18" shotgun for duck hunting from a kayak?

DoveEater

Hello, I want to try duck hunting from a sit-in kayak this upcoming waterfowl season, and I'm wondering if that is a worthwhile excuse to buy another gun, something like a Winchester SXP Marine Defender pump with the stainless steel 18" barrel.

On the one hand, the shorter barreled gun would be easier to pull in and out of the boat, and maneuver around with. On the other hand, probably would be less accurate. have a faster opening pattern, and shoot with a little less velocity/power with the shorter barrel.

Other choice would be to use a shotgun I already have with a 28" barrel, so about ten inches longer.

Anyone know if the greater convenience of the shorter barrel outweighs the disadvantages, especially from a kayak/small boat?

Is a regular steel shotgun barrel going to be fine as long as I clean/dry/lightly oil it after every kayak trip? Or is the stainless steel much better?

I hunt out of a sit in kayak. I shoot a benelli M2 with a 28 inch barrel. Rest the gun on the lip of the cockpit (I don't know the correct term) in front of you. The but of the gun is on the floor right at the edge of your seat.

The short barrel brings no advantages only disadvantages.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back