2022 Toyota Tundra

It’s nice to see Toyota finally decide to make the Tundra as good as the Tacoma. I am on my second Tacoma and wouldn’t change it for another vehicle EXCEPT the new Tundra Pro. I went down to our local Toyota Dealer to order and was told a non refundable $1k and a year out before I would see it IF at all! I walked out and will be going else where! Has anyone else had this happen to them with the Tundra? I feel like my local dealership is trying to screw me over more than normal!

I slid off the road in 4h a month or so ago. I punched it trying to get some momentum through the ditch to get back on the road and the traction control ended up cutting power and killing my momentum. By the time I hit my mts button and selected deep snow I was stopped. Dont know if it would have mattered. Got pulled out by a good Samaritan.

A few weeks later I was able to get through some fresh snow that was up to the rocker panels in the deep snow setting no problem. On the way out it had warmed up and gotten a little slushy and had one section where I put it in 4 lo and locked the rear diff to get through.

In my experience the traction control does a great job in places you don't need any wheel spin, but will absolutely hose you in deep snow. This is in both the tundra and a ram I owned previously.

I slid off the road in 4h a month or so ago. I punched it trying to get some momentum through the ditch to get back on the road and the traction control ended up cutting power and killing my momentum. By the time I hit my mts button and selected deep snow I was stopped. Dont know if it would have mattered. Got pulled out by a good Samaritan.

A few weeks later I was able to get through some fresh snow that was up to the rocker panels in the deep snow setting no problem. On the way out it had warmed up and gotten a little slushy and had one section where I put it in 4 lo and locked the rear diff to get through.

In my experience the traction control does a great job in places you don't need any wheel spin, but will absolutely hose you in deep snow. This is in both the tundra and a ram I owned previously.
I have had a couple occasions where the traction control got me stuck or more stuck. I usually turn mine off in slick, snowy or muddy situations just because of that. Especially on those horribly crowned, Eastern Mt Gumbo roads!👍🏻

Meh, maybe I'm a bit more abusive than most, but my tundra gets stuck far more than my '84 pickup did. Just the other day in fact, in a canyon without cell reception and my 8 yr old with me. Though it does get around better than my 93 pickup, but mainly because (IMO) I have more momentum.

The two things I really struggle with, and it was evident in the video JR posted with the Tundra engineer, is this absurd idea that because I bought a truck I don't care about mpg... I routinely try to take my fit hunting, because the tundra gets such shitty gas mileage. I would downsize to 2 cars and just commute with the truck if it was cost effective. But it's not. So instead I get to keep the feeding the consumerism beast. Despite being a very loyal toyota fan, I likely won't buy another because, I hate spending 3x as much on gas as I do on a tag/license. Second, is that I want "features", I do not. I want something that won't break, ever. I don't care how it looks, I don't need any creature comforts outside of cruise and AC, no heated seats, power windows, bluetooth, a screen (at all!), hell even carpet is a waste. I just don't want it to ever let me down.

You have MTS, which is basically Atrac with some extra options. Some of the modes cant be engaged at higher speeds. So Atrac is for 4lo and mts is for 4hi.

Gen 2 tundras don't have MTS, so it's Atrac for 4lo and 4hi. Although, I believe it behaves differently in 4lo than it does in 4hi.

Atrac is very capable. Not as responsive or as straightforward as a locker, but it's cheaper, simpler, does most of what a locker can do, and doesn't have some of the negative, and potentially expensive drawbacks of a locker.

Screenshot_20221217_154027_Cloud.jpg

Meh, maybe I'm a bit more abusive than most, but my tundra gets stuck far more than my '84 pickup did. Just the other day in fact, in a canyon without cell reception and my 8 yr old with me. Though it does get around better than my 93 pickup, but mainly because (IMO) I have more momentum.

