2020 Spring Bears Thread

I sit here with calipers thinking I was only 1/2” away from making state minimums on 2 different bears. Well, 1/2” is a lot of BEAR! 1/2” in skull measurements probably equates to 100 lbs in body mass measurements. I am a newbie to bear hunting but I feel that truly big bears have to have genetics, feed, and age cumulatively. That extra half inch is going to be hard to spot from 100 yards. My solution... Just keep shooting bears.

I sit here with calipers thinking I was only 1/2” away from making state minimums on 2 different bears. Well, 1/2” is a lot of BEAR! 1/2” in skull measurements probably equates to 100 lbs in body mass measurements. I am a newbie to bear hunting but I feel that truly big bears have to have genetics, feed, and age cumulatively. That extra half inch is going to be hard to spot from 100 yards. My solution... Just keep shooting bears.
that is exactly what I didn't want to hear. My in-the-field big headed boar is a full inch and a half shy of the B&C minimum! I guess I need to shoot more bears to better calibrate my eyes.

I never even thought my bear would be that big. I knew it was big, but didn't think it was B&C, let alone potentially B&C All-time big. You see pictures of them on cam, then see them in person from a tree stand and the same bear can look completely different. Also, hunting over bait with easy to identify points of reference to judge size makes it much easier.

An 18 inch bear may very well be a trophy for some areas, I mean Pope and Young considers 18 inches an entry. It's all relative to where you hunt, I have three low 70s Antelopes in the house that I worked my ass off for and would consider trophies for the area of WY they were shot on.

I’m in WY and I’ve had zero bear activity at my bait and no fresh sign. A chipmunk and crow have been my only hits in the last 10 days. I have found several elk sheds at least.

We glassed some primo country for a day and a half with nary a bear. We did see a bunch of elk, including two newborn calves. We drank some really good beer, burned some firewood, and the dogs ate a lot of elk shit. I found out a Mystery Ranch pack buckle will melt if it's too close too the fire, and I found out I need to redo the seal gasket on my topper.

DD72FB48-8E21-4430-8437-44F680E18E2C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading to idaho unit 1 tuesday. Kicking back at home waiting for the holiday weekend crowd to go home, then its time to get after some bears.

it dumped a few inches on the top today so plan to spend next week as it was just starting to green up. Have been running across a few grizzly tracks and letting them have that area

IMG_20200525_210050.jpg
Bear update in SW Montana...second day, 0 bears. Yesterday was at 7700 feet around snowline and wasnt finding green grass/flowers. Dropped to 5800 tonight and see alot more vegetation. Glassing closed roads...Still have 5 good days of hunting! Stay tuned!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back