2021 Hunt Plans

WyoDoug

That time of the year when I start planning on 2021 hunts. I am fully retired so it will not be as robust as 2020 hunt was.

Antelope - Putting in for Type 1 any antelope, plus type 6 and trying for as many leftovers as I can get. I tagged out on antelope in 2020 and love the meat. This likely to be my first hunt and depends on which area I draw.
Mule Deer - Putting in for Type 1 tag for area I know to hold bucks and does that can be hunted, have not thought out alternatives yet if I do not draw, but definitely want a muley next year buck or doe (meat). Also putting in for a couple type 6 licenses and if any leftovers for my area, I will definitely try to scarf them up.
Elk - Hunting on general (Edit: Elk hunt likely cancelled this year due to budget)
Moose - putting in but don't expect to draw but looking to get preference points
Bear - plan to have general tag just in case, but not actively hunting one based on what I learned from the 2020 hunts for the area I hunted elk (Edit: Likely cancelled this year due to budget)
Small game, plan to increase the number of times I go out for rabbits and grouse.
Fishing - Elk hunt will also involve some fishing time. I caught some massive wild rainbows on some BLM land and going back for more

Still hope to find a fishing and hunting partner that can do most of the hunts with me. Ideally one that is not tied to a lot of booze. Don't mind drinking at camp once guns are unloaded and put away but during the hunt and when yer driving makes me nervous. I only drink beer myself and only at camp after hunt is over for the day.

Last edited:
Lots of fishing between now and august.
spring- a friend and I might do ID black bear
September-MT elk and deer if I can scout up a big buck
Sept/oct-my wife will probably burn her 8 WY lope points in central WY, maybe we’ll draw MT rifle lope too
November- my big goal this year is get a buck, muley or whitetail, the next step up. I’ve killed a lot of good representatives but nothing most would consider a big deer.
After that, chase the hell out of roosters with the dog. Hopefully get out more for waterfowl next year too.

I'm planning to draw a MT deer & elk combo and then cross my fingers that international travel can be done without too much drama. I will have two points so should draw, but I haven't seen this years draw odds.

Back here my NZ plans are:
Dec - Kingfish
Jan - Red stags in the high country
Feb - Sika stags in the high country
March & April - Red stag roar and chamois
May - Fallow rut and tahr rut
June - Red stags down low

My plans are known to change regularly, but here's what I have planned for now:

Apply for long shot elk units in AZ but expect not to draw..building points
Apply for long shot elk/deer units in UT but expect not to draw..building points. Just points for other species.
Get points for elk, deer, antelope, moose in WY
Get points for elk, deer, antelope, moose in CO

Apply for moose in NH (slim odds)

Apply for elk in WI (slim odds)

Have my dad apply for a higher point muzzy elk tag in CO (hoping to draw this as he would've had 25% chance this year). May try to pick up a reissue tag in same unit if I can either for elk or another species.
Backup western hunt will be a reissue tag in CO.

Will also hunt archery and shotgun deer in MN.

WY: MD or cow elk. Maybe Antelope PP, and/or doe antelope rifle or bow.

IA: archery turkey, rabbit, deer. Also gun deer, turkey, squirrel, geese, ducks, doves, pheasant.

I can tell you where I WON’T be hunting & spending my hard earned money - Michigan, California, New York, Illinois, Connecticut, & New Jersey.

Montana, South Dakota, Alaska, & Texas - please get ready for a bit of my tourism/hunting/travel dollars in 2021! Love ya!

Build points in WY for deer and elk.
Long shot UT elk draw...keep building points there
Black bear in MN
First rifle elk in CO
Whitetail in southern MN in the 'Ten-Acre Wood'. WooHoo!

