2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

Why are you guys so attached to Turner's elk? Light em up and keep em off the highway! :D

My cousin is married to the game warden in this part of the world. The stories told over beers are some of the best I've heard. Both sad and entertaining. If I remember right he hauled off 7 elk from one of those shootouts a couple years ago and issued more than a dozen citations, and those were just the ones that stuck around after he told them too. Many shooting didn't even have elk tags.

I still stand by assessment, that many Montanan's don't value wildlife or the pursuit. Its shoot/kill at all costs. My favorite is those hats/Tshirts with FUIGME on them. Everyone hunts for different reasons, but elk along a highway brings out the real kooks.

Hunts like these are a recipe for disaster. Makes "hunting" look bad.

Attachments

• GLarson_ReceiptForDisaster.JPG
    GLarson_ReceiptForDisaster.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 44
Why are you guys so attached to Turner's elk? Light em up and keep em off the highway! :D

My cousin is married to the game warden in this part of the world. The stories told over beers are some of the best I've heard. Both sad and entertaining. If I remember right he hauled off 7 elk from one of those shootouts a couple years ago and issued more than a dozen citations, and those were just the ones that stuck around after he told them too. Many shooting didn't even have elk tags.

I still stand by assessment, that many Montanan's don't value wildlife or the pursuit. Its shoot/kill at all costs. My favorite is those hats/Tshirts with FUIGME on them. Everyone hunts for different reasons, but elk along a highway brings out the real kooks.
B448E3C8-F347-4212-9339-A0A6C9D49397.jpeg

I have a picture of the Korner klub crew with around a dozen bulls lined up after they crossed off dehahns along highway onto the piece that joins the west side of that state. It was this time of year and most of the tagholders were obese, one a woman in untied tennis shoes. That was 1995 I think.

I’m amazed at the amount of road hunting that goes on here and the amount of bragging done by people who kill elk doing it. I took my son with me last weekend and we drove past one of the scenes like mentioned above. I explained to him what was going on and how we didn’t participate in it, because it’s unsafe and it’s not hunting. He agreed with me and I was proud of him for that. We ended up hiking up a mountain in waist deep snow and didn’t see anything, but at least we weren’t road hunting.

I think that can be said of many, many things. And I don't think it's exclusive to one state.

The behavior isn't unique to elk hunting, but as many old time FWPers have told me "Elk make people stupid."

Apparently fair chase means driving your car to the side of the road.

As bad as I want a Colorado elk, I am not going to park and wait for the herd to cross the road and then light em up. Legal or not, it's f^&*ed up

Last edited by a moderator:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back