The two things I really struggle with, and it was evident in the video JR posted with the Tundra engineer, is this absurd idea that because I bought a truck I don't care about mpg... I routinely try to take my fit hunting, because the tundra gets such shitty gas mileage. I would downsize to 2 cars and just commute with the truck if it was cost effective. But it's not. So instead I get to keep the feeding the consumerism beast. Despite being a very loyal toyota fan, I likely won't buy another because, I hate spending 3x as much on gas as I do on a tag/license. Second, is that I want "features", I do not. I want something that won't break, ever. I don't care how it looks, I don't need any creature comforts outside of cruise and AC, no heated seats, power windows, bluetooth, a screen (at all!), hell even carpet is a waste. I just don't want it to ever let me down.
💯 on the gas mileage! It is absolutely BS that we cannot have a truck that gets 28+. I do get annoyed with all of the $&@ on the truck. I had a 79 full sized Chevy blazer with a V8 400 bare bones inside, hand crank windows, nothing electronic, black & silver w/tinted windows. Freakin sexy as hell! There wasn’t a place it couldn’t go!! Never broke down! You couldn’t pass a gas station without filling up though 🙄. I miss that rig!

Have you considered selling your Tundra? Demand is still pretty high.

It’s nice to see Toyota finally decide to make the Tundra as good as the Tacoma. I am on my second Tacoma and wouldn’t change it for another vehicle EXCEPT the new Tundra Pro. I went down to our local Toyota Dealer to order and was told a non refundable $1k and a year out before I would see it IF at all! I walked out and will be going else where! Has anyone else had this happen to them with the Tundra? I feel like my local dealership is trying to screw me over more than normal!

Most small to midsized dealerships will only get a handful of TRD Pros a year and already have a list a mile long. Toyota doesn't built custom orders, dealerships get what Toyota allocates to them.

Sorry, assumed you had a newer 4runner/tacoma.

Does yours automatically control brakes when while in 4hi in scenarios described earlier?

Kind of. It has the same traditional traction control that every newer car has, but the advanced A-TRAC system is only 4lo. The current generation 4Runners are still built in the same Japanese factory as the FJs were, and use the same system.

Screenshot_20221217_160918_Chrome.jpg

You could walk. mtmuley

Kind of. It has the same traditional traction control that every newer car has, but the advanced A-TRAC system is only 4lo. The current generation 4Runners are still built in the same Japanese factory as the FJs were, and use the same system.

View attachment 256050
I could be wrong but I'd guess it's effectively still on in 4hi, just not working as aggressively.

Traction controls have changed/rebranded so many things it's hard to know what's what. MTS is A-trac....same thing with more settings. Virtually all electronic traction controls are atrac/trac. Some combination of throttling motor, working breaks, ABS, VSC. Auto-LSD does the exact same thing as Atrac except only to the rear wheels in 2wd. You can turn off Atrac but keep the VSC on. Yet Atrac and VSC have essentially the same abilities, just sensing different things.

Can someone explain the rear axle lockers? I have a 2008 tundra I’m getting ready to upgrade. It got around about as good as any half ton I have owned. Do I need to have a rear locker on these new trucks to match that performance? Seems like these new pickups suck when things get a little hairy. Is that because they need the rear locker?
Lockers are great, although if the snow is deep and hard enough they are worthless.

My '16 f150 has 130k on it with nothing but brakes and fluid changes done to date. I'm happy with it but seems it might be a good time to re-up so as not to have any big repair costs or have reliability issues at the wrong time. I have heard rumblings about the tundra fuel economy not being what it was billed to be. What are owners seeing?

Also seen various comments from people saying overall new vehicle reliability across the companies since covid seems to be down. Makes me tempted to try to find a '19 or 20' model year F150 with low miles instead of buying new.

Yep I had an issue with the wastegate on mine. Only happened once, and they couldn't duplicate it at the dealership. The current problem with mine is the AC. The dealer has had the parts ordered for 3 weeks and still can't get an ETA. We're having heat advisories here so I'm getting a bit agitated with Toyota. I guess expecting the AC to work on a 3 month old, $60,000 truck is too much to ask for. Frankly, I wish I had bought a F150....

Do you have an update on how this all played out? They they get it fixed?

Back