MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifle/Shotgun Combo Suggestions?

Joe Hulburt

Now that my elk and deer tags are filled I've been out hiking around a lot looking for Grouse. It's just a matter of time before I run into a cougar while packing the shotgun and I would hate to miss the chance to remove one from the population so I was thinking about a double barrel shotgun/.223 or 30-30 to use instead of my Winchester pump. I usually pack some slugs but confidence is low unless it's a close shot with them.

What do you guys have that you like or dislike?

Only gun like that I’m aware of is the old Savage Model 24.

Good luck in your search

The only affordable option that I know of is the Chiappa double badger. They make a 243/410, but it seems like it’s always on back order. Doubt you’d be able to secure one for this season.

I’ve been wanting something to carry around while deer hunting for taking grouse. I’ve been really considering picking up a taurus judge or a Rossi brawler. Being 45lc/410, you could just swap the round real fast and take that cat provided you had that kind of time to set up.

Plenty of drillings out there. Just beware that most are European in origin and are 16ga side by sides over an often obscure or uncommon Euro caliber. The problem with such affairs is the sights. They are fine for birds with just a rail or bead but that isn't great for big game. Put on leaf sights or a scope and they are fine for game but not birds.

Why not carry a revolver for the chance lion encounter?

Plenty of drillings out there. Just beware that most are European in origin and are 16ga side by sides over an often obscure or uncommon Euro caliber. The problem with such affairs is the sights. They are fine for birds with just a rail or bead but that isn't great for big game. Put on leaf sights or a scope and they are fine for game but not birds.

Why not carry a revolver for the chance lion encounter?

I have two drillings. Neither are scoped and both are easy to shoot out to 150 yards with the supplied rifle sights. The Sauer sidelock has a flip up iron sight mid-rib that works with the front sight, which is also spot on for both bbls of the shotgun.

The little boxlock has a tang lever you push to raise the middle rifle sight and activate the rifle bbl for the front trigger. I'd have zero issues taking both into the field on a mixed bag hunt, personally.

Here's what you need, @Joe Hulburt:

Ok. The most shocking thing in this thread is that Ben has a drilling

To help, I’ve got a 222/20 gauge that I carry around pretending to look for small game. I’m of the opinion it’s great as a short range rifle, wit open sights, and not all that fantastic as a shotgun. Doesn’t swing all that well.

The Savage 24 is the most common and economical, Tikka, Heym, an others made combination/cape guns as well. Or you could go with a drilling- double shotgun over a rifle barrel.

Ok. The most shocking thing in this thread is that Ben has a drilling

To help, I’ve got a 222/20 gauge that I carry around pretending to look for small game. I’m of the opinion it’s great as a short range rifle, wit open sights, and not all that fantastic as a shotgun. Doesn’t swing all that well.
Ben has outstanding taste in firearms, why wouldn't he have a drilling?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back