Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

Wow..... what a thread. Probably in the talkie award category for 22 i reckon.

We got everything from Buttering honey holes to Pounding Honey holes to Montana meth billboards. No one has even said that they want to put the gloves on yet though so that's a disappointment

We got everything from Buttering honey holes to Pounding Honey holes to Montana meth billboards. No one has even said that they want to put the gloves on yet though so that's a disappointment

Give it time. There isn’t enough cell service to check this thread out there. It’s only been dark for an hour and it takes time to drive home.

Just post a pic of a bull in a stubble field, seems to escalate things fast 😂

I’ll try to have a serious conversation.

@Greenhorn is this something new/more common in recent (10-15) years? I’m genuinely curious after reading your other posts towards @shrapnel and based on what I’ve read on here this seems to be something that’s been occurring since at least the 90’s? I’ve only been here 7 years, can’t really say I’ve seen a big change in elk hunting during that time span. I never knew of hunting this way until ~2017 when I was driving out of the mountains on the back side of Canyon Ferry and saw a line of trucks surrounding a piece of state land (see photo below for BURNT spot).

Do you think this would have been “ok” say 30 years ago when the population was much lower and say only a couple rigs went down there?

Based on what I’ve seen it’s more a combination of things that makes me not want to partake, but maybe 30+ years ago that road didn’t have as many rigs driving on it or near as many people hunting that spot which would have made it a bit more intriguing (not shooting from road or truck but actually parking and hunting).

Attachments

• C6F02153-0373-45AD-A2BF-39C49608E65E.png
    C6F02153-0373-45AD-A2BF-39C49608E65E.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Video in the original post seems pretty reasonable given the herding, chasing with trucks, flock shooting circuses that go on.

Like a lot of things hunting it depends on a lot of factors.

Is this is a bunch of beered up 30 somethings or a 60 something guy with health issues?

I've seen this done in a disgusting fashion by speeding trucks and volley fire. At the same time I remember helping old man take pictures of and load a bull moose that was barely a platerhorn. He waited and shot it just off the road. He passed up a couple bruiser bulls but knew he couldn't get them out. He waited to draw that tag for over 30 years. He was so happy he was crying. Circumstances can definitely change how you see things.

A jeep rubicon flew past me on a BLM road a few years ago to chase down a herd and passenger was blasting out the window and two more started flock shooting at the herd when the jeep came to a stop. Would guess the trio around 60 and in rough shape physically. Awestruck at what we just witnessed, the lady of the trio came over to us basically in tears of joy over the 1 cow they saw down and went on about how hard they have worked the last few weeks and how much this elk meant to them.. elk were on private when they started shooting.

We reported them and the warden tracked them down. Not sure what came of it but I’d sure lose my faith in hunters if I were that warden in November..

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back