Caribou Gear Tarp

2023 Nevada Draw Results

Been hunting NV for 36 yrs. Had some great hunts, some successful and some not. Drew a great elk tag and didn’t find a bull I wanted to harvest last year. Sitting on 19 desert sheep points and 8 antelope points right now. Hopefully my grandson draws some tags

Does Nevada have a lifetime resident license that is valid of a person moves out of Nevada?

I bought the last LL sold for Illinois back in August 2006. They got rid of them due to the 85% fraudulent applications. Best $190 investment I ever made in my life, especially after moving to Indiana in 2019. Garbage public here. Don't even waste my time. I think LL's valid once a guy moves out of state are a rare commodity anywhere any more. Pretty much a byproduct of the liberal entitlement attitude infecting society today. As evidenced by rampant outfitter welfare. Sobering when the CO told me I was in the rare 15% of valid LL applications.

Last edited:
So I just did a little math and a little research...I think this is a great question.

It isn't perfect science or math, but it is close between Idaho and Nevada...with the edge over time going to Nevada in my opinion.

So, if my math is correct, it takes 13 independent 5% drawings to have a 50% chance at drawing once over that time period. This is the Idaho model because residents can find some hunts in the 5% draw odds range.

Right now, if you're a resident in NV and have 13 points, there are several units with slightly over 50% odds.

Again, not perfect math because they have different application models, but somewhat similar. Obviously working up the points in NV your odds get better depending on where you are and where you started.

Definitely the edge is with NV if you started 13 years ago. If you start today, it is tougher to know.

Interesting thought.

Alaska, however, wins when it comes to getting a resident ram tag.
Do you know which state has the better trophy potential? I've only ever applied for elk and deer in Idaho.

Do you know which state has the better trophy potential? I've only ever applied for elk and deer in Idaho.
If you're an NV resident, you have it pretty dang good for sheep.

ID NR sheep is pretty tough unless you're already buying the license.

Trophy potential is tough to tell because it is three different species and we are talking about worst units.

Probably Alaska wins.

An elk tag would be a dream in NV, as a non resi with 20 points, my odds are a little less than 4%. I am hoping I draw before I am 65, so maybe in another 20 years? There is always a chance though (I am hopeful every year). If I were starting out with zero points I likely would not put in though. With all the money that I will invest I likely could have had a pretty good time on a guided hunt in NM, or somewhere else.

So whats deal with NR MT Goat points. How many NRs have points already? I dont remember it being a option since i been applying but maybe was before and theres tons of guys with points.

So whats deal with NR MT Goat points. How many NRs have points already? I dont remember it being a option since i been applying but maybe was before and theres tons of guys with points.
There are lots of people with max points, which I think is 9?

This year NV re-opened mtn goat tags to NR applicants.🐐 I can't imagine what the astronomical odds would be for NR. I don't remember when the last time NR were allowed to apply for these.

Hey, I drew a very good tag earlier in AZ after a lot of points. Basically the only hunt I have time for this year.
Got busy at work and spaced Nevada for the first time ever.
-Do you keep previous points if you missed the draw?
-And my understanding of the new rule making is that returned NR tags will only go to NR and vice versa with Res tags?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You loose your bonus points if you don't apply for 2 consecutive years.
I'm a bit cloudy on whether returned NR tags stay with NR because my understanding was that FCFS was for residents only.
A phone call or email to NDOW would probably get that question answered.

You loose your bonus points if you don't apply for 2 consecutive years.
I'm a bit cloudy on whether returned NR tags stay with NR because my understanding was that FCFS was for residents only.
A phone call or email to NDOW would probably get that question answered.
Returned NR tags stay NR. Returned R tags stay R.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back