Yeti GOBOX Collection

2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

I'll go Saturday morning and report # of trucks. I'll guess 6 crew cab trucks. Likely Silverados with a raptor or two mixed in.

Or all tundras with some sort of rack or tent on the bed.

Video in the original post seems pretty reasonable given the herding, chasing with trucks, flock shooting circuses that go on.

A jeep rubicon flew past me on a BLM road a few years ago to chase down a herd and passenger was blasting out the window and two more started flock shooting at a herd when the hero came to a stop. Would guess the trio around 60 and in rough shape physically. Awestruck at what we just witnessed, the lady of the trio came over to us basically in tears of joy over the 1 cow they saw down and went on about how hard they have worked the last few weeks and how much this elk meant to them.. elk were on private when they started shooting.

We reported them and the warden tracked them down. Not sure what came of it but I’d sure lose my faith in hunters if I were that warden in November..

Like I said I've seen good and bad. I didn't see the original video. Just the parked trucks and some guy slowly walking and stopping frequently.

I've seen a lot of jack wagons doing just what you described. I have little respect for that. The moose hunter I'd talked about would just put down the road real slow. When he saw a bull he'd hang out nearby and see if he wandered closer. I ran into him a few times on my way out or back from hunting. Sometimes he'd just sit in his pickup in one spot ALL DAY because moose tended to cross there. For what he was doing he was pretty polite to the rest of us hunting around him. Just doing what he could do. I'd rather the old guys get out and do something they love than give up and rot in a lazy boy.

It's not just shooting elk from the road. People are using every single little chunk of public land near Bozeman for any and every type of debauchery you can dream up. Burning pallets, dumping couches & appliances, building mountain biking trails & jumps, leaving garbage and dog crap everywhere, driving all over the place...

I sound like a grumpy bastard but it's just not the same place these days

Worthy of it's own thread. Every time I've driven by this year, and in recent years, there's orange clad dude sitting in trucks and laying in wait for a swarm to step into one of the small pieces of state that touches the road. When it happens, engines rev, a race ensues, trucks are abandoned idling, doors open, as guys bail out to light them up.

Or, guys on the neighboring properties shoot them up and run them through like what happened on this day. Filmed by a good fiend who was on the way home from taking his son hunting elsewhere.

Thoughts? :D

Keep it civil gents. This could be somebody's life-long dream of taking an elk on the mountain with family and friends, and filling their freezers. I'd hate for there to be hurt feelings about this process.

I just had to post somewhere. I'm a lifelong elk hunter. I live on Green Mountain in western Lakewood, Colorado. I just saw the biggest bull elk of my life cross Alameda Blvd at 10 pm. It had 8 to 9 points on one side, and 8-9 points on the other. I pointed my brights at it. It turned and stood broadside in front of my Jeep for a whole minute. I've seen probably 10,000 bulls in my life. I've never seen anything like this.

I just had to post somewhere. I'm a lifelong elk hunter. I live on Green Mountain in western Lakewood, Colorado. I just saw the biggest bull elk of my life cross Alameda Blvd at 10 pm. It had 8 to 9 points on one side, and 8-9 points on the other. I pointed my brights at it. It turned and stood broadside in front of my Jeep for a whole minute. I've seen probably 10,000 bulls in my life. I've never seen anything like this.
Wait a minute… Where you goin’ with this? Did @ELKdeerMT ’s third cousin Billy blast it?

Good as dead now.

So no OnX screenshot or...?

I watched a similar bull cross I70 just before the C470 exit… guy on a bike doing ~110mph came flying up the left lane and got impaled on his rack.

Most gruesome accident I’ve seen.

I watched a similar bull cross I70 just before the C470 exit… guy on a bike doing ~110mph came flying up the left lane and got impaled on his rack.

Most gruesome accident I’ve seen.
I know the whole infinite universes infinite possibilities thing probably ties in here somehow but that is a pretty unique way to die.

On a similar note, if we're just going full carnage, last season I watched a guy fall out of a pickup bed onto a pile of dead bucks and one of the buck's G2s pierced his arm kinda between the tricep and the bone and went all the way out the other side like a damn porcupine quill. GROSS.

Back