CA 2023 draw results

Not as relates to abuse of wanna be no resident hunters. Colo will always be a haven for nonresident hunting opportunities as compared to Cali.
California does have one draw elk tag for nonresidents. One tag. That’s not nothing. Lol

What is a silver sheep?
It’s not an albino but it’s some sort of genetic mutation, over a mile out I couldn’t get a good pic. The first pic is a ram we passed, had some fun out there.

Attachments

• 62D7A4E7-B0DE-487B-9E92-75692CCC611F.jpeg
    62D7A4E7-B0DE-487B-9E92-75692CCC611F.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 22
  • CDFAB0A2-BA72-481F-AD7E-C731924C58C1.jpeg
    CDFAB0A2-BA72-481F-AD7E-C731924C58C1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
That’s rad, helped my buddy guide a hunter last year. Tough unit but we ended up getting it done. They also have silver sheep out there which was rad to glass up.
Yeah the white looking sheep are cool, there is a ram and a ewe but the ram is still very small. Crazy to see them almost like I’m back in Alaska when you see them.

What is a silver sheep?
in that unit as well as the Nevada side one once in a while you will find a ram that is white kinda like a dirty dall in color, there is a ewe that is white, I believe there has been two rams killed ever with that gene one in the California side and one on the Nevada side. It’s pretty cool.

Does anyone here know when the B zone tags sold out in 2023? I’m wondering if I should put a long shot unit for my first choice or if I should just put my B zone tag as first choice to be sure. Seems like B zone is getting closer and closer to selling out in the June draw

Does anyone here know when the B zone tags sold out in 2023? I’m wondering if I should put a long shot unit for my first choice or if I should just put my B zone tag as first choice to be sure. Seems like B zone is getting closer and closer to selling out in the June draw
I believe that B zone has become a "restricted zone" in the draw a few times. I do know that back in 2018 I had used B zone as my 2nd choice on my first tag and then had tried to just purchase a second B tag (as my second tag, which I always did in the past) but wasn't allowed to. Called DFG and they said it was restricted and the only way I could get a second B tag is if there were any left after the draw, which there were not. Ended up with an A tag as the #2 that year

Answers are in the big game digest.....not for 2023 yet, but you can look at 2020-2022 and get your answer.

I believe that B zone has become a "restricted zone" in the draw a few times. I do know that back in 2018 I had used B zone as my 2nd choice on my first tag and then had tried to just purchase a second B tag (as my second tag, which I always did in the past) but wasn't allowed to. Called DFG and they said it was restricted and the only way I could get a second B tag is if there were any left after the draw, which there were not. Ended up with an A tag as the #2 that year
Ok. California is a new set of rules and terminology. Much appreciated. Sounds like maybe I better make it my first second choice on my one and only tag

B tags typically sell out in August, they bump to restricted if they sell out prior to August 1st. If your first tag is a restricted tag, you can buy a second restricted tag after August 1. There are thousands of B tags available after the draw.

B tags typically sell out in August, they bump to restricted if they sell out prior to August 1st. If your first tag is a restricted tag, you can buy a second restricted tag after August 1. There are thousands of B tags available after the draw.
Exactly! Getting to know which units are Premium, Restricted, and Unrestricted is a must. Plus if you archery hunt you can add an AO tag into the mix to further complicate things. Plus the state does its own bit of smoke and mirrors (like basing "hunter success" off of estimates rather than report data so they can manipulate their "objective" numbers). Anyway, in the total of the B zones you're typically looking at about 35,000 tags to slice and dice through OTC and the draws. You're always gonna get one, the second can be a timing issue.

I'm old now, its sad the way the Big B has gone so far downhill from my early years. Mendocino County alone used to nearly harvest more bucks than are taken in all the six B-Zones combined these days.

BTW, @jryoung didn't you do a Youtube vid awhile back for BHA that dealt with understanding the Cali draw? (Might have been another jryoung) if so maybe you can link it up for those interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back