Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2023 Colorado Sheep & Goat Results

i don't apply for wyoming msg for the same reason i don't apply for anything at all in 47 other states: i can't afford it, so i allocate my money accordingly. i still don't understand how that is construed as whining.
Same. I chose to build points in UT, MT, and CO not because they had better odds or but because they are cheap. Anything under 2% odds is less than once in a lifetime so it’s just a lottery ticket and UT/MT/CO is a cheaper ticket.

Would rather buy sheep scratchers and support Oak and RMBS than drop money into the WY system.

At nearly 80 I can look back and be very appreciative of 1) a very different era and 2) putting in for lots of limited hunts back when it was feasible to draw. 4 bighorn ram permits (Colorado, Idaho, Wy, MT), a bison (UT), 6 moose (UT, WY, ID, 3 MT) , 4 goats (CO, ID, 2 MT), plus multiple elk and deer. I was the only applicant for 10 archery goat permits offered one year (about 1962) in Idaho, which even went to over the counter archery for a few years. When I was 18 or so (1961?), bighorn in the Middle FK of the Salmon were over the counter also and we backpacked in one year but were snowed out. All of the critters I were able to harvest were with a bow but most were not archery only. Now there are just more people with desire Bighorn Ram with Greg.jpgand the same number or less of animals. Social media and the record books haven't helped IMO. Not sure whether I would try now that the odds are so incredibly difficult unless I had a secret wad of cash as the $$$ for points just keeps going up, and the odds go down. Fortunate now bird hunting doesn't require points and I enjoy hunting whitetail does.

Last edited:
It doesn't. The fact that folks from CO don't know why Wyo shits on them so much, is the reason we shit on them so much.

i'd expect better from you.

having a budget and having to allocate it accordingly is not whining. i just apply in the handful of places that fit my budget and priorities. wyo MSG definitely does not fit with that budget and those priorities. weird how randy said the same thing about colorado MSG and i didn't get all pissy over it. it's a bad look on you guys. i'd at least expect somethign so asinine from buzz, but not you.

if that's whining than i guess i'm guilty. i'd challenge you to go find where i complained about anything though in the other thread.

having a budget and having to allocate it accordingly is not whining. i just apply in the handful of places that fit my budget and priorities. wyo MSG definitely does not fit with that budget and those priorities. weird how randy said the same thing about colorado MSG and i didn't get all pissy over it. it's a bad look on you guys. i'd at least expect somethign so asinine from buzz, but not you.

if that's whining than i guess i'm guilty. i'd challenge you to go find where i complained about anything though in the other thread.
Randy's advice was just as bad if you want a sheep, goat, or moose in the lower-48...the only odds that matter are the odds if you don't apply.

You shouldn't. I was born an A-hole and just grew bigger.

Just one sensitive, lonely Wyo res responding to a whiney CO res.

Lighten up and take a deep breath.

3+5 for goat. Quit getting weighted points when they started charging $50 for residents because weighted points don't up your odds all that much and I got a goat back in '96 when I lived in MT. I'm in RM bighorn time out but I'm sure I'll draw my DBH tag this year. 😜

Randy's advice was just as bad if you want a sheep, goat, or moose in the lower-48...the only odds that matter are the odds if you don't apply.

sure, i want to hunt MSG, but it's not more important than hunting more now. so, i'd rather throw my money at wyoming cow elk applications all day long than burn it on NR MSG apps. on a limited budget, that will put me outside hunting more often and put more meat in my freezer.

if my budget grows i'll change my approach. the cow elk hunting is too good up there. gotta get it while the gettins good.

3+18 sheep and 3+11 goat for me
given that I've been trying to draw relatively "easy to draw" tags the whole time you could say my luck is bad...
I have zero expectations of drawing either or for that matter a single one of the multitude of tags I applied for this year.

3+ 9 for goat and 3+ 4 sheep for me. At one point I decided that applying for moose in Colorado was pointless and now with where everything is at I think it would be near the top of the list on lower 48 moose tags that would actually be possible to draw if I had started building points for them when I did for goat. I'm behind on sheep because I rolled the dice for a few years on the Desert tag. Not planning on growing those sheep points much, will most likely just keep hoping for a lightning strike.

Sheep had 36k+ applicants, 330ish tags a year, 40-50 year window for sheep hunters physically.... 2/3 of us will die with sheep points, likely more with people jumping back into the pool... Fact.

I'm 32 years in... I'll apply as many places as I can in the hope of drawing 1...

Yup. That and some others.

At my core I'm a tightwad accountant who does a budget and analysis of every application dollar I spend. Some folks think I just apply for anything and everything. Nope.

Lots of states/species are missing from my application calendar/budget. There are some states/species will never drop off my calendar so long as I can tie my boots by myself.

I'm pretty sure I will get a call from RMBS in May to let me know this is the year I drew the statewide sheep tag.
Wouldn’t normally dare tell Randy he’s wrong about something hunting related… BUT that RMBS sheep tag is mine 😂

Sheep had 36k+ applicants, 330ish tags a year, 40-50 year window for sheep hunters physically.... 2/3 of us will die with sheep points, likely more with people jumping back into the pool... Fact.

I'm 32 years in... I'll apply as many places as I can in the hope of drawing 1...
Best advice on this thread, keep applying, only way to win...I've drawn 2 and I think I'll draw another 1 or 2.

I got lucky with a Colorado sheep tag 10 years ago> Maybe 2023 will be the year of the moose or goat for me.

it's fun to look at the folks in your bracket who did draw

at 3+2 for residents it was 14/1180 for sheep and 14/958 for goat.

those odds don't predictably mean anything at all, but it keeps a small glimmer in the eye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back