Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2021 Hunt Plans

For sure-
AZ Javelina x2- archery in Jan and HAM in Feb
NM Spring Turkey
AZ OTC spring and fall bear
AZ OTC Deer

Draw-
AZ Elk/Mule deer/Antelope/Sheep. All long shots except elk I am getting pretty close.

UT- General Deer/Elk- I have enough PP to draw an easy general deer, but thinking about switching to a more desirable/harder to draw unit.

WY- Elk/Deer/Antelope points. Put in for Cow elk if I don't draw a bull tag in AZ

NM- Elk/Deer/Oryx

I am setting my sights on this year to be the year of the bear in AZ. I have been trying the past 3 years but really haven't given it my all. I plan to invest a lot more time this year to make it happen.

That time of the year when I start planning on 2021 hunts. I am fully retired so it will not be as robust as 2020 hunt was.

Antelope - Putting in for Type 1 any antelope, plus type 6 and trying for as many leftovers as I can get. I tagged out on antelope in 2020 and love the meat. This likely to be my first hunt and depends on which area I draw.
Mule Deer - Putting in for Type 1 tag for area I know to hold bucks and does that can be hunted, have not thought out alternatives yet if I do not draw, but definitely want a muley next year buck or doe (meat). Also putting in for a couple type 6 licenses and if any leftovers for my area, I will definitely try to scarf them up.
Elk - Hunting on general
Moose - putting in but don't expect to draw but looking to get preference points
Bear - plan to have general tag just in case, but not actively hunting one based on what I learned from the 2020 hunts for the area I hunted elk
Small game, plan to increase the number of times I go out for rabbits and grouse.
Fishing - Elk hunt will also involve some fishing time. I caught some massive wild rainbows on some BLM land and going back for more

Still hope to find a fishing and hunting partner that can do most of the hunts with me. Ideally one that is not tied to a lot of booze. Don't mind drinking at camp once guns are unloaded and put away but during the hunt and when yer driving makes me nervous. I only drink beer myself and only at camp after hunt is over for the day.
Adding to my hunts above:
Turkey - I saw several while antelope hunting. Just have to find private land permission or hunt state land. BLM land is inaccessible where I hunt.
Pheasant - found an area where I think I can bag the 3 bird limit
Grouse - saw a lot of sharptail in my area so I will be carrying two guns when I hunt antelope, one a shot gun. Maybe go out for grouse alone. @Big Fin would pause antelope just to get the grouse LOL

As of right now the plan is
CA local deer, maybe a elk/sheep tag
MT deer should draw this year
Long shot draws in
UT, NM, MT
Buy points in WY, SD, UT, CO
Might even build a new rifle for 2021!😃

I'm relatively confident of my plans on this point:

Deer only non-resident combo in MT. We will have to buy a point and hope to draw as we used our points this year on the deer/elk combo. Plus we'll buy a point (assuming we don't draw) for antelope. We'll probably buy a couple deer B tags too. The plan is to fly up and hunt around Havre for a week in November 2021.

Points for deer, elk, and antelope in WY.

Points for deer and elk in CO.

I'm hoping to be living in eastern TN by the start of the 2021 hunting season, but it could be much later in the year. So there's a chance I could be cutting my teeth as a TN hunter late next year as a non-resident, trying to learn for the 2022 season as a resident. Here's hoping some of the HT eastern TN crowd will be willing to help a fellow out.

edit to add: if I am up in TN before 2021 hunting season, I'll probably reach out to some buddies in Indiana to try and schedule a weekend or 2 to hunt with them (probably ducks or pheasants). It's only a +/- 7.5 hour drive from TN compared to 18+ from S. Florida lol.

April/May - CO turkey
First week of June - ID spring bear
End of June/Beginning of July - Hawaii goats? Still figuring this one out.
September - CO Muzzleloader Deer
October - WY Doe Antelope
November/December - CO Elk

Saskatchewan:
OTC Whitetail either-sex
OTC Whitetail doe
OTC Archery Mule Deer either-sex
OTC Archery Elk either-sex
Draw Mule Deer doe
Draw Moose
Draw Elk

... and if this goddamn border re-opens

Montana:
OTC Bear/Turkey
Draw Elk/Deer/Antelope

Wyoming:
Draw Bison/Elk/Deer/Antelope

Utah/NM/Colorado/Idaho/etc
Points and random Deer/Elk/Antelope applications

Build points for 2022 - will be in work-ups or deployed for 2022. Will get my AZ loyalty points this year to help with 2023.

