grouse. At least the way I hunt - I’ll hunt a cover then hop in the truck and drive a few miles to another cover. It’s easier to pop two shells out of an O/U than rack through rounds out of a pump. Also… you can shoot ducks and turkey out of an O/U as well!

Spend less on a shotgun and more on a dog and you’ll come out ahead!

An 870 will do just fine ... just as long as it is NOT an express model. You will want the third shot for waterfowl. Save the money you'd spend for expensive O/U and put it towards a hunting dog, preferably Lab. Don't bother with 3.5" mag, especially for fixed breech shotgun. You don't need the extra pain and expense. 3" mag is just fine for geese. And finally, the 870 shotgun is perhaps the best pointing assembly line shotgun ever made. It just seems to fit everyone. And fit is paramount.

Equipping an O/U with a sling can be troublesome. I definitely wouldn't be without a sling if stalking deer. Turkey hunting can also require both hands when hiking in with equipment. I have my upland auto shotgun equipped with detachable sling that spends most of the day in my game bag. For the long walk out, the sling is snapped on. It frees up my arms to swing in stride and save energy, or I can put my hands in my pockets when weather is cold.

Adding a sling to a pump or auto, in the unlikely event it doesn't come already equipped, is very easy. A number of outfits make aftermarket magazine caps equipped with sling swivels. Putting a swivel on the butt end requires only a drill and screwdriver.

I can tell you that I've got 4 really nice shotguns that average about $1700 each. I've also got an old 870 express. Guess which one I shoot better with and has never let me down. Waterfowl hunt probably 25 to 30 days per year. I doubt I'll even hunt with the benellis this year.

Last edited:
Back