2023 Nevada Draw Results

Nevada has been good to me. I've been in for 15 years. My initial draw to NV was desert sheep. I probably won't draw in my lifetime, but it's worth it to me for a chance. I put in for other stuff since I had to get the license. I almost didn't put in for elk when I initially started because the tag fee seemed steep and I was not making much money teaching Head Start preschool. Glad I did, though.

I pulled a rifle antelope tag at 5 years, a late rifle deer tag that was returned by another hunter right before season at 10 years, and a late rifle elk tag on year 14.

I love NV. Vast, desolate and wild. I hope to go back soon.

Good luck to all.
Screenshot_20230510-232050-194.pngScreenshot_20230510-232258-045.png

Been in for 20 years or so. I always put in for everything since I buy a license. I have drew 4 deer tags and 2 antelope tags. Hopefully some day I'll draw a desert sheep tag, but who knows if that will ever happen :)

Been in for 19 years. so sitting on 18 elk, desert and Cali points. 11 deer and 10 lope and 9 mtn goat. Heck even have 4 ewe points…

Back in 2012:
Drew Deer just when started a new job and ate the tag.Foolishly fiddled around and missed the tag return period that would have preserved the points.

Drew archery antelope and had a tough and fun hunt in a supposedly great unit.

Been in for 15 years. Have 14 points for deer, 13 for antelope, 11 points for the rams, 6 for cow and 2 for bull elk.

Drew deer in 2012 with three points and turned it back in, got my elk in 2013 with 4 points and just got to start applying again a couple years ago.

Since I'm a NV resident it's a little different for me. The odds are still steep but not as bad as NR.
I've drawn 1 bull elk tag. 4 cow elk tags, 4 antelope buck tags, countless deer tags but still hoping to draw a desert bighorn and a mtn goat tag before I'm too darn decrepit to go after them,
This years bonus points
Antelope buck-6 points
Bighorn ram- 17 points
mtn goat -17 points
Bull elk- 9 points
Cow elk- 1 point
Buck deer- 4 points

Since I'm a NV resident it's a little different for me. The odds are still steep but not as bad as NR.
I've drawn 1 bull elk tag. 4 cow elk tags, 4 antelope buck tags, countless deer tags but still hoping to draw a desert bighorn and a mtn goat tag before I'm too darn decrepit to go after them,
This years bonus points
Antelope buck-6 points
Bighorn ram- 17 points
mtn goat -17 points
Bull elk- 9 points
Cow elk- 1 point
Buck deer- 4 points
A resident would be crazy not to apply!

This is my 10th year applying as a resident. I've drawn a tag every year across archery and and rifle hunts. Applied this year with:

Buck deer - 5 (party tag)
Bull elk - penalty box
HLTE pronghorn - 0 (just got out of waiting period)
HSTE pronghorn - 1
Cow elk - 4
Bear - 9
All sheep and mountain goat - 9
Bought points for DBH ewe and doe deer. Have some points for CBH ewe, but no option to buy points this year.

I'm not sure if I should be anticipating to drawn or be surprised to draw.

I'm not sure why some residents don't apply for everything. Best odds for a sheep tag in the lower 48!
Maybe not best odds but for sure most opportunities! With a resident being able to apply for CABH, DBH, RMBH and the single horn opportunities can’t beat that! Wish I was a resident

Maybe not best odds but for sure most opportunities! With a resident being able to apply for CABH, DBH, RMBH and the single horn opportunities can’t beat that! Wish I was a resident
Is there better resident odds for a "normal" sheep tag somewhere else? Excluding the unlimited hunts.

Idaho just came to mind.

Is there better resident odds for a "normal" sheep tag somewhere else? Excluding the unlimited hunts.

Idaho just came to mind.
I was going to say Idaho, Colorado and Alaska. Some may say Utah as a resident with the way they handle the apps and draw for them but I don’t know if I would go that far but without a doubt there are more states with worst odds as a resident of drawing a sheep tag then better when it comes to Nevada and the fact that they have more desert sheep tags then all the other states combined.

I was going to say Idaho, Colorado and Alaska
Forgot about CO. Being a NV resident is great, except if you want to hunt certain species every year you have to go out of state. OTC tags make you a better hunter though. We have plenty of bears to hunt next door in CA, but most Nevada hunters are lazy and not willing to put in the work.

Idaho just came to mind.
So I just did a little math and a little research...I think this is a great question.

It isn't perfect science or math, but it is close between Idaho and Nevada...with the edge over time going to Nevada in my opinion.

So, if my math is correct, it takes 13 independent 5% drawings to have a 50% chance at drawing once over that time period. This is the Idaho model because residents can find some hunts in the 5% draw odds range.

Right now, if you're a resident in NV and have 13 points, there are several units with slightly over 50% odds.

Again, not perfect math because they have different application models, but somewhat similar. Obviously working up the points in NV your odds get better depending on where you are and where you started.

Definitely the edge is with NV if you started 13 years ago. If you start today, it is tougher to know.

Interesting thought.

Alaska, however, wins when it comes to getting a resident ram tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back