Caribou Gear

2022 Hunting Plans

This thread has me going through my priorities...Here's how my whiteboard is shaping up.

My Bonus-Son's enlistment in Anchorage will end in a year so it looks like if we are gonna do a fishing trip to AK, it needs to happen this Jun-Jul-Aug '22. Will try to lock that in in February or March. Think that trip will be the family summer vacation, and do some time in Talkeetna/Denali to finish out the week.

Think I'll take my long shots at the Non PP states for Deer and Elk. Not Really interested in Antelope from either one

As for states i'm collecting points in

UT is Long shots, low odds, one and done if I draw D-E-S
WY will be point collecting for 2 more years D-E-A then I will burn points, one species per year, in the order of A-E-D. 4,5,6 pts.
CO will take some more research on my part, and finding a willing partner or group. I'd like to find an "every year" unit and couple guys.
OR not building any points or applying
WA not building any points or applying
AZ way behind on elk points
NV 9 elk points 2 antelope and 2 deer points I'll be happy to burn 'em if I can get drawn. I'm in for sheep but not expecting it.
CA I'll keep chasing a mule deer archery tag I'm close so close.... Long shot to draw a Roosevelt tag. Archery Antelope slightly better odds than a lotto ticket. Since we get 2 deer tags, I'll lock in an OTC tag for sure.

ND or KS - one of these for pheasant with my Dad. Depends on the hatch report. It's gonna cost me a week of vacation but I need to do this with him...

With my youngest daughter playing varsity basketball, NOV, DEC, and JAN are now blacked out on the calendar until 2025.
Financial goals: buildup my riding and pack string to make my own DIY wilderness hunts and scouting trips.

Spring turkey hunt at home in Michigan.

Go to Indiana for dove hunting.

We'll be putting in for antelope in MT and buying another point for the same in WY.

A week of grouse hunting in North Maine Woods in October.

If we draw MT antelope it's going to be hectic. Hunt will start 10 Oct, I have to be in Maine for my grouse hunt 16 October!😳

I forgot that I'll also be adding another Michigan elk point and Maine moose point

Last edited:
This thread has me going through my priorities...Here's how my whiteboard is shaping up.

My Bonus-Son's enlistment in Anchorage will end in a year so it looks like if we are gonna do a fishing trip to AK, it needs to happen this Jun-Jul-Aug '22. Will try to lock that in in February or March. Think that trip will be the family summer vacation, and do some time in Talkeetna/Denali to finish out the week.

Think I'll take my long shots at the Non PP states for Deer and Elk. Not Really interested in Antelope from either one

As for states i'm collecting points in

UT is Long shots, low odds, one and done if I draw D-E-S
WY will be point collecting for 2 more years D-E-A then I will burn points, one species per year, in the order of A-E-D. 4,5,6 pts.
CO will take some more research on my part, and finding a willing partner or group. I'd like to find an "every year" unit and couple guys.
OR not building any points or applying
WA not building any points or applying
AZ way behind on elk points
NV 9 elk points 2 antelope and 2 deer points I'll be happy to burn 'em if I can get drawn. I'm in for sheep but not expecting it.
CA I'll keep chasing a mule deer archery tag I'm close so close.... Long shot to draw a Roosevelt tag. Archery Antelope slightly better odds than a lotto ticket. Since we get 2 deer tags, I'll lock in an OTC tag for sure.

ND or KS - one of these for pheasant with my Dad. Depends on the hatch report. It's gonna cost me a week of vacation but I need to do this with him...

With my youngest daughter playing varsity basketball, NOV, DEC, and JAN are now blacked out on the calendar until 2025.
Financial goals: buildup my riding and pack string to make my own DIY wilderness hunts and scouting trips.
Good luck on all of those plans.

Your financial goals are about the same as mine. I want to get a good riding string and pack string for my family. I want to show my wife and kids some of the remote places that mean so much to me, plus it's getting harder every year to get as deep as I want to hunting. Horses would help in that regard, especially come packout time.

We are set for Red Stag in New Zealand in May. Hope no Covid issues.

WY for pronghorn if I get the draw I want and we should have enough points.

And would love to get a deer on my own land where my cabin is. I haven’t got one there yet and I bought the land and built my cabin 20 years ago. There is more sign there now than there used to be....

And pigs all year

Hopefully talk my buddies into another MT deer hunt.
Should have enough points for a solo MT antelope hunt.
Keep building elk pts for MT and WY.

Back to Africa again ... I think. Barbary sheep and red letchwe for sure. Maybe a nyala and/or bushbuck. And there's a fabulous +44" gemsbuck BULL with my name on it (cows generally have longer horns). I already have a fine gemsbuck specimen but a pair to go with the pair of kudu I already have would be nice. 20201010_113425.jpg

Planning my first ever elk hunt with my daughter next year. Putting in for a NM (maybe someday) tag and a couple cow tags in CO for an adventure in the mountains if nothing else. We’ve never been out west and just can’t wait for the adventure. Hopefully we’ll have some meat on the trip home as well!

Well our season 2021-2022 season goes until Jan 31st for deer and Feb 28th for squirrel and rabbit. I still have Arkansas deer tags burning a hole in my pocket. They go to Feb 28th. This one ain't over by a long shot.

For 2022-2023, the plan is, in chronological order:

Spring turkey in Louisiana and Arkansas.
Wyoming deer with a good friend. Really excited for this one.
Louisiana deer
Arkansas deer
All the Louisiana deer hunting I can possibly make time for.
More Arkansas deer.

I hunt a few times a month, but here are my ‘big hunts’ I am planning:

New Zealand -
Jan - summer hunts filling the freezer
March - roar hunting the same area I hunted last year and shot a decent stag. It’s a draw ‘block’
April - more roar hunting
May - Fallow rut
June - winter stags and chamois. I have a good draw block.
July - tahr rut. I have a very good draw block to hunt the South Island west coast.
Oct and Nov - I have an Idaho deer tag. Planning to get a non resident combo in MT and maybe a WY deer tag.

Edit to update - my freezer filling plans are working out, shot a nice red deer spike today for summer bbq’s.

Last edited:
I only turkey hunted a couple evenings in 2021 and no big game hunting. I plan to do some turkey hunting in SE Montana this spring, fishing at Ft. Peck, hunting Co unit 49 2nd season rifle elk, and lots of coon/cat training with my new Leopard Hound.

Early spring turkey in a yet-to-be-determined southern state. Spring turkeys in Vt. and NY. Walleyes in Northern Quebec in June and August. Waterfowl in Saskatchewan late Sept/early October (DIY). Whitetails in Vt. and NY. Hopefully draw another Kansas Whitetail tag as the farmer has invited us back for 2022. Skipping western elk this year. Probably buy some points.

Good odds for the unit I want a cow elk archery tag in Nevada. If not, OTC archery spike in Utah.
I'm wondering what unit and kind of archery bull tag my 2 Colorado points will get me? I'm not sure how many hunts I have left so if not this year, it needs to be soon.

Alaska DIY Caribou August
September Colorado Elk/ Mule deer

Normal in state turkey, waterfowl, bear, whitetail, trapping etc etc etc.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back