2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

I’ll try to have a serious conversation.

@Greenhorn is this something new/more common in recent (10-15) years? I’m genuinely curious after reading your other posts towards @shrapnel and based on what I’ve read on here this seems to be something that’s been occurring since at least the 90’s? I’ve only been here 7 years, can’t really say I’ve seen a big change in elk hunting during that time span. I never knew of hunting this way until ~2017 when I was driving out of the mountains on the back side of Canyon Ferry and saw a line of trucks surrounding a piece of state land (see photo below for BURNT spot).

Do you think this would have been “ok” say 30 years ago when the population was much lower and say only a couple rigs went down there?

Based on what I’ve seen it’s more a combination of things that makes me not want to partake, but maybe 30+ years ago that road didn’t have as many rigs driving on it or near as many people hunting that spot which would have made it a bit more intriguing (not shooting from road or truck but actually parking and hunting).
The permanent swarms of elk living there now and not 10-20 miles south is a new thing (10-15) years. Elk habits have changed. Hunter habits haven’t. This is 1996. Same place. Big weather pushed bulls off Turners and Dehanns and a couple guys got trigger happy. Others showed up with tags…

72FC9F8F-25C2-47B9-AD15-19AFC3A69597.jpeg

The permanent swarms of elk living there now and not 10-20 miles south is a new thing (10-15) years. Elk habits have changed. Hunter habits haven’t. This is 1996. Same place. Big weather pushed bulls off Turners and Dehanns and a couple guys got trigger happy. Others showed up with tags…

View attachment 250607
I’m sure they told some proud hunting stories. I wonder if those that just showed up with a tag were honest about it or if they told some tale of what a badass elk hunter they were?

I might be the only one, but I am glad that all those people who frequent the state sections don't muster up the gumption to climb the mountains and kill the last bull there before I get to it.
I have never seen one of the slaughters while it was going on, but I have seen the maneuvering to surround the elk, and gut piles in the borrow pit when it was over. I was afraid to stay and watch.

I’m sure they told some proud hunting stories. I wonder if those that just showed up with a tag were honest about it or if they told some tale of what a badass elk hunter they were?
Nope. I don’t think anybody had elaborate hunt tales. It was simply some of “turners” elk came into where they were vulnerable and they whacked a pile of them. The hunt tales on places like this are only from a special breed cross-eyed idiot crowd that are more prevalent these days. Odd ducks.

Back