Draws for;
New Mexico elk
Arizona elk
Wyoming antelope, maybe mule deer

South Dakota black hills turkey is happening
Possible January 2022 coues deer
Ohio turkey/whitetail

I'll enter the Maine moose lotto again, 19 base points
Kentucky elk

Rundown of my season, please note anything denoted with an * is subject to change based on the draw Gods.

April/May - Spring Turkey in CO
May/June/July - Summer Scouting / fishing trips
August - Yearly masochistic OTC Archery Antelope in CO
August - OTC Archery deer in AZ
September - Archery elk* (AZ>NM>CO)
October - Muzzleloader deer* - NM
November - Rifle Deer - CO
December/Jan - OTC Archery Deer in AZ

Lots of long weekends and miles on the truck!

Happening soon:
AZ Javelina
NM OTC Turkey

Applying for:
AZ Elk, deer
NM Elk, deer, Oryx, etc.
CO Elk point

Depending on draw results:
Wyoming antelope?
NM & AZ OTC Bear?

I have learned I can plan extensively for the upcoming fall, but it is ALWAYS too full and looks radically different from what was planned.

With that, I am fairly certain I will have a UT early rifle elk tag this year. I am looking very forward to it and will plan around that.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all draw some great tags!

Have lived & hunted in AL/TN my entire life and have never gotten serious about turkey hunting (shame on me!). I’m declaring 2021 the year of the gobbler.

I'm primarily hunting in Alabama for deer and pigs. Deer season runs into early February and pigs can be hunted all year. Small game season goes until early March. Turkey season is in March and April.

I went to Kentucky back in November for archery deer hunting but the weather turned warm and no bucks large enough came within range. I've considered going to Ohio in the Fall but may go to Costa Rica for deep sea fishing instead.

I may get back into a lease I was in a couple of years ago. Otherwise, I hunt public land.

Hunting everything I can in Pa.
Deer, bear, turkey, and small game.
Planning on heading to Wyoming with a general tag if the draw works out.
Would anyone have any suggestions near Woodslanding?

Assuming I can’t get it together and kill a big buck on the OTC tag this month , I’m going to get an archery Kaibab tag, unless there’s major point creep.
Also going to AK to hunt moose.
Might go hunt deer in NM
Hopefully tag along on a desert sheep hunt somewhere.

I’ll apply for sheep and goats but probably mainly do points for deer and elk. Gonna try to be home a little more this year.

Will give spring turkey a first ever try, unlikely but maybe also spring bear
Will do general deer/elk, toss my hat into the ring/start building points on antelope, moose, and why not at least try for a bison tag?
after that, get the dogs out and chase as much pheasant as I can. (My dads really looking forward to that)

2021 has already started for me with my most recent trip to Az chasing deer and javelina with archery. It was a blast. Just returned home a few days ago. I did a write up of the hunt here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/az-archery-deer-and-javelina.304280/#post-3130555

Next will be more CA waterfowl hunting, then March-May CA turkey season, spring striped bass, then summer ocean salmon and rock cod, then late summer tuna out of San Diego.

2021 California (my home state) big game will probably only consist local deer, but maybe I get lucky in the draw.

2021 elk I'll put in for most of the west. I don't have my eye on drawing a great tag this year, but am considering trying for an any elk Oregon muzzleloader tag, only because I might be in the same general area deer hunting. If I don't draw in Oregon I might try an archery Colorado tag or a Wyoming type 6 tag.

2021 Whitetails are always on tap every year at my farm in Southern Indiana. November rut action with the bow and arrow, something I haven't missed for 30 years.

2021 Mule deer might be southern Oregon this year if I draw, I'm very close. Another mule deer option for me this year is Utah rifle or muzzleloader.

Of course this could all change if I get especially lucky and draw one of the wildcards like AZ, NV, ID, or NM. While speculation is fun, there are so many unknowns and sometimes the various draws kicks out an anomaly, I'm living proof of it having drawn an AZ elk tag last year.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back