Hoping the world get backs to "normal" :
Turkeys in Vt. and NY in May
Walleyes on the St.Lawrence River, NY in May
Walleyes in Northern Quebec in June and August
Waterfowl in Saskatchewan late September
Whitetails in Vt. and NY October - December
Cow elk and doe antelope in Wyoming late October/early November

As I've ever only hunted Alberta as a resident, all my hunts will be here.
May- 3 days booked to hunt a bait site for black bear.
Sept-Nov- Will draw my antlered muledeer tag, lots of 180+ in the area, so hoping to finally put one on the wall.
The rest of Sept-November will be for whitetail/bull elk as those are general tags. We found an area this year that holds a ton of elk(100+ herds), and the biggest whitetail I've ever had cross hairs on and not been able to shoot(due to deadfall blocking all vitals).

April-May:
Turkeys in WI

September-November:
Deer in WI-Bow and Gun
Grouse in WI
Antelope in WY-Burning 7 pts in the Special
*Elk in WY
*Elk in WI
*Elk in PA
*Deer in WY

*So you’re tellin’ me there’s a chance

Arkansas and Louisiana turkey.

Applying for NM deer. Will be longshot draws.

Applying for Montana or Wyoming antelope. Leaning toward Montana. But should have enough points in Wyoming to draw one of the units I have been eyeing in the special. Kind of torn, I may apply for both.

Skipping applying in Idaho this year, nothing to do with the changes, just have time for so many.

Points for deer, antelope, and elk in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona.

If I don't draw any of those I am thinking of making a public land whitetail archery trip to Missouri during the rut. And of course I will have my 6 Louisiana deer tags to tote around in the woods down here as well.

Still on the fence for next year depending what my buddies and I come up with. Unfortunately, I can only pull off one out of state hunt a year, at least for a couple more years until the boys get older.
We’ve got 6 points for Wyoming elk and one for muleys.
2 in Colorado for elk and muley
6 for SD Black Hills
I can probably afford one more state to build points in, so I need to decide which. Nevada muley is intriguing, but Arizona seems to be a better state if I want the smorgasbord of critters

I drew a couple of out of state tags this year which I was excited about, but it ate up the bulk of my vacation time and I didn't get to do nearly as much deer and elk hunting here in Montana as I would have liked. Kind of a blessing and a curse I guess. I will probably be a little more conservative on my out of state apps next year, still applying in all the states I usually do but swinging for the fences in most of them.

Long shots- AZ elk, antelope, sheep. NM elk, ibex, aoudad, deer. NV deer, elk, antelope, sheep. UT deer, elk, moose, goat. WY deer, elk. ID moose. MT sheep, goat.

If I don't draw anything I will likely try and draw a coues tag in AZ or antelope in WY. I might be going to CO to help my dad on a deer hunt if he decides to apply. Otherwise I just plan to spend a lot of time on MT deer and elk, and do more waterfowl hunting.

I'm putting in for SD as always. Thinking about hunting Kansas...just wingin that one. I know nothing about hunting there other than I've always wanted to. Plan to hunt rifle season in WI, the entire season. I have a GSP puppy that I'd like to get on some birds next fall too.

Standard MT stuff. I told myself that I'd hunt more upland birds next year so hoping to tag along with friends that have dogs on at least a couple hunts.

Doing some cougar hunting tonight in Bozeman ;)

Last edited:
current 2021 application plan:

wyoming mule deer buck
wyoming pronghorn buck
wyoming pronghorn doe x2
wyoming white tail doe x2
wyoming bull elk (just a long shot unit in hopes of a random draw)

new mexico mule deer buck
new mexico pronghorn buck (hey miracles happen from time to time)
new mexico bull elk (undecided if i will or not, might as well throw my name in the hat though)

colorado muzzleloader pronghorn doe
colorado 3rd rifle mule deer buck
colorado 4th season limited cow
colorado 1st rifle cow or leftover late season (december) cow (if other applications don't work out and i therefore have time for it, and can manage to grab one)

Mine will be

Arizona long shot elk and deer
California mule deer, will put in for elk and antelope but won’t draw.
Colorado Deer and elk points
Idaho- rifle elk (already purchased tag)
Montana hopefully draw elk/deer combo
Wyoming elk point

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back