Choke recommendations for a 20ga turkey gun with tungsten

chav0_12

So, I’ve bought a Winchester SXP Turkey in 20ga, it comes it a factory “turkey choke” I’m assuming is extra-full thought I can’t find any actually numbers on it anywhere. I’ll give it a try but at the end of the day I’ll probably want a “better” custom choke from one of the fancy choke manufacturers. I have a couple Patternmaster Code Black Turkey tubes for my 12ga’s, seems like it’d be easy enough to start there but $100 is an expensive experiment. I’m try to see if anyone has any hard data on good vs great or good vs bad tubes for #7s thru #9s in the tungsten. I’m looking at trying shell from Apex, Boss, Federal, Browning and whatever other tungsten stuff I can find. I bought this shotgun so I could take my step-daughter hunting, that’s the story I’m telling the wife anyway, I didn’t have a 20ga and kinda wanted one.
So any information or advice on choke tubes and constrictions for a 20ga? There’s a ton of information out there but I’m not too brushed up on everything shotgun and the dynamic of what makes one choke or constriction better for one thing over another.

Carlson's Choke Tubes Extended Turkey Choke Tube is all you need. Shouldn't cost you more than $50. Feel free to get the TSS version if you want but I don't think it's necessary.

Anything from a .555(tight) to .572(more open) constriction should throw a nice pattern. Doesn’t have to be a high dollar choke.

I shoot a Remington Super Full in my 870 and 1187 with great results. That particular choke says “lead only”, but I’ve had no issues.

TSS with small pellets (7 and smaller) generally pattern well in any regular turkey choke. They’re harder than lead but the small shot size makes them flow through the choke fine.

If you’re shooting larger pellets, like #2 TSS for coyotes, then choke them as you would steel. Improved modified is as tight as I’ll go with big pellets of TSS.

The design of the choke doesn’t really matter for TSS vs lead. Use whatever you’d use for turkeys. Ported, non-ported, wad stop design, non-wad stop design, whatever. I guess with the caveat that if you’re shooting the Federal rear-braking flight stopper wad then make sure your choke works with that.

Indian Creek chokes are awesome if you want to spend the money. If you want to spend less then check out Trulock.

This is my 20ga at 40 yards with a Remington Super Full choke and #9s.

Attachments

• 9E6839FF-300B-45D2-AF2B-9887246B4458.jpeg
    9E6839FF-300B-45D2-AF2B-9887246B4458.jpeg
    922.3 KB · Views: 15
Since I'm paying the premium for TSS shot in my turkey shells, I sure wish we could use #9s here...

I run the HS strut HD undertaker in my 870 20ga and in my tri star 20. It does 320-340s in the 10" with my #9 handloads

Indiana? You can use as small as #10 TSS if you want. They just changed the law.

Guess it's good I complained! I didn't realize the rule had changed. I'll probably stick with the #7s until I burn through them. Which, if last year is the start of any trend will take a LONG time. I'm a piss poor turkey hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back